Print Story SCO/Lunix-heads only
By BadDoggie (Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 08:44:21 PM EST) Lunix, Linux, fuck, oops (all tags)
Wife's computer destroyed by MBR-eating malware that shut down the machine within 15sec. of trying to run WinXP repair. But the conversion didn't go so well.

Need to recover files.

My wife is now using Asshole Armadillo or some such version of SCO/Lunix (or is it not cool to use this terminology since PJ quit?). Latest Ubuntu, first as a LiveCD. Surprise surprise, miscommunication, Âll the files she hadn't backed up are gone after she'd gone ahead and installed it directly on the lappie instead of sticking to the LiveCD for a few days.

She claims I said everything'd be OK. I deny but know my memory is about as trusty as that of a small cactus. So a lot of files are not there.

Anyone out there able to help with PE Builder or some other proggie to get these damned files back? Consider the MBR destroyed as well as some tables.

< Still in one piece | First weekend in a new home >
SCO/Lunix-heads only | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A quote: by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 12:28:45 PM EST
Long-suffering Wife: My love, this screen says that replacing XP with Ubuntu will remove all Windows files, documents and everything else. You said they'd be ok; are you sure? Should I just quit the installation?
Husband: Oh, are you going ahead with the installation?
LSW: Yes, like I said ten minutes ago.
H: Um, you'll lose your Windows files but will be able to put everything you've backed up back on, it'll just convert them to a Linux format. You use iTunes for music, right? [long anti-Apple rant redacted] Your music files should be fine if you have them stored as mp3s; anything you have as a Windows file will go.
LSW: OK, thank you *clicks button*

I told it not to mess with my partitions, but Places shows only one 100GB partition instead of the 60GB and 40GB partitions I had before. Since it removed my partitions in spite of being told not to, I can only assume the files are gone. Music downloading will commence during the week.

PS by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 12:35:43 PM EST
Now I have calmed down, I note that I backed up everything that felt important: admin stuff, work stuff, PDFs of all my certificates, big nerdy spreadsheets, photos and everything from my desktop and Favourites folders. I didn't back up trivial things, and since the stuff I didn't back up I considered trivial, I can probably afford to lose it.

The most annoying thing is that I lost 13 seasons of Midsomer Murders and a Hunter S Thompson documentary I hadn't watched yet. But still, replaceable.

Which documentary? /nt by ni (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 01:42:34 PM EST

Gonzo: the life and work by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 02:23:59 PM EST
I'll download it again, but I remember it taking ages.

Actually, now I think about it, it probably took so long because the weight of all the spam my computer was generating choked the download speed to nothing.

Long-suffering wife? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 01:08:11 PM EST
We haven't been married for three years!

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Like I said. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 02:22:42 PM EST
Find me someone who can truthfully contradict me.

Short suffering wife? [n/t] by Herring (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 05:43:42 PM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
She ain't 5'3" by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 06:56:56 PM EST
Had to bend at the knees to kiss her during the ceremony. Still do. NOT A COMPLAINT.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

This is why by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Sep 05, 2011 at 07:38:47 AM EST
stairs were invented.

And by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Sep 05, 2011 at 08:05:12 AM EST
..stepladders
..benches
...standing on chairs.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
All these things listed by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Sep 05, 2011 at 09:23:10 AM EST
And yet you forget the humble Yellow Pages.

Is that what you stand on Gaz? [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Sep 05, 2011 at 09:35:33 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Sorry, can't resist by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 01:46:59 PM EST
Root cause 17.

Cicero, The Republic
You didn't see the poll? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 02:28:24 PM EST
I gotta be honest.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Can't resist by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 05:43:43 PM EST
Is Lunix ready for the desktop?

If you can get the partition table recovered and MBR working, then you'll still need to get at the files.

You might have some luck on the grey hat forums; you'll effectively be trying to force your way into NTFS with no rights.

Lunix is ready for HER desktop by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 06:54:17 PM EST
If you can get the partition table recovered and MBR working
The whole reason for burning her a LiveCD was because the MBR wasn't just hosed but so fucked that that whatever malware was on it recognised attempts to fix it, disallowing "Safe Mode". Partition table is gone.

But sectors still chain as they always have since the Winchester was invented and that's what I'm hoping for, because there's no way in hell her data has yet been overwritten after this basic Bullshit Bullfrog installation, and recovering the files -- even with shit recovery names like FILE007D -- beats total loss.

I note that both of our intarwebs are now zippier. Unfortunately the baby figured out how door handles work.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Ouch by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Sep 06, 2011 at 06:37:44 PM EST
So you need to boot off cd / USB without reference to the MBR, then run [name forgotten think it was something off l0pht] to crack the ntfs.

If I remember I'll PM you, but I give it little to no chance for these tired neurons to click together, sorry!

Best of luck though...

Well by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Sep 05, 2011 at 02:51:10 PM EST
Calling it Lunix is your first oops.  Linus checked in the hearing API a few dot releases ago.  IT KNOWS.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
If I may suggest.... by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Sep 06, 2011 at 03:08:07 PM EST
www.crashplan.com