Print Story World Expires on May 21, 2011
By purr (Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:01:27 PM EST) (all tags)
Yep. That's right, folks. Judgement day will soon be upon us according to Camping.

My question for Camping is "will judgement day commence May 21 by eastern hemisphere schedule or approximate 12 hours later by western hemisphere's timeline?"

It's an important question. I can do a lot in half a day. I don't want to be in bed sleeping when the world ends.

Poll included. check it out

Of course I have a busy schedule on May 21st. I have a Community Yard Sale/Bake Sale I am coordinating for that day.  We are raising money for the Swim Team to get new benches.  Now if the world ends I will no longer have my current money problems. That would definitely be a load off my shoulders. Trying to think positively here.  However I was looking forward to the long awaited Transformer 3 movie and the 2nd part of the last Harry Potter movie.  Seems a shame not to see how those two movies turned out. I would definitely be pissed off if I don't get to read "River Marked" by Patricia Briggs. The book has been out since March when I was number 61 in que at Library for the book. Now I am at the number 12 position. So freaking close. I wish my daughter was old enough to volunteer at our library this summer. She has to be 13 years old before she can volunteer. I think she would really enjoy being a volunteer there. Now I am just rambling, but it is the way of my thought process, so I decided to share it. Aren't you lucky. my tummy doesn't feel good. Must be something I ate. My husband cooked last night that could be it. He did say he made up his own recipe for meatloaf. I have no clue what he put in it and I don't think I want to know. It tasted ok, but not great. He did tell me he put brown sugar in the red sauce on top. Was not crazy for all that sweetness. We still have 4 hard boiled Easter eggs to eat. I think I am going to make tuna salad with2 of them. Maybe some devil egg with the other two. My daughter got caught cheating on a math test, but not the way it sounds. She was helping another student do his test because she had finished hers. She's a helper and wanted to help the other student. She was trying to talk him through the process (in whispers) but he really didn't understand what she was telling him. They got busted and she got 5 points deducted from her test. She still got an "A" for her grade on the test which I was happy about. I explained to my 10 year old that she is ONLY responsible for her completing her own test. I also told her that she was not helping him if he could not figure out the answers. I told her that by his grade on the test would let the teacher know what the student did or did not understand of the math they were doing. I think she understood me. My husband fussed at me for not writing. I usually have a short story or thoughts/diary journal going. I stop for writing for short peroids of time and then pick them back up. But I haven't done that in a long time. And I usually hand write (not type) the stuff out. I guess that is why I am posting stuff here since I am not doing it the other way. I have been thinking of doing a short story here, but I am not use to letting people read my stuff.  My husband sometimes finds my stuff and he will read it if he finds it, but I am never really comfortable about it.  So I am hemming and hawing about writing it here among strangers. Well I won't bore you with more of my dysfunctioning, seemingly random thoughts. Adios
< Weekends are no longer relaxing | Optically thick >
World Expires on May 21, 2011 | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hello whitespace by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:04:52 PM EST
Now take a good look at your keyboard.  Near the right hand side (on a laptop) or just right of center (on a full sized keyboard) there's a really big key that says Enter, Return and/or has an arrow that points down and left.  It's your friend.

I was trying to make a point about the running of by purr (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:15:40 PM EST
my thoughts but I see that I missed making that point entirely.

Was it really so hard to read without spacing? looking for feedback
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
Truth be told by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:25:01 PM EST
I quit reading pretty early in because it's difficult to read, especially on a wider monitor.

thanks by purr (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:53:03 PM EST
i appreciate the information
Blocks of text and line length by Alan Crowe (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:39:47 PM EST
Using a big monitor can result in lines 120 characters long. At the end of the line the readers eye has to jump back and down one. With normal typeset text lines are only about 60 characters long so the human eye copes. With lines 120 characters lone the human eye depends on frequent paragraph breaks to help it get back to the left margin without losing the place.

One technique I use on big blocks of text is to resize my browser window to be half as wide. The text reflows and is much easier to read. On some webpages this doesn't work. I think it is due to the page being formatted with tables and also having the size of the tables given explicitly so they don't reflow to suit the narrower window. When I encounter this I usually just give up. I find big blocks of text with long line lengths terribly hard to read.

I think there is another issue with the vertical spacing of lines. I think computer fonts usually have the lines too close together and that this goes back to the days of small VDU's when there was room for only 25 lines of text. That is not really enough so designers of computer fonts got into the habit of squeezing things vertically. This makes an out-of-focus wall of text a uniform gray instead of being horizontal stripes. My guess is that this also makes big blocks of text hard on the eyes. But I don't know much about the history of typography and might be talking out of my arse here.

Cool by purr (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 12:54:19 PM EST
This is something I didn't know.
YES by gzt (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 01:15:57 PM EST
Seriously.

i"ll try NOT to do it again. by purr (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 06:41:01 PM EST

My wife by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 03:27:01 PM EST
Would be distressed to find the world ending on her birthday!

One last hurrah by purr (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 06:39:47 PM EST
Her party would end with a great big bang not a fizzle.

Thinking positively about the end of the world.

(vv)
  |                   Tulip
\ | /
 \|/
Well that's inconvenient by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun May 01, 2011 at 12:01:00 PM EST
My plan is to have an end of the world party on December 21, 2012.

---------------