Print Story Fall
Cars
By wiredog (Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 02:48:38 PM EST) (all tags)
Seems to be coming fast this year.

Maybe it's the high heat and drought, followed by the deluge?

Last weekend, on the beach, temps were in the mid-80's. Went for a walk last Sunday, all the trees were still green. Looked and felt like Summer.

This weekend, cooler. Never even hit 70° And the trees are turning. The maples, especially, are coloring fast, and lots of other trees are already shedding leaves. Sure, Fall usually arrives in September. But it also, usually, takes a bit longer to ramp up. One week a few understory plants are yellowing, the next it gets a bit cooler, then the maples go, followed by other trees. This year it seems to have all hit in a few days.

Driving around McLean I saw an old VW Bug, a 59. Talked to the driver who is the original owner. His Dad bought it for him, new, in 59. Pics at the end of this set.
< To The Emperor! | How to be Alone >
Fall | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
fall needs to be wet in TX by clock (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 04:20:50 PM EST
but it isn't wet enough yet.  and it isn't cool enough yet.  i know in my head that doesn't happen until the end of october, but i'm wired for a sweatshirt by the end of september.

meh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

the last bit of summer by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 05:53:31 PM EST
in NYC was enough for me.

the arrival of fall - with weather which feels just like san francisco - is doubleplushappigood.

isn't by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 09:07:32 PM EST
leaves turning more a function of sun angle than air temp?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Probably by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:51:45 AM EST
Still seems a bit early for the maples though.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm told... by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 10:26:53 AM EST
the salt spray from Irene did in the leaves in Provincetown. Maybe elsewhere along the coast as well.

The weather turned fall-like in about 20 minutes one afternoon. Hot and steamy in the morning, thundershower, and it hasn't been above 75-ish since (and often in the low 40s at night now).

My first car was a '57 Beetle. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 01:21:35 AM EST
Was yellow really it's original color? Mine was a slate blue. When I think of the bright colored bugs, I think of the '70's Superbugs.

Mine had a smaller back window. I had to look that up, and it seems that the window got bigger in '58.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Mine was a 65 by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:51:13 AM EST
I'm pretty sure I've diarized about it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's right. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 10:14:57 PM EST
1965 - the best Beetle ever.

My dad had a '65 - it was his princess.

Don't you wish you could get yours back?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Not really by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14:54 AM EST
What I really wanted was a 68 convertible.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fall | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback