Print Story Travel & Leisure Magazine
Travel
By purr (Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 12:11:41 AM EST) (all tags)
Who really reads it?

I signed up for the magazine with my airline points that I was about to lose. I was excited about it when I first signed up. I remember it having lots of beautiful pictures with great descriptions of the lux locales.

After I received my first magazine subscription, I was completely let down. It wasn't anything like I remember it being. There was barely any good pics. The articles of the places completely turned me off.  The magazine is really boring.

So to cancel my subscription I would just loose my points. Even though I am not thrilled with the magazine, I am still receiving it until my points run out. My daughter has used it to cut out words and pictures for school assignments. Glad there is a use for it.

The lastest subscription/volume that I received, I saw an article that peaked my interest.  It is a set of 7 stories about getting lost while traveling. This sounded like a interesting subject. So the first story is not a story at all and it refers to the fact that it is hard to get lost now days. I have to disagree. With all the GPS systems, google maps and what-not's, those things are not always up to date or have service in all areas. You could have a prefectly good map and come across roads that have changed. This happened to me the other day. I won't say I was lost but the road didn't end where I was counting on it to end and this made me late. 8P

Have you ever been lost? I mean truly and utterly lost. Where you weren't even sure you were in the same country/state/city that you started out in? I have. More than once but in all fairness, I was purposely traveling in remote areas for scenic views. I can tell you the views were DEFINITELY scenic and VERY remote. So remote my cell phone didn't have service. So remote that the roads went from paved asphalt to gravel to dirt. So remote I was worried that I might have stumbled onto hidden, illegal immigration/drug routes. Those were the types of stories I was looking to read in the magazine article. So I would love to hear some of your stories about getting lost. I can tell you mine if you are interested.

< God dammit so much | A thought experiment in culpability >
Travel & Leisure Magazine | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Does masturbation count as "reading"? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 12:20:57 AM EST

I sure hope you were replying to my original by purr (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 07:47:27 AM EST
question about whether you read Travel & Leisure magazine. And in reply to your comment, looking at the pictures while pleasuring yourself does not constitute reading the magazine.
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
I think he's replying to the last question by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 08:11:52 AM EST
When ammo gets lost, he "reads" until he finds his way out.

Cicero, The Republic
I think he's thinking of by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 12:30:25 PM EST
National Geographic

got a little bit lost in venice by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 01:27:46 AM EST
but i hear everyone does there.  it was kind of a drag though, because i was on foot and was completely exhausted and had been wandering around for hours trying to find my hotel.

got VERY lost several times in belgium.  the worst was getting lost outside of brussels, where every person i encountered on the street (and there weren't that many, because i was lost driving through rural villages) spoke neither english nor french.  quite the disturbing experience, lol.  getting lost in the french-speaking part of belgium was kind of fun since i got to use my french for the first time in years.

so yes, curiosity is piqued.  tell us some lost stories, if you will.

Been lost a few times by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 08:11:02 AM EST
The most interesting was in the woods with a group of friends after dark with no flashlights. My boxes of matches only lasted for so long, leaving us to try to find out way out with the electronic flash on a friend's SLR.

Cicero, The Republic