Print Story ask husi - recommend me an album
Music
By clover kicker (Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 08:43:14 PM EST) (all tags)
Alright, Canada's right winger government are about to cravenly bend over for the Yanks by toughening up our copyright laws.

So while it's still semi-legal I'm mining the Pirate Bay for anything and everything.

This is where you come in, recommend 1 album that I should be downloading RFN.

Genre doesn't greatly matter, anything's fine except opera.
< WFC XI: Metropolitan Therianthropes | Just desserts >
ask husi - recommend me an album | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Zappa 1st, then by johnny (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 09:20:01 PM EST
#1. Zappa: "Roxy & Elsewhere" alas, digital version doesn't include the best song on the vinyl. But get what you can.

#2. (Zappa and) Mothers of Invention: "Uncle Meat". It is simply impossible to be a well-informed civilized human without having a copy of Uncle Meat. (Not to mention that it's the key to decrypting my novel Acts of the Apostles).

#3. Anything by THE LOVE GROUP ("Love"), 60's rock group since become a "cult favorite" covered by many other bands.

$4 Jimi Hendrix "The Cry of Love". Only the most subtle & profound rock album ever recorded.

$5) New York Rock & Roll Ensemble, "Roll Over". Google can tell you why.

#6. David Bromberg Band: "How Late'llya Playtil?"  Like "Waiting for Columbus" and "Roxy and Elsewhere", the digital version of this classic album doesn't have some of the best songs on the vinyl. Well, what are you going to do. Grab it while you can.

I assume you have already the indispensable Beatles, Stones, Bach, Beethoven, Niel Young's "Weld" and most of all, Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus".  Truly, I have a hard time communicating with people not fluent in Waiting For Columbus. It's like I'm trying (& failng) to talk with beings from another galaxy.

Hope this helps at least a little,

jrs

I am not by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 10:10:09 PM EST
fluent in Waiting For Columbus. Unless it's somewhere deep within my soul, where my conscious mind can't access it.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician
Stuff I've been listening to recently: by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 28, 2011 at 10:04:47 PM EST

1. Mumford and Sons
  2. Poe (particularly Haunted)
  3. Concrete Blonde
  4. The Decemberists (particularly The Crane Wife)
  5. Electric Six - Fire
  6. Foxy Shazam - self-titled
  7. Leonard Cohen
  8. Magnetic Fields
  9. Menomena - Friend and Foe
  10. Thea Gilmore
  11. Tori Amos

Can't stand "Mumford and Sons" by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #8 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 01:40:44 PM EST
Don't know why, as they seem almost engineered to appeal to middle-aged straight white guys like me.

Second Concrete Blonde. Good stuff.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Various Awesome Artists: Senses Working Overtime by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 12:13:01 AM EST

Just grab the Billboard Top 100 by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 03:02:38 AM EST
That'll really stick it to the Man.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

The Zombies: Odessey and Oracle by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 07:46:12 AM EST
'nuff said.

Cicero, The Republic
Hm by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 08:04:39 AM EST
Well, if I had to recommend 1 album for this purpose, it'd be 12 Crass Songs by Jeffrey Lewis.. but whichever MC Lars album has Download This Song would probably be a good choice too.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Beach Boys Pet Sounds by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 09:41:07 AM EST

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 01:41:18 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Any of the "bonkers" series. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 01:58:35 PM EST
With dougal hixxy and sharkey. And for a more modern uk hardcore sound anything by Gammer.

Also trip the light fantastic - Sophie Ellis bexstor

Dub side of the moon - easy all stars

Ticket out of loserville - son of dork

Anything by nerf herder

Abba gold

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Well, by technician (4.00 / 3) #11 Thu Sep 29, 2011 at 09:11:35 PM EST
everything Radiohead has recorded.
Animals by Pink Floyd
Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys
Red by King Crimson
everything the White Stripes have ever recorded
Woman King by Iron and Wine
everything TOOL has ever recorded. Ever.
Binaural by Pearl Jam
Z and Circuital by My Morning Jacket
Hounds of Love by Kate Bush
The People's Key by Bright Eyes
Clandestino by Manu Chao
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
Both of the Grinderman releases
Dummy by Portishead
Everything the Decemberists have recorded
Don't download any Tom Waits. You pay. YOU PAY.
What the Toll Tells by the Two Gallants
Everything Bon Iver has released

That'll do for now.

Well by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 30, 2011 at 01:31:25 PM EST
Pink Floyd's The Division Bell

Yes - Big Generator

The Steve Miller Band - King Biscuit Flour Hour two-disc set.

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (good album, all but Champagne Year, that song sucks)

Robert Plant - Now and Zen

Lightning Hopkins - Essential Gold (digital remaster)

The Killers - Hot Fuss

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
"anything's fine except opera" by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 30, 2011 at 01:59:17 PM EST
Then I'm afraid I can't help you.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

My Bloody Valentine -- Loveless by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 01:24:25 PM EST
Also any Pixies you don't already have. I would also recommend the first two Arcade Fire LPs if you don't already have them, particularly the first.

The Barber of Seville by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:35:55 AM EST
people knock it because of the cartoons, but it's damn good.

-------