Print Story A nearly perfect moment
By toxicfur (Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 08:55:45 PM EST) (all tags)
At 3:30 this morning.

I'm having a rough spring, allergy-wise. My sinuses are draining into my throat and down into my chest. I'm taking allergy medication, which helps with the allergy symptoms, but until I get used to it, it makes me sleepy and spacy during the day and gives me weird, disturbing dreams at night.

Last night, I went to bed rather early, and slept restlessly. I had unpleasant dreams, and I remember almost none of them. Broken things, unhappy things. Things that made me cringe and roll over uncomfortably in my sleep.

Finally, at 3:30 this morning, I forced myself awake. I walked around, got some water, put on my hoodie and went onto the back porch for a cigarette and to finish clearing the unpleasantness from my brain.

It was perfectly still in my neighborhood at 3:30 this morning. Dark, a little foggy. And quiet. As quiet as I've ever heard this city. No traffic noise, no kids, no cyclists, no dogs barking. Utter, utter quiet.

Except for one bird, singing. This bird sang the variations on the same four notes, purely and clearly. The bird sang to me as I exhaled smoke and stress and all the unpleasantness of my sleep. His song filled the early-morning world as if he was the only living being in the world.

Surreal and so perfectly lovely it was almost painful. And, for a moment at 3:30am, I was nearly overwhelmed with the beauty of the world.

< Free commodities. | Happy Anonimouse day >
A nearly perfect moment | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Those moments by technician (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 08:58:04 PM EST
were fuel for me for a very long time. That 3:30am still. The way the world just sits.

My favorite time of morning.

Spectacular misreadings by ni (4.00 / 5) #3 Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 09:41:07 PM EST
Those moments were fuel for me for a very long time. That 3:30am still. The way the world's just tits.

Testify, brother.

I'm sure one bird is pleasant by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 09:40:06 PM EST
but down here, because it got warm again, I now suffer from a freaking cacophony of birds outside my window.

Every. Single. Night.

From about 2am on... WTF.

The cacaphony here doesn't start until 5 by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 09:52:32 PM EST
Right about the time the cat starts thinking it's time for his breakfast. Also, fortunately, the flock of sparrows that makes most of the noise lives on the other side of the house from my bedroom.
We have one robin by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Apr 27, 2011 at 01:05:13 AM EST
that we've dubbed "Loud MF" who likes to sing at the top of his little birdy lungs starting at about 4:30am...in the tree outside the bedroom window.
---------
I've an owl by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 09:58:30 PM EST
and if the number of rabbits I've seen this spring is any indication, that owls gonna have big owlets.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
4.10 AM by ReboundRabbit (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Apr 27, 2011 at 07:23:36 AM EST
On time. One bird, then two then three... At 5 you almost can't hear them anymore. The traffic got just to loud.

Optional activity: Standing around and enjoying life. -- Jan Gehl (Architect)

I love my quiet by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Apr 27, 2011 at 09:44:14 AM EST
mornings before the world starts up. This morning there was thick fog which always makes one feel alone as they drive along, a feeling I relish.
*twinkle*twinkle*

3-ish am by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Apr 27, 2011 at 10:40:11 AM EST
is feeding time!!  fortunately, i've gotten "slacker nursing" down to an art, so i cram a boob in her mouth and go back to sleep (hoping i don't wake up covered in milk because i didn't stay away to put things away)

A nearly perfect moment | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback