Print Story on fatigue
By clock (Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:22:16 AM EST) (all tags)
I’m feeling some.

I’m pretty tired.  That’s kind of what having a baby in the house is about, right?  It’s about managing the energy that you no longer have.  My mom has been in town since last week and will be leaving a week from this Tuesday.  She is a fantastic parking lot for The Cuteness.  The get along well, napping and whatnot, for most of the day.  It works well for Stacky and it’s great as far as I’m concerned.  But when my mom leaves?  We’ll be outnumbered.  Man.  That’s gonna suck.

I know I’m not getting enough sleep because, well, I’m tired.  And irritable.  And my mind is running in these meaningless little circles.  I keep sliding off into the thousand yard stare and I can focus on any given task for roughly 1.3 seconds.  Yeah.  I’m tired.

The Cuteness is amazingly cute.  She is so very snuggly and she loves her daddy.  She generally settles down for me very quickly and likes to sleep on my chest.  There are few things as relaxing as cuddling up with a sleeping baby.  There’s something soothing about the quick, little breaths and that crazy warmth they put off.  It doesn’t hurt that she’s my little girl and I love her like I never thought that I could.  Man, kids really do bring that weird stuff out, don’t they?

The Dude almost didn’t survive the weekend.  He’s 3.5 years old and has a new baby sister.  He’s acting up a little bit and as he’s the only one in the house getting a good night’s sleep, he’s decreasing his fun factor when running at full tilt.  Not his fault, mind you, but still a lot to handle.  He’s a busy, busy guy.

I miss my wife.  She’s in the house.  I see her from time to time.  I don’t think we’ve had a meaningful conversation about anything other than crying, sleeping, waste materials, or food for nearly a month.  It sucks a lot.  She’s really great.  But I miss her.

We’re pretty much settled on buying a new car.  The Jetta isn’t going to cut it.  Two car seats, a dog, and two adults won’t fit.  Hell, 3 adults and 2 car seats won’t fit.  Double hell, I barely fit!  The thought of driving to Ohio in the summer with my knees up my nose isn’t really appealing but we won’t jump on a new vehicle so quickly.  Also, ya know what?  It’s 2011.  Where in the fuck is a car that can haul the above and get better than 25 mpg?  And why in the fuck is any fuel consumption in the 20s acceptable?  My Golf gets 49-52.  That should be the average.  Jeebus people, that oil shit isn’t gonna be around forever!  It’s all bullshit!  That said, we’ll get some Le Behemoth and hope for the best.  Meh.  Double meh.

Got my iPad.  Yeah.  It’s pretty much the shit.  I hate browsing on anything else now.  And even looking at the ‘doze box I’m on now makes me sick.  It really is a device that doesn’t make sense until you use it.  And once used, well, it’s kind of addictive.  I’ve stopped lugging my personal laptop to work now and the heaviest thing in my bag is my lunch.  That feels pretty good.  There’s nothing I can’t do with it in terms of the stuff I do that’s not in my studio.  BUT when it comes to reading books?  nook 1, iPad 0.  I don’t dig the active screen.  It makes little sense, but I guess I read books differently than I read everything else.  Still, like with the iPhone, it’s nice to have books there in a pinch.  So far, it’s an A+ device.

So this was a nice ramble.  I’m exhausted.  How are you?

< Pity, you ancient stones, those tender babes | taxes and death. >
on fatigue | 81 comments (81 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The Dude by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:27:37 AM EST
I keep saying that he needs more active things to do on the weekends, and you keep not wanting to.  An hour's turn at the park will do wonders to keep him in line that watching America's Test Kitchen just can't.

I would take him, but I had to do the ugly errands this weekend.  And I tend to have a baby on my boob all the time.

right by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:32:34 AM EST
but Saturday wasn't a good day for that.  too much going on.  too many things that needed doing.  and i just didn't have the energy...i was totally wasted.  sunday might have been better but he got his exercise other ways.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I miss having a sleeping baby on my chest by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:36:23 AM EST
so, SUV or minivan?

SUV by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:41:07 AM EST
sigh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

A Diesel SUV at least offers the possibility by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:46:55 AM EST
of being fueled from bio-diesel grown on your commune.

heh. yeah. by clock (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 10:50:14 AM EST
but we're not really looking that way.  again, i've given up in disgust when it comes to the automotive industry.  we'll just suck it up, get a used grand cherokee and be done with it.

again i say, sigh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

We quite like our Sante Fe by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:18:07 AM EST
Fuel mileage is theoretically the suck but like the larger trucks, it just doesn't change - tow a trailer? Drive up a mountain? Load 1000 pounds into the back? (All things we do regularly) Fuel mileage is a constant.

Though that said, car seats get a lot smaller as you go. Our kids are 14 months apart; we had two of the big car seats (made for the smallest kids, naturally) facing backwards at the same time. That filled the back seat of even an SUV such that nothing else fit back there, certainly not a person.

Then it was one forward, one back. Just that change meant we could fit a kid in the middle if necessary.

Then it was one forward, and one booster seat. Suddenly an adult could fit in the middle, if they weren't obese.

Now we have two booster seats. It's a three-passenger seat again. If it weren't for cargo needs, we could downsize to a smaller car quite nicely. That happens at age 3; so assuming things would be similar (we base seat changes on height and weight) you don't need to plan on the SUV forever.

Also, I have friends with multiple kids who swear by their Volvo and Subaru station wagons. Good gas mileage (though nothing in your Golf or Jetta range) and large back seats; I know one family (of insane people) with three car seats across the back of a Subaru Outback.

Subarus rock by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:26:40 AM EST
I don't think they have the off road capability of a Jeep, but they're a lot less likely to tip in a turn, and are probably more reliable with better gas mileage.

We love our Outback by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:52:48 AM EST
But yeah, low 20's mpg city, high 20's highway.  ~$30K price tag.

Also, it consistently scores high in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety vehicle ratings.

clock does not fit by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:06:49 PM EST
in Subaru seats.  They're not made for Viking-type oafs.

Makes sense by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:10:56 PM EST
We're modestly sized people.

if he were normal sized by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:18:41 PM EST
we would have much better car options.  The Dude looks like he's going to be his dad's size, as well.

Probably not in that vehicle though by marvin (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:59:20 PM EST
By the time my kids are too big to fit in the back seats, they won't be wanting to go places with us anyways, so we might be able to switch back to a compact car in a few more years.

We're almost booster seat-free. I'm 6'3", and my 12 year old is already taller than his mom, so I hear ya on the viking stuff.

car seats by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:06:18 PM EST
we currently have The Dude in a Britax Frontier, still using the 5 point harness.  I don't want him in just a belt-adjusting booster until he's 5.  He's too squirmy, and I know he won't stay in a seatbelt.  Better safe than sorry, and all that.

We have Toadette in a Britax Marathon 70 (rear-facing, of course).  She'll be in it a LOOOOONG time, especially since she seems to be totally normal in terms of size (we bought the Marathon anticipating another oaf baby).

So yeah, we have big car seats, and will continue to have them for some time to come.  I did a little recon at the Jeep dealer the other day, and our car seats will fit in the back with another adult in a Grand Cherokee.  And, honestly, if I have to sell out and get bad fuel milage, I'd like to drive something I consider "fun" - the Cherokee is one of the few vehicles I'd enjoy (for purely dumb reasons, of course).

How long is the trunk of the Santa Fe?  The "plan" is to put dog and some stuff in the trunk, then the rest of the gear on top.  The Cherokee is a great size to do that in, other SUVs, not so much - we care more about floor area than cubic feet, if that makes sense.

It's not bad by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:38:08 PM EST
If you're in a position to adjust the rear seats a bit so they're up straight, you can fit a lot in the cargo area. I could measure it, but I know I can fit my folding ladder in the back without any positioning, or the full suit of sails for the boat. I can fit a large 40 gallon cooler aligned front-to-back the long way. It's not a truck, but there aren't a lot of loads I have to find another vehicle to carry, especially since the roof rack is actually quite usable.

My boy was way too squirmy and I had my doubts about the booster - but we agreed to try it since he was outgrowing his old one and Grammy had a spare anyway for her car. It actually helped enormously - he can see better and has fewer constrictions, so he doesn't try to get out of it as much. We were having trouble with the shoulder belts - he's flexible and squirmy enough to get out of the top of the five point harness even when it's snugged down tighter than it should be. He doesn't mess with the seat belt in his booster. One stern warning about unbuckling before it's time every few weeks and he's been fine. It won't necessarily work on your kid, but I had the exact same concern and it turned out to be a great change for him.

Duh by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:39:21 PM EST
There's enough cargo space in the Sante Fe to fit a third row seat. We don't, and if you get that option there's very little cargo space left, but that's a rather obvious signal about the amount of space back there.

3rd row? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #33 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:21:11 PM EST
nice!!  really nice!

Also, by technician (2.00 / 0) #42 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 06:26:42 PM EST
You do not want a Jeep by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #44 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 06:54:58 PM EST
They are notoriously bad wrt maintenance and recalls. I loved the brand (grew up with it) but will never ever buy Jeep again. It had several recalls off the bat right after I bought it and then it was a nightmare the last few years with stupid shit breaking.

If I was thinking American car again, I'd go with a Ford Explorer Hybrid.

Don't get a used Chrysler product. by technician (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:10:43 PM EST
If you don't listen to anything else I say ever, don't buy a used Chrysler product. Or a new one (unless it was made in the last few weeks).

Look closely at Hyundai. They're where Honda was in the early-80s, quality-wise. They make some large-ish crossover vehicles.

You don't need a full sized SUV. I manage to fit myself and three extremely large co-workers in my Golf. One of the guys likes to sit in the back because he's 6'7", and it's funny for him to fit in the back of a medium sized car.

Seriously, don't get a Jeep unless you like developing a close and long lasting relationship with a repair shop.

it's not about need by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #32 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:20:56 PM EST
because as i've pointed out to clock, technically we could just take both vehicles when we go on camping trips (any place we take the dog is less than 3 hours away).

clock did the whole jeep thing, so i was going with his POV.  maybe i should just ask Grandpa, since he's worked in the auto industry forever.

spoiler alert! by clock (4.00 / 1) #36 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:42:24 PM EST
grandpa will tell you to get a Subaru wagon.  he forgets that i hit my head when i sit in them.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Ye gads! by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #68 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 04:34:39 PM EST
How much headroom do you need? I thought I needed a ton (6'5", 31" inseam) but I couldn't imagine running out in a station wagon. Note that my parents have the same minivan Marvin sings the praises of, and I laugh at the (non-front seat) headroom. If you (and Dude) have an even more freaky torso than me, Toyota Siennas do not apply.

Wumpus

Well by clock (2.00 / 0) #70 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 05:05:05 PM EST
I'm 6'3"-ish with a 32" inseam. I'm basing my experience on the Subaru wagon m dad had a few years back. It wasn't good for me at all in terms of height or width. I'm a broad dude.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

It depends greatly on the year by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #78 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 11:17:03 PM EST
The Subaru Outback has ranged everywhere from a compact hatchback in size to a sizable station wagon. The mid-2000s were compact hatchback years; earlier models were huge. There's also the Forester, which is a little more SUV and a little less station wagon but, as I possibly inaccurately recall, gets gas mileage in the station wagon range.

Heh by Herring (4.00 / 1) #38 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:53:21 PM EST
I may or may not know that you are completely fucking right. But for professional reasons I cannot express an opinion.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
We're American by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:42:26 AM EST
If you want more than 25mpg, you'd better start investing in men's capris and a man-purse.

I've been happy with my 2010 Equinox.  Very nice size for the gas mileage.  Since I moved here, averaging about 28mpg shuttling around N. Dallas.

I've heard good things about the Ford Escape Hybrid - which gets over 30, but at a price over 30k too.  The premium on some of the hybrids suck.

but it's 2011 by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:07:59 PM EST
we were supposed to have flying cars for over a decade now!  And yet, most vehicles get slightly better than my 1980 Buick Regal did.  It just seems wrong.

I agree by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #37 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:48:42 PM EST
I've been following Moller International since the 90s.  They're always just 3 years away.  They've got some neat technologies, but they don't have a clue about the aviation industry.  Those claims of low cost mass production have been made so many times before (Eclipse Aviation?) and always result in failure.

I am disappointed with our alternative power technology though.  Seems like we're a good decade behind what we should be and the costs are much too high still.  How can you justify an upgrade to a car that gives costs 10k when it'd take 10+ years to make that up in savings?  Your car payments for 5 years would be much higher than the gas savings.

The last 10 years have seen some remarkable improvements in safety.  Here's hoping the next 10 see the same research dedicated to efficiency.

It's the dog by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 12:39:55 PM EST
I hauled me, my wife, two kids, and an extra adult comfortably last summer.  Got 37 MPG for the trip.

not just the dog by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:07:27 PM EST
it's also clock being an oaf and the car seats, especially the rear-facing one.  if the RF seat is behind the driver's seat clock can't drive the car because he can't get the driver's seat back far enough.  if he were shorter, then we could just deal with the cars we have, even with the dog (use the Golf for camping trips).

Nah by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #39 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 04:51:02 PM EST
Any current mid-size sedan (unless it is made by GM) should handle clock's oafishness and a child seat.

Stupid Question by barooo (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 01:00:28 PM EST
is a honda CR-V big enough?  I remember the 2003 one being roomier than a jetta in terms of legroom and would definitely have more dogroom.  Seems like 2 adults, 2 carseats, a dog, and a roof rack would fit, and the mileage isn't great but at least it's small and nimble and stuff.  I think mileage is low 30's.

If I hadn't insisted on the jetta wagon, I'd probably have one.

Also, the new jetta wagon might be an option, you can find a gently used TDI one for low 20's and it ought to last forever.  But I have no clue what a used grand cherokee goes for so that might be over your limit.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
New Jetta by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 01:27:20 PM EST
I'm going to check out a new Jetta wagon, I hear there's more room in the back seat than the older model.  If that's the case, we will most likely scrap the SUV options.  I need to ask my mechanic about the new TDI engines to see if they really are as good as the old ones.  According to him, the ALH engines (both are TDIs are ALH) are great and the PDs were complete crap.  Who knows how the new ones are.

The CRV is 21 city/28 highway, so not that much different than the Cherokee, considering 90% of what I do is city driving.

What I hear by barooo (2.00 / 0) #41 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 06:07:54 PM EST
the new ones are not as bulletproof as the ALH bcuase they have way crazy complex emissions stuff, but they're pretty good.  They're also crazy powerful (more torque than an F150) and fast, and still get about the same mileage.

And there is tons more room.  A sportwagen has about the same legroom as a 2003 passat.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
not the same mileage by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #53 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 09:44:40 AM EST
the mileage is lower than the ALHs, due to the emissions.  still, it beats the pants off of just about every car out there.

same legroom as the passat?  OK, this changes everything.  I really need to find the time to go sit in one.  if it has the room, then we'll get one.

Same ballpark and different metrics by barooo (2.00 / 0) #56 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 10:09:39 AM EST
The EPA mileage methodology changed around 2007, it's closer to the real world now and involves actual driving, not just putting it on a dyno.  If you aren't a hypermiler, an ALH 5-speed is around 40-42, same for the new ones but with about double the power and less emissions (and more complexity).

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
legroom by barooo (2.00 / 0) #57 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 10:11:00 AM EST
that may be a slight exaggeration, but it's at least 3-4 inches better than the previous generation, and the backset feels like night and day.  It goes from being a joke for adults to being comfortable.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
3-4 inches is a LOT by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #59 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 12:07:09 PM EST
and would probably fix what ails us.

i think i'll try to sneak over to the dealer today and sit in one to see what's what.

Good luck by barooo (2.00 / 0) #61 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 12:15:09 PM EST
hopefully I haven't misled you.  I've only ridden in one "new" jetta, but to me the back seat was perfectly usable.  In my jetta it's a joke.

Another thing w/ the newer ones.  if one of you two doesn't love driving a stick and the other does, the direct shift gearbox is nice.  It's complex, but it's awesome.  My wife barely tolerates stick, but I love it.  If I were buying a sportwagen I'd still want the 6-speed manual, but I'd seriously consider going DSG to make her happy, it's an "automatic" that I could tolerate.

if you both like stick, then disregard and enjoy the 6-speed.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
you were right!! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #64 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 03:50:36 PM EST
when the front seat is all the way back, there still ~1.5" from my knees to the seat when I'm in the back!  also, based on my measurements, the car seat will fit just fine with the front seat all the way back.

KICK ASS!

also, it looks like there's enough trunk space for a certain Rottweiler to lay down lengthwise and still have room for cargo.

I think this will be our vehicle solution!  we won't be able to do the 3rd adult in the back seat, but i'll make that sacrifice for good milage (we'll just take 2 cars the 10 times a year we need to tote an additional person).

also: we both like manual transmissions.

Cool by barooo (2.00 / 0) #66 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 03:54:37 PM EST
I'm jealous.  A sportwagen was out of our budget so we overpaid for an ALH wagon.  In the grand scheme of things, it has advantages (I'm very familiar with it, it's simple, it'll probably last forever), but more power and more room and a 6 speed would be pretty kickass.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I'll be honest by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #67 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 04:08:10 PM EST
I DO NOT want to buy another car.  The thought of a car payment makes me quite angry.  However, it will make certain aspects of our life more comfortable so...whatever.  Hopefully we won't have to buy another vehicle for at least 10 years.

Since we just paid off the small mortgage, we have a car payment pretty  much carved out.

I hear you by barooo (2.00 / 0) #72 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 05:50:24 PM EST
If it was up to me we'd have kept the sedan, but the station wagon does make more sense for kid + dog.  We paid cash for our car, which is why a sportwagen was out of our budget...

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
if we hadn't by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #73 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 07:16:57 PM EST
just paid off the small mortgage, we could've paid cash for a new car.  ah well, choices and all that.

At least tell me you've test-driven a minivan by marvin (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 01:57:01 PM EST
I'm struggling with how to react to this one, given some comments from an earlier time, when the world was a simpler place.

I remember a coarse saying from high school - mopeds are like fat chicks. Fun to ride, but you don't want to be seen with one. It appears that minivans suffer the same stigma.

Have you test-driven any minivans? I've done the SUV thing with carseats, and it is sub-optimal in comparison. Here are some factors that sway me deeply in favour of minivans over SUVs.

The cars that you want do exist. In Europe. I've given up hope that Ford will ever bring the S-Max or Galaxy to North America, let alone in a diesel version.

Plus, cops have self esteem by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:00:05 PM EST
they don't want to be laughed at in the locker room for pulling over a minivan.

Cornering too, I won't call our Windstar nimble, but flooring it when entering a curving onramp is boring, compared to the same thing in my sister in law's Grand Cherokee.

you can laugh by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:11:59 PM EST
but most of my previous comments still apply.

it's falling apart for us with the rear-facing car seat.  clock is just too tall, AND we have a big car seat because we assumed we would have another oaf baby.  we could have gotten a smaller car seat and things would have been better.

we discussed the minivan, but just can't go there.  if we're going to get jack shit for milage, why not drive something i would actually enjoy driving?

if clock weren't such a whiner, we wouldn't even be discussing a new vehicle.

s/whiner/tall and handsome man by clock (4.00 / 2) #24 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:21:11 PM EST
i think that's what you meant to say.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

you can't do that! by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #74 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 08:55:47 PM EST
You need to sudo stacky to modify system files.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Oh believe me by clock (2.00 / 0) #76 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 09:14:49 PM EST
I do Stack as often as I ... Umm... Wait. That's not right.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Enjoy driving?? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:45:05 PM EST
Not a concept to which I can relate. Most driving is a chore, a burden, a nuisance, or a pain. The destination matters, the journey is something that is in the way.

All I want from a vehicle is something that gets the trip over with the least amount of fuss, expense, trouble, and inconvenience.

I hope to move out of the burbs and closer to the city center this summer. Right now, we have one vehicle in the family that gets driven maybe 8-10,000 miles a year (12-15,000 km), mostly by my wife. I'd like to cut that in half after we move, and switch from taking the bus to walking / riding my bike.

We're toying with the idea of getting a 4 door pickup for fishing / camping / hunting / hauling stuff like bikes, boats, or kayaks, but that would mean paying to insure two vehicles (one compact and one pickup truck). Our Canuckistani provincially-owned vehicle insurance corporation (not joking) charges around $1,000 per year per vehicle, so if they ever switch to a mileage based system, we'll buy a used truck and put a second vehicle on the road that will see maybe 1000 miles per year.

I figure that if we make lifestyle choices to drive fewer miles, the mpg matters less. I still dislike fuel pigs though.

Oh, and I'll laugh. At things that apply, but don't apply to you. Heh.

Have you actually driven a van yet? It's like the dark side. The practicality and comfort will envelop you in its smothering embrace.

i've driven by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #34 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:24:14 PM EST
my friend's van (the Toyota one), and I didn't much care for it.

My biggest hope is the new Jettas really are bigger, and will work for us.

In our Dream Future, we're a one-car family.  It's one of the goals for when we leave this horrible city.

What's the matter with Passats? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #35 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 03:37:38 PM EST
If you're big on VWs?

not VWs in general by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #40 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 06:01:02 PM EST
just the TDIs.  There aren't Passat TDIs, otherwise I'd probably have one.

OK, there was a Passat TDI at one point, but everybody said they were WAY underpowered for the weight of the car, and generally sucked.

Wait, people buy cars with petrol engines? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #43 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 06:38:36 PM EST
This must be some kind of bizarro universe you live in.

OK, maybe I just happen to share an office with the bloke who runs our company car fleet. Everyone buys diesels, on account of emissions based tax incentives.

everybody makes fun of my diesel by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #54 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 09:45:48 AM EST
i only know a handfull of people who buy them.  the USA is a barbaric place.

That's Texas by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #62 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 12:25:36 PM EST
And I'm sure other regions as well, but here in the PNW diesels are well respected. They're still not as common as they should be, but they're not ridiculed.

i think it's mostly my friends by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #65 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 03:52:04 PM EST
diesel trucks are ALL over the place.

Dude by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #46 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 07:01:18 PM EST
I may be one of the only ones on the site that can say this, but I love driving now. It seriously is the highlight/stress relief/I can't wait to do it "chore" of my day.

But I hated it for years in my other cars. YMMV.

not the only one. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #75 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 08:57:48 PM EST
I love driving.  In fact, give me a weekend and a map.

Then again I drive a Tracker, so YMMV.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

yh is right by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #47 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 09:41:57 PM EST
The trip isn't supposed to be a chore. If it is, you're doing it wrong.

I have a commuter car that I drive for 7 miles each way per day. For that, all I ask is that it have a decent sound system. But I enjoy long car trips. We sing, we talk, we play car trip games. We do the same on the boat - the sailing is a big part of the fun. "Where are we going" is as likely to be answered with "oh, just out and back" as anything else.

It's a basic mindset. You don't have it, and that's fine, but don't assume everybody shares yours or can be persuaded that it's right.

Transpose much by marvin (2.00 / 0) #48 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:14:17 PM EST
I was fairly clear that my statements were my personal feelings. The occasional use of "I" was a clue to that, as was the statement "Not a concept to which I can relate". In other words, other concepts are possible, but they're not for me.

The trip isn't supposed to be a chore. If it is, you're doing it wrong.
.........

I am curious how you can reconcile your first and third paragraphs. They appear contradictory.

You're making a common fundamental error by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #49 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 11:34:44 PM EST
Expecting consistency.

Actually, I would reconcile them this way - it's true that the trip might not be the fun part, or even a significant portion of the fun, and that this is a basic matter of mindset. I can even stipulate, as an intelligent human being of a rational bent, that this attitude isn't necessarily "wrong". That doesn't mean it's okay for it to be a "chore". If it's really a chore, in the sense of something you have to be forced to do, you're doing it wrong. There should at least be options for making it less burdensome, some of which you mentioned - more comfortable vehicle (for your definition of comfortable, naturally), a more interesting vehicle (ditto), or if all else fails, a shorter drive time.

Also, my reaction was predicated on your apparent positioning - yes, you said "I" a fair bit, but you also used a lot of "you" based on your preferences rather than Stacky or clock's. Fair enough, your opinion is valid and all. But not everyone thinks driving should be a chore, and the people who don't feel that way are pretty much never going to go for a minivan.

(Comment Deleted) by marvin (2.00 / 0) #50 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 12:29:56 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by marvin

Hrmmmm by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #81 Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 02:28:07 PM EST
I used to enjoy driving a lot more than I do now.  I'm not clear what has changed with me, but driving has become an exercise in getting from point A to point B.  The getting there is an annoying delay, not an enjoyable experience.

On the other hand, I totally get the boat thing.  I (used to) do that with flying.  Where am I going?  Out for a burger.  250 miles away.   I eat lunch in bad airport restaurants I wouldn't even consider if I lived near them.

Tall by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #45 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 06:57:48 PM EST
I'm 6'3".  I drive a Prius.  It's a perfect car for us, though we don't have two kids and a dog.  We had no troubles at all with the rear-facing car seat.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Prius has great passenger space by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #55 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 09:47:24 AM EST
crap cargo space (for our needs).

Crap cargo space? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #58 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 11:48:30 AM EST
It has more than you'd think.  I fit a six foot Christmas tree in mine.

(Admittedly with the back seat down.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

cheater! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #60 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 12:09:36 PM EST
Grandpa has a Prius (actually on his second one), so I am quite familliar with the cargo space.  if the roof didn't slope down, it might work for us.

i think the area of the trunk might work, though - i never put much thought into it because clock is very anti-Prius (hilarious story!  not to him, though).

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #63 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 02:18:21 PM EST
Honestly, I can see doing it with two kids, but not with a large dog as well.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Which brings on the (entirely serious) question by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #69 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 05:03:50 PM EST
So it'd be a fairly easy fit for a 2 metre kayak in the boot, then?

Depends by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #71 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 05:38:03 PM EST
You'd probably have a foot sticking out the back.  I cheated a little in that the top six inches was sticking out the rear door, which had to be tied down.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Kayaks fit on lots of cars by R343L (2.00 / 0) #77 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 10:35:50 PM EST
I had a coworker that fitted a mount in the center of an itty bitty convertible ... for a sea kayak. You know - the ones that are well more than two meters long.

on top, not in. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #79 Wed Apr 06, 2011 at 02:03:13 AM EST
if you want a kayak in your vehicle, you want a foldable one like mine.

Oh, definitely on top if it's yours by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #80 Wed Apr 06, 2011 at 06:01:00 AM EST
As it'd be a club kayak and a car club car, I don't really have much choice for roof fittings. I'll be cadging lifts off other people should I be going on expeditions. Or using a van.

Where are you getting your kids? by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:43:37 PM EST
A three year old should have no trouble climbing into an SUV. Or for that matter anything else you don't want them climbing.

My kids carry stuff by marvin (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:48:20 PM EST
Is it monkeys that will grab an item inside a jar, refuse to let go, and consequently end up with their fist trapped inside the jar? My kids are like that. They usually hit the van with one hand full (school bag, whatever), and frequently with both hands full.

I've given up hope of them learning to put things down for a second (or to pick it up again afterwards), or to learn the benefits of making a second trip.

We went hybrid by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #25 Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 02:27:49 PM EST
When we needed more car than the pickup, we got a hybrid Mariner (Escape is pretty much the same thing). Ford bought the first generation hybrid tech from Toyota, and we've found it to be pretty robust (160K miles on the 1st generation Prius, and going strong). We get about 35 mpg in the SUV. K just graduated out of a booster, but we were able to get two car seats (one middle, one on side) and an adult in the back with no problem. The ride is pretty good, too, and Clock will fit.

They have used hybrids on the market. They cost more up front, and I'm not sure if the math totally works with respect to gas prices, but our motivation was as much lower emissions as fuel economy.

Oh, and I remember that feeling of missing my husband, even though I saw him every day. It got better.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

When shopping for my mommymobile by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #51 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 01:05:21 AM EST
I accepted that my short commute would get me shit gas mileage no matter what we got, and I ended up with a used Nissan Murano. I love that car. Plenty of room for adults, the backseat can hold two adults and a car seat fairly comfortably (not sure if someone would fit back there with two rear facing seats, though).

I have a huge list of all the things I love about it. Topping my list is the fact that with all the things that are adjustable, I could still comfortably drive when 9 months pregnant.
---------

As Technician said by Phage (2.00 / 0) #52 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 06:31:42 AM EST
Look at the KIA / Hyundai 7-seaters.
I've had two KIAs, the Sedona family van thing, and a hatch. They are extremely reliable and come with very long warrantys.

My Sedona was a 3.5l V6 manual and handled quite well. Dual air zones and all mod cons, one of the best family cars I've ever had.

The interior is mostly plastic, but it's quality plastic.

on fatigue | 81 comments (81 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback