Print Story frying pans: good or wok?
Thanks Herring, it's the greatest title ever.

Really, though, cast iron skillet trumps wok, in my opinion. At least for my cooking needs. I just have no need at all for a wok.

My computer at home wanted to reboot last night to finish some updates, but it borked on restarting. I was worried for a moment that something might have happened to the hard drive, but it seems to have recovered. Still, I should make sure all the important stuff is backed up.

Somebody's looking at the apartment for a second time with his wife this afternoon, he really liked it, apparently. I'm mildly surprised there hasn't been more interest, it's a very nice apartment in a great location at a reasonable price. I mean, the former governor lives two blocks away. It's a nice neighborhood. I suppose it's an odd fit, though. It's more toward the higher end of prices for 1 person in an apartment of that size (maybe), but it's kind of small for 2 people in terms of closet and bedroom (dining and living room are quite nice). Really, though, it's an awesome place in its own way.

Drinks with coworkers after work.

I'm reading The Golden Ocean by Patrick O'Brian. It's another boat book, an early one. It's one of the two books he wrote about people in Commodore Anson's squadron. This one is from the perspective of an Irish midshipman. It's decent. The Unknown Shore, the other one about that voyage and which I just finished, is better. It is also quite explicitly similar to the Aubrey-Maturin series.

Subscribing to a brand of political discourse blinds one to seeing the other side of it, it seems. I am, of course, not immune to this bias, but I noted a rather extreme case of it in a friend of mine who is often rather perceptive, but sometimes surprisingly rigid in his Conservative viewpoints. Interestingly, he doesn't like reading fiction. And this is a note about fellow-travelers, not the person mentioned earlier: concern about "political correctness" is so 1993. I can safely ignore anybody who complains about it.

More G&S listening.

Reebok still hates children and promotes a fitness brand which encourages unsafe behaviors (with children! won't somebody think of the children!).

Ignoring Ron Paul is sort of mean-spirited of the media to do, and he is a very interesting figure: articulate, principled, strong-minded. But he's also completely unelectable and the media only wants to cover winners. I mean, laughs from Jon Stewart aside, why cover somebody who's not going to be the Republican candidate?

< slowly losing my mind | Gawd bless our wonderful NHS >
frying pans: good or wok? | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If I were in the media by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 06:08:28 PM EST
I'd cover Ron Paul just so I could amuse myself by reading the various death threats that come in should I hint that he isn't the second coming of Ronald Reagan.

Cicero, The Republic
Go to The Atlantic by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 07:42:13 PM EST
Any story that mentions him is ripe for trolling the sock-puppets.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

holy fuck by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 08:43:12 PM EST
The Ronulans are even more annoying this time around, I wouldn't have believed it possible.

They're fun to tease by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 08:26:35 AM EST
Because they're so damn serious.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

To use a wok properly by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 07:45:02 PM EST
you need a gas stove with a wok grate, and lots of BTUs. Cook's Illustrated has pointed out that few American kitchens have that, and that Americans are better off with a cast iron skillet.

So, basically, you're doing it right.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

yeah, that was the impression i had by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 09:24:16 PM EST
plus i really like cast iron skillets.

Aye by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 03:45:40 AM EST
I have a gas hob with a wok ring and that works. Can't be used on electric though - but then electric hobs are wrong in many ways.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Why cover Paul? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 04:32:40 AM EST
Slow news days need to be filled. That and he's good for getting attention. Why do you think Letters to the Editor is filled mostly with batshit insanity?

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

reebok hates children by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 08:56:26 PM EST
Reebok hates children

Why cover the Republicans at all then by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 09:25:57 PM EST
no Republican who can win the nomination can win the general election.

---------------
somewhat decent point by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 10:23:57 PM EST
but Ron Paul can't win the nomination.

I see the point, but by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 09:57:48 AM EST
I don't see it as the media's job to decide which candidates to cover based on prejudgement of who can win the nomination.  I don't think Bachman has a serious chance, but she's getting serious coverage.  Bachman will implode right after New Hampshire.

---------------
I agree. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 10:07:28 AM EST
On both counts.

I differ over Bachman by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 05:24:17 PM EST
I think she could potentially win the GOP nomination.

But I do agree that it isn't the media's job to decide who is a serious candidate and who isn't.

On the other hand, I think rankings in the Ames straw poll is a non-news event. At most, it's A5 material. And I do think that it is the news media's job to decide what news is worth publishing and which news isn't.

Cicero, The Republic
Ames Straw Poll by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 06:53:03 PM EST
I agree that the Ames Straw Poll is a not a starter.  It's about who can get the most supporters to show up and considerably different than a caucus.  It gets too much coverage, but then again the day after Obama was elected they were doing polls about who would win the 2012 Republican nomination.  I don't see Bachman winning the nomination.  She'll bomb in New Hampshire to start.  She'll get a pick up somewhere in the mid-west, but then Perry is going to bury her in the South.  This is a fight between Romney and Perry.  The elites want Romney and the evangelicals want Perry.  The Tea Party may want Bachman, but the Tea Party may be vocal but they are a minority.  They can put boots to ground, but so can't the evangelicals and Mormons.  The evangelicals and Mormons also have more money to command.  So I go back to this being a fight between Romney and Perry.  Either will lose in the general election.

---------------
I'm not convinced that Romney has traction by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 08:02:36 PM EST
He did okay in the 2008 cycle untill you look at how much money he spent per vote compared to other candidates.

With two thirds of the US wanting to raise taxes on the rich, I don't see any GOP candidate in the field to date winning the general election unless unemployment stays pretty much the same between now and October 2012. And if that is the case, I don't think it matters who the anti-Obama is.

Cicero, The Republic
Romney and Anti-Obama by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 09:00:57 PM EST
Romney has staying power.  Romney was running against mostly moderate conservatives who were tacking right in the Primary.  Regardless of McCain in the primary he was relatively moderate (Barry Goldwaterish) up until that primary, then went right before going off the deep end.  Romney is a moderate conservative tacking right for the primary.  Others are far right and would have to tack left to get to the moderate spectrum and simply won't do so.  Romney just needs to straighten course.  That will pick up a lot of votes.

Unemployment will stay this high for several years.  There's nothing in the economy that will change that.  The government will be cutting spending and consumers aren't in a position to return to the orgy of consumerism of the 90s to Aughts.  Business respond and aren't proactive about economic improvement.  I don't know what a Republican candidate can point to that Republicans can do that Obama can't counter.  I just don't see even a bad economy in 2012 being that big a factor given the evidedence that the House of Representatives shows Repubican rule would be.  The only thing that might factor is if there is a ground swell to keep the House and Senate Democratic.  In which case the White House might go Republican.  It's too early tell right now.

Right now I'm sticking with the Republicans will be Perry or Romney and Obama will beat either of them.

---------------
In 2008 Romney was behind Huckabee by lm (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 11:54:19 PM EST
Given how little money Huckabee spent and how much money Romney spent, I think that's pretty indicative of Romney's inability to excite the GOP base regardless of which way he tacks.

And as far as unemployment goes, it's not a rational thing. If people who were out of work in 2008 are still out of work in 2012, they'll go into the voting booth and say "I got your change right here."

Cicero, The Republic
GOP Base in 2012 by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 09:05:51 AM EST
I don't think there is a single GOP base this time.  The GOP has been a coalition since the 1980s of fiscal conservatives, social conservatives and religious conservatvies.  Last year they threw in the Tea Party to make things interesting.  The fiscal and social conservative (the Republican elite) are moving toward Romney.  The religious conservatives are moving to Perry.  The Tea Party are all over Bachman.  They don't have a unified base.

I'm not too worried about the unemployed when the so called intellectuals in the Republican Party have been writing negative things about unemployment insurance and the social network.

The thing going on out there is that the Republican nominee is going to have to say and do things that are going to be very unpopular with the moderates.  So long as no Democrat runs agains Obama for the Democratic nomination he has clear reign to let them duke it out and then take notes and sound bites.  Anyone who can win the Republican nomination can't beat Obama in the general election.

---------------
No *real* Democrat will run against Obama. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 01:29:59 AM EST
This nation is terrified of the likes of Kucinich, so we're gonna get the raw buttfucking we deserve in 2012 and beyond.

I don't need a real Democrat by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:25:10 PM EST
I would be happy with a Barry Goldwater.  "Barry, Buicks and Bourbon,"  Steve Dallas.

---------------
I'd vote for Zombie Barry Goldwater. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:49:15 PM EST

What gzt said by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 08:27:09 AM EST
It would be miraculous for a man who advocates legalization of hard drugs and thinks that Iran has a legitimate right to a nuclear weapons program to get the GOP nomination as a presidential candidate.

Cicero, The Republic
I'm interested in your newsletter by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 10:23:16 AM EST
because I'm worried about Perry and Romney.

frying pans: good or wok? | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback