Print Story Allow me to despise the working classes today
By Tonatiuh (Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 08:56:36 AM EST) (all tags)
The mob, the forever unhappy mob.

- Family

OK, strictly speaking about family, there is not much to report. Sis & co went somewhere in the US on holiday (they love Disneyland and other cultural wastelands, which is strange since she makes some money playing classical music), one uncle of mine got into Face book and is now following me but he can't figure for the life of mine how to use the darn thing, everybody else back home is allergic to computers (Sis included, in spite of having an Engineering Degree) except my mum, that at 70 something dares to try things on her Ubuntu workstation, I'll get her a tablet next time I am in Tenochtitlan, it is the kind of computer she has been waiting for for the last 10 years (it won't be an iPad you fanboys, and as sure as hell it won't have the OS of the Beast).

So I'll talk about the reason of the classist statement subject of this post instead, after all my family includes me, doesn't it?

First of all it is worth saying that my origins are working class I suppose, authentic proletariat: my mother at some point in her childhood was so poor that could not afford shoes and had to sell chewing gum to passing cars on the streets, in a familiar scene in hundreds of traffic crossroads in Mexico-Tenochtitlan, my dad joined the army because he needed somewhere that would feed him and put a roof over his head (one day after the compulsory 20 years of service he tended his notice of retirement, a few years short of 40), at least one of my grand parents was buried in a common grave because they could not a afford a family plot in the cemetery, and another one died in the US while picking tomatoes destined to garnish the best burgers North of the Rio Bravo.

So although I am no longer working class strictly speaking (thanks to the efforts and sacrifices of my parents and my good luck) I certainly know where my roots are, reason for which I tend to favour the down on his luck people.

Two recent experiences have disabused me of my sympathy, in one incident a mob of ignoramus  crowded on me for taking a picture. They claimed that taking a picture was illegal!? , one woman, clearly quasi illiterate, claimed so as if she had been a qualified solicitor and one of them actually took my mobile phone by force and gave it to a shop attendant, who promptly found the offending picture ( a shot of long queue of costumers in an understaffed shop I was intending to use to launch a complaint) and deleted it without further ado.  I sent a complaint to the shop  and I got a letter with an unreserved apology, I could have pressed for compensation money for copyright infringement and goodness knows what else, if any ambulance chasers lawyers  are reading this feel free to get in touch as long as it costs me no money...

The second incident is much serious: in my way home I was physically assaulted by  3 yobs (you know the type: 20 something, beer can in hand, fit because they do manual work or spend their dole time on the gym, head clean shaven) and now that I can understand English accents, I can tell exactly where in the social ladder of this country they can be neatly inserted in. It is interesting to note that only one of them actually manhandled me, he was so sure of his strength that used only one hand, firmly holding my neck, while holding his beer in the other one (first things first I suppose) and although I am not athletic by any means I don't think I look like a shrinking violet, anyway, he started shouting "give me your money!" while the other two vagrants were laughing their socks off. I know I could have landed one good punch, but fortunately I was so taken by surprise that didn't put any resistance, maybe my passivity saved me from a real battering. The two observant misfits got bored and asked his pal to leave me alone, obviously they had better things to do, and thankfully he did. I tried reporting the incident to the police, but got fed up after hanging in the phone for 20 minutes.

Strangely I was not angry or fearful (and still am not, I walk the same street every day, it will take more than that to scare the wits out of me) but  felt a sense of quasi boredom. Fed up with things really, one hears so much about antisocial behavior that once one experiences it, it seems like more of the same old boring story.

Yesterday I chastised somebody on this heroic site for hating the poor. Well, I was trolling you bro, I know where you are coming from, you Tory bastard.

So only today allow me to hate the poor, the downtrodden, the mob, the masses. Fear the mob, the thoughtless mob, handle the mob and you'll be king...

Tomorrow I'll be back to doing the right thing[TM] and opposing all those rich robber barons that make possible the existence of these uneducated masses, but today they, the uneducated masses, are the recipients of all my vile.

- Work

£££££

- Travel

I was in Lanzarote during the Royal Wedding Bank holiday.

At the end I didn't manage to see my Red Headed friend because my bloody flight was delayed 6 hours, so I missed her, all the same really, because she is planning to marry the guy she has been infatuated with like forever, who abandoned her a couple of times, a guy that every time he has a problem rushes back home to the comfort of mummy's arms (he is mid forties for bunnies sakes...). Why women like that kind of men?

Anyway, Lanzarote is beautiful, the Czech Female Athletics team is even better to look at than Lanzarote's volcanoes,  as are also the German (female) javelin throwers. Also of note was a tall (1.90?) disabled athlete: tall ultra fit blonde  wearing a blade where her lower leg should had been, really sexy in a very different kind of way.

I also spent weekends in Eton and Grantham (Beauvoir Castle, pronounced beaver as for the damn building critter) in the middle of farming country (kilometers and kilometers of cows, sheep and rapeseed) watching fit posh people triathloning their way around the manicured countryside.

After Grantham  I went to Skegness, just because, and took several nice pictures of the unexpected impressive offshore wind turbines and threw away £5 of 2p coins in the decidedly tasteless penny arcades ... went to the shops and found several racist mementos, but hey, this was deepest England, offense is not meant for sure :-/

On Monday, enduring the most horrible weather, I went to Lincoln and spend a good time in the magnificent cathedral, I even bought a Bible in comic form, it is quite well done and portrays Jesus the alleged Christ as a man of Middle Eastern appearance, which is the right thing to do in my atheist book.

- Running

I have started my training for the British 10K in July. My knees are killing me, I need to do far more gym work to strengthen my legs' muscles, but I hate gyms, so I will figure out exercises I can do at home.

- Opera & music

From the previous diary (monthly?) entry:

PROMs season announced. Tickets bought. I could not get tickets for the outstanding Simon Bolivar Orchestra from Venezuela, who are, yet again (and this is no a complaint), playing Mahler.

NY Met Opera Season announced: bought tickets for several broadcasts. The Wagner's ones were sold out in my venue of choice, it never ceases to amaze me how many Wagnerians are there in UKia.

Royal Opera House: can't be bothered: too posh (bankers parade their trophy wives, if that is what they are since the age differences are alarming, with particular gusto, like if they deserved all their wealth and privilege), program too bland, tickets too expensive. I may wait for the discounted performances, which normally are the best ones (bankers don't go to those....).

- Film.

Watched 2 films worth mentioning:

Hanna: gosh, where to start. This was excellent fun as thrillers go, the filmaking is an authentic bravura performance. The editing is sharp and imaginative, the special effects are not felt, and there is not much sentimentalism (the body count grows constantly, and even children and old people we know or see, have not been spared).

The unlikely hero, a genetically modified girl which was intended to be discarded once the "project" that brought her to be was canceled, is perfectly cast in the form of a girl that is menacing but fragile at the same time, completely ignorant of the outside world, but perfectly capable to deal with its dangers, it is to the great credit of the directory and the young actress that they managed to convey a character for which you could not really feel much sympathy at an emotional level, but nevertheless you were on her side from the word go.

@@@@, you won't be disappointed if intelligent gore fests are your thing.

"The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec"

I would describe this one as "Amelie" meets "Indiana Jones" but get all argumentative about a pterodactyl.

OK, so pretty girl looks for immortality formula via a nutty professor, with the intention of reviving an Egyptian doctor (as in a Pharaoh's mummified doctor) who for some reason should be able to cure her sister, who has a pin going through her head which keeps her in a vegetative state.

But the professor tests his techniques with a pterodactyl egg, and guess what, it works...

From there on dinosaurian chaos ensues, the girl somehow gets naked at some point (this is a French movie, it is in the contract of the director to unrobe the female lead at some point), and of course the mummy revives and somehow organizes things to cure Adele's sister.

A complete farrago of a plot, but the actress is cute, there are several humorous set pieces, and I love pterodactyls.

@@@ hopping they just leave it as it is ( cliffhanger at the end suggests a follow up is clearly in the cards: Monsieur Besson: please don't push your luck).

- TV

Is anybody watching "The Event"? I just saw last episode and they left a little cliffhanger in the form of a dying planet freshly transported to the vicinity of Earth so the aliens can colonize at their hearts content, after first disposing of half of us (us and in humanity, working class included for completeness) in the process.

- Books

Spanish (Castillian really) books translated from Basque or Catalan. Not that good frankly ....

- Cat

She is not standing her own and other furry animals are coming inside using the cat flap and making it known that they own the place (guess how).

Will need to install a cat flap with one of those fancy magnetic keys, so the other stinky animals stay out... or will hire a bouncer.

- Polish people:

They are more expensive than Filipino people. Their days as cheap labour are numbered.
But Polish girls are yummier. In the other hand Filipino girls have better sense of humour... but they are all Catholic.... hmmmm....

< Cut Your Face | Ouchy >
Allow me to despise the working classes today | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Copyright infringement? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 09:54:54 AM EST

Also, aren't you also some kind of kung-fu master, or is that some other denizen?

HR Law can give silly results by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 10:18:10 AM EST
...see later

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Temporary injunction. Nothing to see here. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 11:24:06 PM EST
Except Miss Slagger's tuna boat.

Nothing to laugh about. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 09:04:46 AM EST
Nobody can legally delete your pictures from your camera, not even the police (unless you are in North Korea that is, I am talking about the localities I know about, which mostly follow the rule of law).

You have a copyright on every single one of the pictures you take, and in the case of a dispute they could actually amount to evidence, which should not be tampered with.

Property rights issue, but not copyright. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 10:23:17 AM EST
Deletion is not making a copy.

That is nonsensical. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 11:48:01 AM EST
Copyrigth refers to the original artwork and its distribution.

By deleting the original they are depriving you from any possible gains accrued from granting copyright of that work.

And agrreing without conceding, still the chappie that did it  is not entitled to do it for the reasons I explained (destroying evidence for a legal allegation).

Privacy law appendages have longer reach than FSM by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 10:04:22 AM EST
Technically if you're on private property, and a shop is private property, photographs you take are nominally subject to claims of breaches of the right to privacy by employees and shoppers etc.

This argument has been successfully used by someone who didn't want some photos of him canoodling with a frippet in a nightclub appearing in a newspaper.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Unwashed Mob: 1 Tonutiah: 0 by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 10:17:27 AM EST

Miss Jagger claimed breach of copyright, her rights to data protection, and her right to respect for private life under the European Convention on Human Rights, and also her rights in common law. The order prevents further disclosure or publication of the footage or any stills from it.

It was granted against John Darling, the club’s manager, and any other unknown defendants who might have supplied the footage to the News of the World. Mr Darling denies supplying the footage but the judge said there was “a real case” that he had done. “If his denials are true he has nothing to fear from the order.”

James Price, QC, representing Miss Jagger, told the judge: “There’s a very strong case in privacy here.” The judge agreed and said that on the evidence “she had a legitimate expectation of privacy”. He ruled that the balance between her rights and Mr Darling’s rights to freedom of expression came down firmly in favour of restricting publication.

Technically you would have to argue that your Rights of Freedom of Expression and Public interest overcame such matters...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Absolutely, I am all for arguing. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 09:01:04 AM EST
But you would argue that in a court of law.

Nobody has a right to take your property by force (my phone) and nobody has a right to delete pictures you have taken without a judge deciding if there is cause for privacy concerns (as much as one of the other posters laughs about this you have a copyright on any pictures you take, regardless if they invade somebody's privacy or not, what a judge may decide is that they can't be published, meaning that you can't earn any money from them, nevertheless the copyright is still yours and you can use the pictures for any other purposes as long as any legal restraints are adhered to).

Something I forgot to say is that I was trying to explain that if anybody had any objections to the picture I was willing to delete it, but of course this people are used to the swift justice of the mob rather than you know, talking.

One of them threatened to complain to the shop manager (that has no authotiry to do anything except asking me to leave, not an unusual situation serious photographers have to face), when I told her that the actual right thing to do was to call the police if she felt her privacy had been invaded (offering my bussiness card to identify myself) and that I could call them if she wanted, then she chickened out of course.

So yeah, the mob certainly won (it almost always does, otherwise people would not go on demonstrations) but not for the reasons you are implying.

Yes, you hold copyright to your own pics. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 10:00:27 AM EST
However, you're erroneously conflating deletion of said photos and copyright. If you were anywhere near correct on this matter, the publisher of a free magazine could obtain an injuction to prevent me from shredding a copy of it. Settle down and reconsider your statement.

Uh? by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 11:56:36 AM EST
Your example would be valid if what I was "shredding" was the master copy of the magazine, the only means to generate any further copies. Try that any day and let me know in which slammer you end to bring you some chocolate cookies.

First let me quote Wikipedia (yes I know, whatever):

"Copyright owners have the exclusive statutory right to exercise control over copying and other exploitation of the works for a specific period of time"

It is up to the creator to decide how his works are exploited. That includes their right to destroy the work. And of course a creator can claim that somebody destroying the original deprives him of all the possible benefits of the copyrights extracted from that work.

At the end you can put forward the legal case in any way you want, it is clearly a breach of your moral rights if somebody grabs your property and does whatever they feel like doing without your permission. In a civilized society that is not tolerated in general terms.

Yep. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 09:10:24 AM EST
But this has to be made explicit to you.

And in any case, collecting evidence for journalistic or legal purposes would trump that (which was the case since I was documenting a complaint).

I agree that this is a murky area, but things are clarified elsewhere, not in the heat of the moment by forceful means.

In the complaint I sent to the shop I mentioned copyright breach for the deletion, the shop apologized unreservedely and assured me that their personnel would undergo training on this regard, which leads me to believe they know their employee scred up big time.

Not disabled by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 11:07:02 AM EST
Differently enabled, more like.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

Mexico by ni (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 10:06:26 PM EST
Sorry to hear about your encounters with the proletariat.

People are saying some pretty dire things about the implications of Mexico's drug war. Do you think it's a life-and-death for the country as all that?

No. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 11:44:22 AM EST
The roots of the country are very strong. In spite of everything we still have a functioning modern country, skirming around the violence, the ineptitude and the corruption.

All peaceful people, regardless of political affiliation, are united against the violence, the problem is that so far that will has not encountered a political expression in the form of a group of people that know what to do with the problem (IMHO we need a government of national unity that can tell Obama, or whoever is the US Prez, to take a hike and legalize and regulate the production and commercialization of drugs, at that moment I believe several US states would do the same and the commerce of the substances would be regulated, leaving the US Federal Government looking even more stupid than usual and drug barons out of business, but we are missing the politicians in Mexico ready to take that step, the discourse is still mostly about keeping the War going).

Thanks. by ni (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jun 09, 2011 at 11:56:55 AM EST
I'm glad to hear it. I'd really like to see the country, perhaps soon, and ideally would avoid getting shot in the process.