Print Story slowly losing my mind
By clover kicker (Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 01:24:06 PM EST) (all tags)
I'm restless as hell. The physical caffeine addiction has been broken, but I still crave it. Craaaave it.

I've been thinking about kicking caffeine for months but honestly it's about the only fucking thing I look forward to on any given day. On the flip side I hate being so enslaved. Run out of caffeine and within half a day I'm run over by a cement truck that drains my energy and leaves me a blinding headache.

A few weeks ago I had a nasty virus, took days to get over it. Along the way I cut the caffeine down to once/day, mostly because drinking was too much work.

So now it's once/day, and I can even wait until lunchtime for the maintenance dose without my head exploding, definitely an improvement.

So physically it's OK, intellectually I've decided to do this, but holy fuck the desire to caffeinate just won't quit. It might not be so bad if life held any intrinsic interest, but really it's just obligations and stupid busywork as far as the eye can see.

Anyway, back to hitting refresh on all my usual sites I suppose.

Soon hockey preseason will start and perhaps life will have meaning again.

< reebok hates children | frying pans: good or wok? >
slowly losing my mind | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
what's your form ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 01:25:01 PM EST
because I crave coffee, but good decaff (if that's not a contradiction) is just as swell..

cokehead by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 01:27:38 PM EST
Which is a fraction of the dose in coffee, I just seem to be susceptible to the stuff.

it gets better. by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 02:43:06 PM EST
i was a hardcore caffeine junkie back in the day.  i still enjoy the smell of coffee and chocolate (cigarettes too, used to be a chain smoker at one point), but nowadays i can enjoy the smell without craving them at all.  the smell of cola is not actually appealing, i don't know if it ever was.  but i used to chug a couple of liters of pepsi a day too.

Hockey will never come ... by me0w (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 02:36:54 PM EST
It's just a dream .. we will be stuck with this hellish heat forever .... with nothing to watch but golf *gag* and baseball *shoots self*.

NHL preseason starts mid Sept by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 04:08:01 PM EST
Should be an interesting season, the Sens aren't even pretending to be playoff contenders but the new kids should be fun to watch. Adding Konopka gives them enough goon power to match any team in the league, so hopefully there'll be good entertainment value even when they lose.

And actually it hasn't been a hot summer Down East, we've had a ton of rain.

been there by MillMan (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 07:23:39 PM EST
Living in a boring / crap environment invites substance abuse. Minds will take what they can get, and if poison is it, poison it is.

About 10 years ago now. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 07:02:12 AM EST
I realized coffee wasn't working anymore. I could have a cup, go to bed, and sleep through the night. So I cut down to 2 or 3 cups a day. One with breakfast, one when I get to the office, maybe one with dinner.

Now if I have a cup after 630 PM I'm up until midnight.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I Decaffeinated About Two Years Ago by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 03:52:50 PM EST
That is, I cut down from voluminous coffee intake to just a cuppa tea in the morning. Positive effects included better sleeping and more change in my pockets, but the best single effect was that I pretty much (well, you know, mostly) stopped being a total fucking cunt in the mornings.

Previously, before my first cup of coffee got into me I was a completely profane fuckwit to anyone who talked to me. Now this only happens now and again when I'm behind on my sleep or really stressed out. It used to be every morning.

I still get sleepy in the afternoon, but that's why God made audio mixing suites: for sneaking away where no one can see you to catch forty winks.

Science-fiction wallah, storytelling gorilla, man wearing a hat: Cheeseburger Brown.
slowly losing my mind | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback