Print Story Telling Stories: The tl;dr version
By toxicfur (Mon May 23, 2011 at 06:31:48 PM EST) (all tags)
I wrote a long diary over the weekend about my tattoos, and told the stories of them.

Here's the short version, with photos of the four tattoos.

First, the photographer (Noodlebowl, one of my coworkers) told me I needed to show a bit of muscle, since I was wearing a camisole (under a blazer, to make the displaying of the new tattoos easier). Unfortunately, I don't have much upper body muscle, as you can see here. This picture makes me realize I really need to start (don't look, gzt) doing yoga again.

The first tattoo I got -- a 29th birthday gift to myself -- was a Celtic design representing the Maiden-Mother-Crone concept. It's the tattoo with the least-good art, but I have no regrets. It's high on my back, between my shoulder blades.

I got the second tattoo - on my upper right arm - in 2006, and it's the Tree of Life, from the base of the rood in the church I attended. It's faded to a lovely silver now, and it's a tattoo I'm very proud of - the artist did a great job with the shading (over the three+ hours I sat there).

The third tattoo - on my upper left arm - is an excerpt from Neil Gaiman's poem "Instructions":

Remember your name.
Do not lose hope. What you seek
will be found. Trust ghosts.
Trust those that have helped you
to help you in their turn.
Trust dreams, trust your heart
and trust your story.

And the fourth tattoo - on my inner lower left arm, just below the elbow crease - is Clyde, the (female) garden spider. The design is based on a photo I took of the spider in my yard, and I have to say that this is the tattoo that I have the most affection for. I suspect she'll fade to silver over time as well.

< game pimpage | catchup >
Telling Stories: The tl;dr version | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
re: the first photo by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon May 23, 2011 at 07:23:18 PM EST
I have the same picture of MissTrish in dystopian Toronto 3 feet from me hanging in my cube.

I love that print. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 23, 2011 at 07:57:54 PM EST
It's hanging over my desk, and every now and then I just gaze up at it and kind of wish I could go out into dystopian Toronto and kick some ass with MissTrish instead of reading another grant proposal.
hmm by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 24, 2011 at 09:22:34 AM EST
maybe I need to move mine. I have process flow, and lookup tables over my desk. MissTrish would probably be better up there.

I wish spacejack was still hanging out here.

Me too. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 24, 2011 at 09:36:28 AM EST
He's one of many who used to post pretty regularly who I miss.
So very cool by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 23, 2011 at 10:32:04 PM EST
And you can add the photo on the top to the Gaiman tattoos collection.

Clyde turned out very, very well. I was glad you wrote about him / them in the other diary, because I never quite got the meaning of the spider you drew long ago, in reference to $evil_project.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thanks. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue May 24, 2011 at 07:05:10 AM EST
Clyde is the first tattoo I've gotten that I could actually watch as it was inked. I was kind of amazed that these quick little strokes could create the shading on her body, and I'm really happy with how she turned out.

I'd forgotten about the Clyde I'd drawn for $evil_project. I'm not sure at that point I could've explained what Clyde meant then - the spider stories have been rolling around in my head for a few years now.

Lovely. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 24, 2011 at 06:11:18 PM EST
TYVM, TF.

You're welcome. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue May 24, 2011 at 08:26:26 PM EST
And thank you!
That Neil Gaiman book is awesome. by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 04:48:11 PM EST
My sis bought it for me this year for my birthday.

Love the spider!  I've been having lots of spider dreams lately.  Good omens (I hope).

Spiders represent creativity by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 08:41:06 PM EST
and creation, so it does sound like they're good omens, especially if you're writing and creating!

I bought 'Instructions' for both of my nephews when they were infants. They're still too young for it, but I wanted them to have it for when they're older. It's one of my favorite poems/stories in the world.