Print Story more with the stuff and things
Software
By gzt (Tue May 24, 2011 at 04:23:16 PM EST) gzt, history, chess, the wifing unit, the book of faces (all tags)
I like stuff and things.

Work is workful. Waiting to hear back from $AREA on scheduling stuff.

Seems a friend of ours who has been unemployed finally got a decent jorb. Not quite what she really wanted, but good enough. She had an interview at my company, too, yesteday, but got an offer at the other jeorb, so that's that. This is good, because it means she doesn't have to move away and disappear.

I had a chess game last night. I played against a guy I beat a few weeks ago. I won, but apparently I made a fatal blunder. I discuss it on my rather boring chess web-log. http://gztchess.blogspot.com/2011/05/last-nights-game.html The answer is Rf8+. If ...Kxf8, Qb4+ followed by Nxg3. Black has only a knight and rook for the queen, which is definitely not sufficient compensation and White will likely snap up some more material very soon. Things are not looking good at all. So that makes twice in a row I made a mistake that he didn't notice and then he made a mistake that I crushed.

So I've won all of my chess league games so far. 4-0-0.

I've got some big projects to finish at work. Things would be easier if we had tools, things would be better if I were in predictive modeling instead of this crap.

It's bloody windy. And chilly. After a weekend where it allegedly hit 90 degrees.

I like the wifing unit.

Man, I've been on facebook for seven years now. I'm not sure of the exact signup date, but it was spring of '04. It was either that year or the next that the scavenger hunt had some kind of "assbook" mockup. I know it was back in the day when it was still "thefacebook" and not "facebook". It was probably the next year.

I need a nap. I've been tired. I just gave a meandering status update in the team meeting. Good thing it's not in-person. I'd be yaaaawwwning.

Huh, my other web-log got more hits in the last month than in the entirety of its history.

Reading Flashman, too. Good stuff. The wifing unit is finishing Anathem. She's rather enjoying it. I don't know what she'll think of Cryptonomicon. I don't know what either of us would think of that dreadful trilogy.

< catchup | LOLRSK8zZz >
more with the stuff and things | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Anathem has not left my bathroom by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue May 24, 2011 at 04:30:03 PM EST
it's the kind of book you can reread a section at random and enjoy.

I think by barooo (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed May 25, 2011 at 01:52:26 PM EST
it's Stephenson's best book.  Snow Crash is better in spots, as is Cryptonomicon.  But as a whole, Anathem is better.   The baroque cycle was interesting, and I should re-read it but I don't think I'm capable of sitting through it again.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I agree on that by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed May 25, 2011 at 02:04:29 PM EST
Snow Crash was a little uneven and unpolished, definitely bearing signs of being an early work. I don't dock points for that, as it was very fun. Cryptonomicon was more polished, but still uneven - he needed an editor and it dragged a bit. Anathem didn't really drag, had a decent ending, and was fun throughout. I was mildly annoyed by some of the fantasy world stuff, mostly the philosophy, but I view that as a personal problem, not a problem with the book.

I still like Zodiac by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 25, 2011 at 02:18:35 PM EST
Stephenson can be quick when he wants to.

I should read that sometime. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 25, 2011 at 02:44:45 PM EST
I really should.

I didn't like Cryptonomicon by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat May 28, 2011 at 07:00:15 PM EST
My wife just finished Snow Crash and wandered "what's the point?"

A number of people have recommended Anathem to me. But I'm dubious. I did like some aspects of Cryptonomicon. The bits telling the history of computer assisted code-breaking, I found to be fascinating. But I found a PBS documentary on NCR in Dayton, Ohio building Bombas to be more  fascinating.

So I'm not certain that I'll bother picking up Anathem.

Cicero, The Republic
I wouldn't use... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat May 28, 2011 at 07:06:44 PM EST
...feelings about Cryptonomicon to gauge how you might like Anathem. They're completely different.

Flashman by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 24, 2011 at 07:55:04 PM EST
Excellent.  I can't recommend the series enough.

---------------