Print Story So the other day I shaved off the beard ...
By lm (Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 12:27:55 PM EST) (all tags)
... and only the beard.

The results were not exactly what I expected.

(Warning: possible page widening inside.)

I looked into the mirror after shaving and the first thought that popped into my head was "Ned Flanders."

My wife had other ideas. Ideas that she put together in a montage.

Lee and `stache of style resembles a multitude of famous and infamous gentlemen with moustaches including, but not limited to, Ned Flanders, Sesame Street`s Mr. Johnson (Grover`s nemisis), and several serial killers.

I think she missed a few obvious alternatives:

• Sherlock Hemlock
  • The Amazing Mumford
  • Magnum PI
  • Commisioner Gordon
  • Ron Swanson
:: :: :: :: ::

I've been sick quite a bit lately. Since late spring, my life has largely consisted of getting a case of bronchitis, struggling through it, recuperating, getting another case of bronchitis, later, rinse, repeat. COPD is a bitch.

When I first saw the diagnosis, I didn't want to believe it. My physician never actually said COPD while I was in the office. She did mention allergies and adult onset asthma as possibilities. But as I was waiting in line for antibiotics and an inhaler, I noticed the diagnosis on the paperwork, COPD.

The clincher was a couple weeks ago. I'd been cough free for about two weeks. I pushed myself hard and hit an eight minute mile. At the end, I noticed that I could hear myself wheezing.  Halfway through the next mile, I just ran out of gas. Or, rather, I ran out of air.

Not much else to say on that. It's a disease without a cure but one that can be managed.

:: :: :: ::

I got a raise recently. The VP of operations called me in for a chat and asked me how things were going. I gave her some suggestions on ways to improve internal processes. She told me it had been a while since I had a raise so I should offer a number.

The next day I found out that my manager put in his notice. He was the one person left in my department that had been there longer than I. "Aha," said I to myself, "they want to keep me fat and happy so I stick around."

So I noticed that my hourly rate was about a half π away from an even multiple of π which would a multple of τ. So I suggested via email that my new hourly rate be a higher multiple of τ. They didn't go for that. They did, however, come back with a counter offer that was decent. I took it.

Then the weirdest thing I've ever personally seen in the private sector happened. They changed their minds. When I came into work the next week, there was a new email sitting in my inbox saying that the owner and the VP of operations had been talking and they decided to give me the full amount that I had asked for plus enough change to make it an even number.

Which is good. My raise will almost cover the increase in my rent this year.

:: :: ::

For reasons mentioned above, I've been taking the running mostly slow. I'll get in a nine minute mile every now and then but mostly I'm running ten and eleven minute miles. Last week, I did five days at four miles each. It's been good weather for it, cooler in the mornings. I got rained on once. (I love rain while I'm running.)

I've been taking it pretty slow with the weight machines. I did put on a new plate for the first time since I backed down my weight this past spring. But I also cut the number of reps. I'm focusing on good form. It feels good.

I graduated to holding  a 5Kg medicine ball over my head when I do sit-ups.  The first week was a bit brutal. There didn't seem to be much change while I was doing the sit-ups. But afterwards, oh boy ...

:: ::

Next weekend, I'm driving my eldest daughter up to NYC to drop her off for the school year. It'll be a first for me. I've never been to the Big Apple. But I don't really have the time to do much that is interesting. Classes start for me that week. I need to kick my MA thesis into high gear and just get it done. So I don't think I'll be seeing much besides freeway and Staten Island.

It'll be more of an adventure for my daughter. I've long enjoyed watching her grow up. It's time to start seeing if she can fly on her own. It's an exciting time.

I really liked this bit about Glenn Beck from Haaretz.

But what is irony to a man for whom most Jews are not Orthodox enough and therefore not Jewish enough, for whom most Israelis are not hardline enough and therefore not Israeli enough, a man for whom some Holocaust survivors have not suffered enough, a man who knows better than the Jews what Auschwitz means, who Nazis are, what Israel needs, how Jews need to figure in the greater plan of God and His Apostle Glenn.
< book reading | I pick myself up off the ground, and have you knock me back down >
So the other day I shaved off the beard ... | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I did that to my beard, too. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 12:42:37 PM EST
I'm going to do it again today or maybe tomorrow.

I definitely sense the Ron Swanson aspect with that hairdo.

Huzzah for getting more moneys. I need more moneys.

You missed one by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:19:55 PM EST
September 5th 2011

There's even help for the follically challenged.

whoa by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:46:36 PM EST
with that snarky facial expression you look like a slightly older Mostly Harmless.

coincidentally by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:54:25 PM EST
we're moving to the big apple in nine days. :)
You missed a trick by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:56:00 PM EST
..applying for the managers position and salary level

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
oh, I didn't miss anything by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 02:00:54 PM EST
If anything, I want to decrease my level of responsibility and work fewer hours. My career goal is to exit IT altogether.

Cicero, The Republic
You look... by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 03:49:33 PM EST
Respectable. Whoa.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I imagine by garlic (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 10:00:15 AM EST
lm or igrrl is the the most respectable (looking) of all of us. I'm not sure if either of them would take that as a compliment.

This is by design by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 07:16:52 PM EST
I have an evil plot simmering. This plot requires that I look respectable.

Or something like that.

Cicero, The Republic
Also by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 06:35:06 PM EST
Bill Simmons.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Took me a minute to realize it by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 07:22:10 PM EST
but the first thing I thought was Mr. Noodle. Yes, I have a toddler...
---------
I have to admit that I'm unacquainted by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 07:33:09 PM EST
With one daughter about to head off to college and another starting high school, I missed the whole Elmo's World thing.

But I ought to have included Captain Kangaroo and Mr. McFeely.

Cicero, The Republic
That was my first thought too (nt) by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 01:42:50 PM EST

Mr Noodle indeed by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 04:01:17 PM EST
Ya-ta-ta-TAAA!!!

How do you wash your mustache?

NOOO!!! Not like that!

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

but by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 08:11:00 AM EST
I think he has too much hair to look like Mr. Noodle's brother, Mr. Noodle.
---------
For Teddy Roosevelt by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 11:35:45 AM EST
You'd needli-eed new glasses, I reckon.

Iambic Web Certified