Print Story on heat
By clock (Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 07:21:49 PM EST) (all tags)
It's really, really hot out there.

Let's consider this my official HuSi whine about the weather in Texas for 2011, shall we?  Motherfucker is it hot out there.  Triple digit heat with humidity that could choke a fish.  Fuck this noise.  Fuck it.  Seriously.  This is complete and total bullshit.  Fuckin' A.

So there's that.

We're getting geared up for a trip to Ohio.  DK needs to meet her great grandmother.  She's the only girl in the litter of great grandkids that have been generated by my grandmother's tree.  There's much excitement around our visit.  My mom is twitching with excitement and even my brother seems to be looking forward to it.  There will be at least one family event where we all get together and take pictures with the crazy old lady.

It will be good to get back to my homeland.  First off, it'll only be in the low to mid 80s and that will be wonderful!  More importantly, of course, is time to commune with my people.  It's only a week and we're driving so the weekends will be spent on the road, but you do what you can when you can, right?

I'm stoked about a road trip, but having The Dude and DK will be a challenge.  We'll have to stop a lot for feedings, diapers, potty breaks, and just running around so that a little boy's head doesn't explode.  We got him a Leapster Explorer with a couple of games.  That might keep him quiet for an hour or two.  That reminds me.  I need to make the playlist.  The Dude requires certain songs.  It's going to be good fun!

I didn't post about it here, but about 2 weeks ago I hit a deer with my car.  I had slowed down so that I could hear the end of a song and the deer popped out of a wooded area not 15 feet from the front of my car.  I hit her and she flew over the hood and into the ditch.  I pulled over.  I could see her twitching in the ditch across the road and I had no idea how I would deal with that.  I assessed the car as being drivable, looked over to check out the deer, and she was gone.  I don't suspect that the poor thing was alive the next day, but you never know.  The upshot of this is about $2500 in repairs and we have a $1k deductable.  Not bad.  The sucky part is that the fucking repair shop has NEVER called me and they are still waiting for a replacement bumper.  Fuck's sake, people.  I could have fabricated one by now!  So I bet we don't get it back this week and it winds up sitting in their lot while we're in Ohio.  Sweet.  Fuckers.

The Dude is getting stir crazy.  It's hard to entice a little boy to go outside and play when the weather is this miserable.  So he's running around the house causing all kinds of trouble.  I really do feel for him.  He's also getting pretty good at Katamari.  He and his mom play head to head from time to time.  It's hilarious for me.

DK is growing like crazy!  And yes, she is in fact cuter every day.  It's important to know your weak spots.  I know mine.  And she's beautiful.  This little girl.  Dammit.  I love this little girl.

Speaking of beautiful, the wife unit is not taking well to not having a car.  It's making her just as stir crazy as The Dude.  She manages to keep it in check until the kids are asleep, but man is she twitchy.  I don't blame her.  I really don't.  It's a lot to deal with.  But I worked from home today so she could get out of the house and...um...grocery shop?  It's SOMETHING!  Dammit people!  I'm trying!

I got my fifth(!) wedding anniversary gift a little early.  Stacky has a ring on order and I got a bag from Saddleback Leather.  Mother of pearl is it beautiful!  It's truly amazing.  I'm a total bag whore.  I love 'em.  This is truly the king of them all.  I will never second guess this one.  Ever.  It screams, "Adventure ho!"

I also ordered an expensive pair of boots for my business casual lifestyle.  They're beautiful, well-made, and will hopefully break my chain of buying a new pair of brown shoes every 18 months because they fall the fuck apart.  I think Stacky is more excited about my boots than I am.  She's a shoe weirdo.

I'm doing a 14 day free trial of the NYT on the nook.  We'll see.  So far, it's pretty good.  The crappy part is that it doesn't translate to the nook app on the iPad.  I only complain about that because I was so happy to only carry the iPad these days.  I'll toss the nook in the bag to get my full use out of the 14 days.  The key will be the Sunday edition.  If that works out, I might keep it or at least buy the Sunday paper on the nook an issue at a time.

I'm sure that I had more to say, but I'm equally certain that the heat has boiled away all of the interesting bits and left behind nothing but char.

< Compelling | Suckerpunch >
on heat | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Free for Nook but not for the Nook app by lm (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 07:43:35 PM EST
Is it just me or does that sound dumb?

But then, the NYT evil plot is to get you to subscribe to the print edition which allows free access to the electronic edition. Presumably this extends to Nook, iPad, etc.

Cicero, The Republic
yeah. but I "get" it now. by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 07:55:37 PM EST
they have a subscription through the iPad app that is the same $20/mo that the nook subscription is.  so i'm thinking that if i do go with a subscription, it will be through the iPad since you get things like, ya know, color and stuff.  that's wanky, but for $20/mo i need for it to be hella convenient.

i'll give it 14 days.  if it doesn't work out, screw it.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

NYT has a very odd digital "strategy" by R343L (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 08:22:13 PM EST
As far as I know, the iPad and iPhone digital subscriptions are separate -- one doesn't get you the other. Digital options are: browser (nytimes.com), tablet (they only had iPad at launch), and smart phone (iPhone, Android, etc.) In math:

browser + iPad + smart phone = $35
browser + smart phone = $15
browser + iPad = $20

Odd no? I don't get why ipad is $20, but adding smart phone too is $35. The Economist lets me use arbitrary clients (perhaps there is a limit but I haven't hit it).

Print does give you access to all digital versions at least. Conveniently digital is currently on sale for 99c. This is tempting except I already have too much to read and don't want a $20/month subscription (the weekly Economist only costs about that for an entire quarter and I'd probably read about that much content from the NY Times.)

The print bit makes sense to me by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 09:30:11 PM EST
My wife is baffled by it. But I would wager that selling print ads is more profitable per subscription than digital only subscriptions. So if they can get you to buy print, even if you never read it, they make more money.

But as for the rest, I dunno. Maybe they did the math and priced everything based on a curve that they thought would maximize income. Or maybe not. Maybe it's an experiment to find out what prices people are willing to pay.

Cicero, The Republic
nice area up that way. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 08:35:53 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Which boots? by technician (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 10:34:25 PM EST
Also, track received...once I am human again, etc. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a lion take a gazelle down in the parking lot at work, though it was tough to make out through the heat-induced haze. My car is a darker shade of blue now, too.

red wing iron rangers. model 8111 by clock (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 08:29:46 AM EST
yeah.  the track.  i dig it.  even the day after.  needs some arranging and lyrics and whatnot, but, ya know.  stuff.  we'll have to get together after i get back from vacation.  you need to get healthy.  jeebus man.  don't get old on me now!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Redwings! by technician (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 02:36:27 PM EST
I have three pair, dating back to 1992 or so. My current pair are simply too hot to wear in Texas, ever. Damn fine boots, though, and a darn fine company.

I got a pair of those Wolverine 1000 Mile boots that'll probably outlive me.

In re: health, I'm feeling perfectly OK today, but the problem with Austin is allergies...so even when I'm feeling OK, I'm congested. We'll see what happens, vocally. I could just do the Tom Waits thing. Gargle auto parts and bourbon, take up smoking.

Hell yes! by clock (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 05:43:57 PM EST
I will wear boots in any weather. It's how I roll, yo.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Golly, good thing it's FREE! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 4) #7 Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 10:50:36 PM EST

LOLZ! by me0w (4.00 / 5) #8 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 08:20:23 AM EST

Heat in Texas by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 08:34:48 AM EST
Map

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

shoes by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 08:34:54 AM EST
A couple of years ago, a guy at the shoe store told me that with real shoes (i.e. made out of leather) they last longer if you wear them every other day to give the leather time to rest between wearings. When those shoes fell apart after about 18 months, I decided to test this theory and buy two pairs of shoes and alternating between them day by day.

But it could be that the dude, who was a saleman after all, was just trying to sell me two pairs of shoes instead of one.

Cicero, The Republic
Army Drill Sergeants teach to rotate your boots. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 08:47:54 AM EST
It really does add to leather's longevity.

Tried it, very uncomfortable by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #15 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 10:26:36 AM EST
my left and right feet are very different, unlike wheels.

Also, not attached to an axle. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 10:43:56 AM EST
As always, your humour made me laugh. How do you do it, Mr Ha?

Jesus fuck! by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 09:12:15 AM EST
Don't go anywhere near a wounded deer!  Not even if it looks dead!  Those motherfuckers can kick you to death.

If you have one that needs to be put out of its misery, call the cops. A shotgun from many feet away is the only safe way.

When I was 17, I came across a classmate and his girlfriend on the side of the road next to his car, which was sporting extensive front end damage.  She was crying and very upset and there was a dying deer in the ditch.

I made sure they were all right and went to a local farm and called the cops.  When I got back my classmate had just retrieved the tire iron from his trunk and was about to go down into the ditch to *beat* the deer to death with it because his idiot girlfriend was upset the deer was suffering.  Nobody was happy about the deer suffering, but going to the bottom of a 10 foot ditch with a wounded 180lbs deer is fucking stupid.  Especially when you are only armed with a tire iron.

County sheriff deputy came by a little while later and ended the deer's suffering with a 12 gauge slug.  Classmate was going to gut it and take it home, but his GF was full-on hysterical at that point.  (In Wisconsin, it's legal to dress out and take home any deer you kill on the highway with your car. By accident)

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
Mind you, by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 10:53:02 AM EST
It should be obligatory to dress any deer you kill by the road, after having smelt the stench of a rotting deer by the roadside near my house repeatedly a couple of years back.

In PA too by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 11:02:58 AM EST
you can take a deer home you've hit with your car, you just need to report it to the Game Commission...
I think that is true in most states by lm (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:28:22 PM EST
It's certainly true in Ohio. Or, if Ohio law has change recently, it was certainly true when last I lived there and knew people who hit deer.

Cicero, The Republic
entice ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 10:25:53 AM EST
well, it's only mid 90s, same humidity, and I say "ok kids, we're going outside" .. Granted, that's at 9am and at 6:30 or so after dinner, not in the heat of the day, but doggone we're going outside, get your shoes on, lets go.

blech by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 11:04:52 AM EST
i can barely handle my daily walk at 7:30am.  right now, 10am, the heat index is already 98F.  after dinner its usually still in the 100s (last night at 7pm it was 105)

my take on it by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 12:57:26 PM EST
is multi-fold:
  • is it good to get somewhat acclimated to the heat ?
  • would I rather have them tearing around inside or outside ?
So they may want to play inside, but darnit, we're going out!

(I can "deal" with the heat, the Mrs, not so much.. The mosquitoes aren't bothered by the heat, which is another point against the mrs .. My legs are full of bites, but I'll live)

A 4 year old by clock (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 01:00:53 PM EST
Isn't really equipt to handle temps in excess of 100F for prolonged periods. Keep in mind, that's the temperature of the air, not the temp in the sun. Using a cool laser thermometer one of my guys clocked 137F on the back of his shirt after knowing the lawn at 7 pm.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

knowing the lawn at 7 pm. by wiredog (4.00 / 3) #25 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 02:38:41 PM EST
In a biblical sense?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I thought the same thing by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #27 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 04:41:45 PM EST
Word for word.

true, true by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 02:34:23 PM EST
but not so good for a 4 month old.

i was told about a local church that has a HUGE indoor playground they allow everybody to use.  you just have to sign up for a play time on their internet site (they make people sign up because they want to keep the number of kids at a reasonable level).  The Dude loves it, and DK loves watching all the kids run around.  Mostly, it's not in the HEAT!

You need to move someplace cooler. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 02:39:22 PM EST
How hard would it be to convince clock to move to Ohio?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I would rather go to Ohio by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 08:59:20 PM EST
than where we're most likely headed.

What, Wisconsin? by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 10:31:50 PM EST
It's not that bad.
---------
I like those boots by barooo (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 01:08:49 PM EST
a lot.  I may have to consider them when I next need footwear that isn't flipflops.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Five years by debacle (4.00 / 2) #30 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 09:34:16 PM EST
Shit, it's been a long time since you lived in hell.

yeah by clock (4.00 / 2) #31 Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 10:13:02 PM EST
i was thinkin' that today.  a long time indeed.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin