Print Story Ask Husi: VPN proxy services...
Technology
By dmg (Thu Aug 04, 2011 at 03:30:50 PM EST) (all tags)
Suppose one was stuck in Switzerland, and wanted to access BBC iPlayer (having been forced to buy an annual TV license) but was being thwarted by stupid location based drm.

What Uk based VPN proxy service would you recommend or advise against?

< Dancing in the dark | OH OH OH >
Ask Husi: VPN proxy services... | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Moo by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 04, 2011 at 04:47:21 PM EST
I "donate" 3 EUR/month to this fella's operation:

Been doing so for quite a while now, and all works well from sunny Poland.

Are you visiting merecat? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 12:25:14 PM EST
You should drop in.

Komet too. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 05:29:54 PM EST
They are most gracious hosts.  And they certainly know their rostis.

komet ate my children and by ni (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 12:04:36 PM EST
stole my liver after plying me with raclette.

He tends to do that by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 05:38:09 PM EST
On the plus side, he also does full-frame photos on glass plates, so there's that.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Rösti. Raclette. by lolwhat (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 06:13:51 AM EST
/homerdrool

You guys are fucking killing me.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.

long or short term? by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 05:53:29 AM EST
Long term, investment in a UK based VM worked out simplest.

Remains to be seen by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 02:39:02 PM EST
6 months at least..
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
gosh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 09, 2011 at 04:10:26 AM EST
Hope you're being paid in CHF.

Lol by dmg (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 09, 2011 at 02:00:42 PM EST
It's covered to an extent, in the sense that the apt is paid for and I get per diem in chf. So I'm no worse off really. If I stop keep going back to London every other weekend I might actually make some money on it. My Swiss accoumt is already showing a profit based on the fx movement in the last 2 weeks...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.