Print Story The miracle of living
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 01:29:24 PM EST) Reading, Me, Museums, MLP (all tags)
Reading: "I Shall Wear Midnight". Me. Museums. Links.

What I'm Reading
I Shall Wear Midnight is the latest Terry Pratchett juvenile featuring young witch Tiffany Aching. Good entry in this series, it's interesting to see how the character has developed. Little bit weak for grown-ups perhaps, you can get a bit bored with the Nac Mac Feegle.

Me
Yet another ear infection which is a drag. Not sure why I keep getting them, I haven't used earbuds in ages. The doctor reckoned it might be associated with eczema, as a kind of skin infection that works its way into the ear.

The usual way you catch them is by swimming, which I don't really do. I have been rinsing out my ears in the shower after the first infection, doc says I should actually try to keep my ears as dry as possible, so I'll try that.

Museums
Saw the Treasures of Heaven exhibition at the British Museum. Not bad, a lot of nice gold reliquaries and a couple of interesting reliquaries. Didn't seem that fantastic to me though. The V&A has a lot of great gold work and religious art on display for free, this costs £12 didn't seem that much better.

Web
Economics. Eurozone problems are solvable.

This is because the eurozone’s overall fiscal position is quite healthy... The eurozone picture is even better when its underlying fiscal position, adjusted for the cycle and excluding debt interest, is taken into account.

While Britain had a deficit of 5.7% of GDP last year on this basis and America 7%, the eurozone’s was just 1.1%. By next year, according to the OECD, the eurozone will have an underlying budget surplus of 0.9% of GDP, compared with deficits of 3% for Britain and 5.8% for America.

Interview on the history of debt.
So really, rather than the standard story – first there’s barter, then money, then finally credit comes out of that – if anything its precisely the other way around. Credit and debt comes first, then coinage emerges thousands of years later and then, when you do find “I’ll give you twenty chickens for that cow” type of barter systems, it’s usually when there used to be cash markets, but for some reason – as in Russia, for example, in 1998 – the currency collapses or disappears.

Politics. More on Turkey's disturbing Ergenekon trial. One day of Mexico murders, via. UAF anti-EDL demo set for Saturday 3 September. (People seem to be over-interpreting the ban on "marches", all it means is that everybody wanders up to the demo site individually instead of marching from A to B all together). Details of the Freemen on the Land legal conspiracy theorists. Clarence Thomas. Open letter from 103 historians about David Starkey on Newsnight.

Pics. Tidying things. Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor. Couples switch clothes. Earliest medieval map of Britain.

Video. Baby in water (not recommended for kids that young). Fishy Fishy (parody of). 1940s London. Women pose like models. Firefighter exam (17 seconds). Every Dr Who story from 1963 to 2010.

Articles. Sirens. Why female breastplates don't need breast-bulges. Short post on virtue ethics and psychology

Local. London black cabs are best taxis.

< Wrote a note said be back in a minute | Always go to bed angry. >
The miracle of living | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A couple things by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 02:09:07 PM EST
The metafilter thread on babies in the water pissed me off, but I did not have an account to respond.  First off, it is very important to understand that those "not recommended" links actually boil down to "we don't see any effect so don't rely on it making them safer".  That's very different from saying that they are dangerous.

But what really pissed me off were the complaints about how the parents appeared unconcerned.  If you want well adjusted, non-panicky children, this is exactly what you are supposed to do!  Kids read their parents...if you want a kid that reacts calmly to new situations, you want to project calmness.  Be the panicky helicopter parent, and you are going to get kids who are afraid to do anything new.

Re: breastplates with bulges: I'm surprised no one brought up in that metafilter thread that the male version of that has a long history.  Does it make for worse armor?  Probably...but I don't think, given the above, that it's quite as sexist as some make it out to be.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Babies and water by Herring (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 06:20:17 PM EST
When the boy was very young (4 months) we started on one of those baby swimming courses. From a very young age he could swim himself back to the surface etc. He's not got any inclination for competitive swimming but he loves being in the water now.

Mrs. H. isn't that good with water so I always took him. I'm pretty calm about that sort of thing (I can do life saving and I know that you actually have quite a long time before harm is done).

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I've seen parents teach their kids to fear dogs. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 08:51:14 PM EST

ear infections and virtue ethics by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 02:11:53 PM EST
On the ears, try rinsing with peroxide or vinegar.

The vitrue ethics and psychology link is a good read. I need time to process it further before commenting.

Cicero, The Republic
Breastplates .... Oh really .... by me0w (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 02:46:52 PM EST
"So all but the largest breasts can be bound quite flat against the woman's chest without occasioning too much discomfort."

Once upon a time when I danced, I had to bind to get into some of my costumes. It hurts like hell, especially when you are menstruating.

In truth by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 03:17:41 PM EST
Men, especially the sort who swing swords and wear armor, tend to have large chests anyway, so I suspect that most women would find most male armor quite roomy.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
You're wearing it wrong. It goes up top. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 08:42:37 PM EST

on women in armour by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 03:17:22 PM EST
the naked truth

eurozones problems are solveable for sure by dmg (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 03:34:52 PM EST
But just because something is possible, doesn't mean it will happen. The USA in particular does not want this problem fixed. China on the other hand, does. We live In interesting financial times. In a sense, if fiscal transfer union does happen, it is a victory of the technocrats over the will of the people. As an elitist i don't have a problem with that, but many do.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Treasures of Heaven by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 04:31:01 AM EST
That's a shame, I quite fancied going to see that. I was under the impression there were lots of weird relics, is that not the case?

Will probably be going on the counter demo, but have been invited out that day as well. Are you going?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

There were a lot of reliquaries by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 03:00:44 PM EST
Of all shapes and sizes, some of them pretty impressive.

Yes, I'll probably go to the UAF demo. Haven't been to one in ages, it's all been pretty quiet in London.

I'll DM you if I work out where I'm going to be by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Aug 31, 2011 at 03:50:59 AM EST
Not the most pleasant circumstances for a chat, but hey!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I'll PM you my mobile number by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 31, 2011 at 02:12:37 PM EST
Hopefully it won't get too rough. UAF seem to be holding the counter-demos a bit further away instead of confronting them face to face these days.
I'm worried about the scale of this one by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 05:28:22 AM EST
There's been a lot of hype about it, the EDL seem to have grown, and they've been fired up by the riots. But then again, from what I've seen of the ones you've been on they're usually a bit pathetic.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Debt interview was pretty cool by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 08:55:02 AM EST
And yes, the lack of individual debt amnesties is rather glaring ...

Iambic Web Certified