Print Story Attention Mycologist Infidels!
Food
By ana (Tue May 10, 2011 at 09:24:01 PM EST) Mushrooms (all tags)
Please to be identifying this mushroom! It is growing in a crack in my patio!

That is all.

< Coda. | TPD is now teh games developer - OFFICIAL >
Attention Mycologist Infidels! | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I swear by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue May 10, 2011 at 10:08:18 PM EST
Both here and facebook, I've read that first as "my oncologist"

It looks like a morel by Herring (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed May 11, 2011 at 02:32:06 AM EST
And they are edible. Probably.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Agreed. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu May 12, 2011 at 01:50:50 PM EST
I think ana should eat it. What's the worst that could happen?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
While it looks like a morel by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed May 11, 2011 at 04:00:38 AM EST
Morels tend to grow under trees, and they're not terribly hearty. If you don't have someone who knows for sure nearby, better to be safe and avoid -- mushroom poisoning is pretty fucking horrible.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Yep by Phage (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed May 11, 2011 at 04:53:11 AM EST
I read that last week by BadDoggie (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed May 11, 2011 at 06:26:19 AM EST
He deserved it, the filthy fucking airy-fairy hippie. Maybe next time he goes looking for wild food he should skip the cleansing qi-changing meditation and pay attention.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

I did chuckle by Phage (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed May 11, 2011 at 06:31:19 AM EST
At after all that Hospital work - he wondered if his crystals had had something to do with his recovery.

Nah. by ni (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed May 11, 2011 at 09:14:15 AM EST
Morels do grow in association with roots, but "under trees" is too strict. If there's a tree within 7 or 8 meters, that's more than good enough.

Among local people, I have a (very minor) reputation for hyper-conservativism regarding morels, but that is clearly and unambiguously a morel. The exact species is questionable, although if I were pressed to guess I would say Morchella elata. It's sort of moot, though, since they're not really "species" in any real sense anyway.

Hyper-conservative morals? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed May 11, 2011 at 09:16:39 AM EST
What a lovely idea.

I don't know by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed May 11, 2011 at 06:07:06 AM EST
I wouldn't take a nap on the patio unless you want to awaken as a pod person.

---------------
It is one of the most unambiguous by ni (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed May 11, 2011 at 09:05:52 AM EST
morels I've ever encountered. Lucky bastard.

Thanks. by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed May 11, 2011 at 09:22:49 AM EST
I hadn't even noticed it. toxicfur was planting annuals at my house on Sunday and pointed it out. There's a flowering crabapple tree at the other side of the patio, which presumably has roots underneath (it certainly has branches overhead).

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Apple trees by ni (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed May 11, 2011 at 09:25:52 AM EST
are the classic city host of morels (which is actually a bit strange, and something I've wondered about before -- they grow under many other trees in woodlands, but are nearly always under apple trees in cities).

Attention Mycologist Infidels! | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback