Print Story So, It Seems I Have A Job...
By atreides (Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 01:37:40 PM EST) (all tags)
Some semblance of a position that might be worth a damn in the future...

Welsh Girl made a mini-rant on the Book Face that got some responses from some friends. One of them mentioned that her workplace (a jewelry store in the local mall) was looking for an Office Manager type. So I went Thursday and talked to her Store Manager. Turned out the position was actually an Office Administrator but is effectively an assistant manager. The Manager liked both my resume and me. She had me come back Friday to meet with her boss, the District Manager. There was a lot of talk about values and morals (uh-oh) but I managed to stay positive and offer work and real world (but non-personal) based examples of the values she was talking about. Once again, I thought it went well, but, in this case, I wasn't very sure if I had really hit the mark. Saturday morning, while I was feeding the girls breakfast, I get a call from the Manager asking me to take a computer survey. The survey was one of those computerized surveys about morals and crap (uh oh). I took it and gave the best answers I could without lying (no, I don't consider someone who has one "marijuana cigarette" a week to have a problem). Saturday afternoon, I got a call from the Store Manager again. I did badly on the morals survey. Thinking I was sunk, she then went on to say that, in her experience, intelligent people tend to do badly on them, seeing areas of grey that more salt of the earth folks might not. She told me that the pay wasn't great, but the position can lead into management as I would be more involved with corporate operations than store management and made the offer. I accepted. The money is 25% less than I'm used to making, but it's more than I'm making in the part time job I have now (which I'll be keeping on the weekends for a while) and doesn't involve working out in the hot sun. I don't like working in retail, but it's indirect and, to be honest, I have little respect for the product (I have a lot of problems with diamonds and the diamond industry). On the other hand, I do like the idea of being in a job where I help make people happy and, on a personal note, the title, the supervisory experience and the ability to say that I've been responsible for millions in merchandise seem worth it.

All that having said, I'm having a lot of trouble being excited about any of this. Maybe I've been down so long or I'm not jumping for joy over the position. Either way, I'm going to be seeing a therapist on Tuesday for an introductory session. A lot of crap has happened to me in the last few months on top of any issues I may have from longer term stuff. Maybe it's time I talked to someone completely neutral about all this.

And that's all I have to say about that.

< Still Ent Ded. | book reading >
So, It Seems I Have A Job... | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've had a lot of positive experiences in therapy. by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 01:49:50 PM EST
Having someone neutral to be able to talk to about things can make a huge difference, a competent someone neutral even more so.  Hugs and best wishes.

We do what we have to, by technician (4.00 / 2) #2 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 01:55:00 PM EST
and there ain't much out there to do for money. So, you have something and it can be better than nothing.

and speaking of by tierrasimbolica (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 02:01:22 PM EST
Yep. The unemployed need not apply. by technician (4.00 / 2) #5 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 03:24:40 PM EST
At some point soon, pitchforks and torches.

Just try convincing the libertarians of that. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 03:55:21 PM EST
They, and the wingers, never seem to understand when I point out that the people getting screwed the hardest these days tend, as a class, to be the most heavily armed.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

yikes! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 09:51:18 PM EST
looks like there is small chance I could get a job if for some reason I wanted or needed to go back to work.  that's insane.

there's a difference by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 09:59:48 PM EST
Some gaps are easy to explain. For me it was finishing my BA. For my wife, it was waiting for our kids to be old enough to not need her at home.

Those situations are different in kind than being unemployed.

Cicero, The Republic
I know, but.... by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 09:11:08 AM EST
in the current economic climate, people might not care.  gap is gap and all when you have 10k applicants for each job.

Couldn't happen to a nicer... by ana (4.00 / 4) #4 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 02:45:11 PM EST
tyrant of the known universe.

Congrats, and don't let the door smash that foot you have in it.

The idea of a "morals" survey puzzles me by lm (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 03:41:22 PM EST
The only use for it I can see is to find the honest candidates by throwing out all the "good" scores.

But, aside from that, I'm glad the numbers game finally turned in your favor.

Cicero, The Republic
He might be one of the few non-salesmen there by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 10:01:53 PM EST
It makes a lot of sense to weed out anyone with morals.

Still, after so long you should note that you are making progress back. Just make sure you leave when the time comes.

Wumpus

glad to hear you got the gig. by clock (4.00 / 3) #7 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 05:53:30 PM EST
i can understand your ambivalence.  work that title.  climb any ladder you can find and then use the resume fodder for something more to your liking.  good luck to you with that.

and therapy.  when i went, it was the best thing i could have done at the time.  i hope it works out as well for you.

peace to you and yours, my friend.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

congrats, good luck. -nt- by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 06:36:40 PM EST

It is a better thing than not by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 06:55:47 PM EST
Having a full time job is important for a lot things.  You may not be able to get excited about it right now, but going to work for forty-hours a week has a way of making things a little better.

A while ago you wrote about finding a Lodge and joining Masonry.  Find a Lodge and join Masonry.  I've never looked back or regreted it.  If the dues are a problem email me and we'll see if we can work something out.

---------------
Agreed. Work that Masonic cabal. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 08:38:05 PM EST

I might take you up on that... by atreides (4.00 / 3) #17 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 11:45:12 PM EST
...if I can even get in. A few weeks ago, I met a Mason (Past Master, no less) at my part time job and told me my intentions. He told me who to contact at the local lodge, but he also made a point of telling me about local Prince Hall lodges because it's not uncommon in this area for certain lodges to reject "certain" applicants. I'm sure you get my meaning...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Oh, just sign up already. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:23:24 AM EST
It's America's favorite RICO-exempt fraternal organization, so you may as well reap some benefit from that.

The trick by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:47:04 PM EST
Is to not claim tax exempt status and to pay your taxes.

---------------
That and, oh... don't be corrupt. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #31 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:50:42 PM EST

Lack of corruption by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #32 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:57:19 PM EST
wouldn't stop the Feds if they had a chip to grind.  Pay your taxes and the removes their biggest button.

---------------
fuck. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 10:44:05 AM EST

I know what you mean by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:42:16 PM EST
And as sad as it is in 21st Century for a group that's supposed to be about judging a man solely for his good works there are still many out there like that.  Prince Hall Lodges are chartered by the Grand Lodge of England and as such are perfectly legitimate.  Some state Grand Lodges don't recognize Prince Hall and those states are in areas you can guess.   The recognition is important in travelling to visit other Lodges.  Doesn't matter to me which you go with.  The offer stands.  The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts recognizes Prince Hall Grand Lodge.  Grand Lodge of Texas or Prince Hall.  It's all the same to me.

---------------
Yay job!! by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 09:39:40 PM EST
Bird in the hand, etc.  Keep thinking of the making people happy angle,

Congrats!

Congrats! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 10:08:50 PM EST

Job! by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 10:30:18 PM EST
Also, my girlfriend out in LA has worked in the jewelry industry for quite some time. She knows the trade very well, and if you have questions that are about the culture of the industry, she's cool beans to talk to. LMK

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Congrats by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:38:32 AM EST
Don't worry about not feeling too ecstatic. It's better to approach things like this cautiously and carefully, in case they don't work out, and so you don't fall into any obvious traps.
Listen to this man by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:18:43 PM EST
Thank is all.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

thank = that by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:19:37 PM EST
Gah. Up at 04:00 to catch a flight.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Lend Me a Fiver? by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 2) #21 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 10:24:45 AM EST
I'm good it. I sort of swear.

Science-fiction wallah, storytelling gorilla, man wearing a hat: Cheeseburger Brown.
Yay for the job! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 03:56:38 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Congrats man. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 05:17:02 PM EST
Will it suck?  If you let it.  Will you be angry at getting 25% less than you feel you're worth?  If you let it.

This might not be the opportunity you've been hoping for, but you've sweated and worked to try to create an opportunity.  And a little success goes a long way, I reckon a lot of things will become easier for you now.

Grab this with both hands my friend.  I'm well chuffed for you.

It is great by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 07:34:13 PM EST
having a title at all is WAAAY further then you were a month ago. And, I have no doubt when some of the money (more then you're getting from your part time gig) starts coming in, things will feel better still. I'm glad about therapy, talking and figuring your shit out is always a good thing, makes you a better you. Many hugs. I am super happy for you and send many well wishes your way.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Yayayayay! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #33 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 11:39:34 PM EST
After how long you looked and how hard it was, I think I'm in agreement with everyone else that it's perfectly reasonable to not be all that excited.

hugs and good luck!

Congratulations by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Aug 23, 2011 at 11:43:12 AM EST
And lack of excitement? Meeting triumph and disaster, and treating those two imposters just the same, I'd call it.

(Ok, someone else called it that. I still like the phrase though)

Iambic Web Certified

Congratulations! by webwench (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Aug 24, 2011 at 01:55:09 AM EST
Not being screamingly excited just means you won't have first-day jitters, so that's good :)

Getting more attention than you since 1998 .

Every little helps... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Aug 30, 2011 at 06:25:03 AM EST
Sometimes it's not exciting... but there are times when a bit of stability is more important than excitement.

Good luck - and I hope the therapy helps too. Mental stress can be a killer.

So, It Seems I Have A Job... | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback