Print Story Notes from a Small Island
Misc.
By anonimouse (Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 01:52:58 AM EST) (all tags)
Blurb here

Well, I thought we deported criminals to Australia. I never imagined the day would come when they would send them to us.

How many Phineas and Ferb episodes are there?

Back to Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated.....

< stuff, things, etc | Weekend Review >
Notes from a Small Island | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Pffft by Phage (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 04:01:50 AM EST
Far more serious.

Aren't injuries part of growing up? by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 08:48:07 AM EST
Western civilization is becoming a nation of wimps.  We're so risk adverse and afraid of challenging ourselves because something bad might happen (and someone else has to be to blame).

Yup by Phage (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 09:21:20 AM EST
Last Autmn, I was out with a friend collecting firewood in the local woods (He is contracted to manage them for the local govt.) and we were joined by a group of kids on a field trip. Probably about 30 8 year-olds.

Naturally there were running around like crazy trying to find all of the bugs and similar on their check lists, throwing goosegrass, pine cones and stuff at each other, and generally having a great day out.

Then.....

Their teacher called them all to stop, sit down and fill out a risk assesment form. I didn't know whether to be appalled or terrified.

Meh by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 09:34:30 AM EST
Scars heal, bones mend, the character lasts a lifetime.  (I'm also better at sensing the weather than the local meteorologists.)

Exactly by Phage (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 09:42:26 AM EST
What was concerning was that filling in a risk assessment form was considered an acceptable occupation for an 8 year-old

Well, sadly by kwsNI (4.00 / 3) #7 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 09:47:42 AM EST
It's preparing them for life as a grown-up.

False choice by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 11:36:26 AM EST
You can be, and should have been, both.  I weep for the future.

Sadly by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 05:54:37 AM EST
Suing the crap out of the school because little Johnny fell over is the modern tradition. If you don't fill in a risk assessment and something goes wrong, you're fucked when it comes to court.

It even comes down to things like cycling time trials. The guy running our Open 25 on Sunday had to go out and do a risk assessment of the course - despite the fact that it's adults riding on their own on normal public roads.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Don't even get me started by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 08:32:18 AM EST
Litigation and the disappearance of accidents and personal responsibility makes my blood pressure go up fast.

You should sue [n/t] by Herring (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 09:17:20 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
What? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 10:37:25 AM EST
It was banned everywhere I went to school. Surely they're not enforcing the ban.

Seriously, it is better played on grass. No need for everyone to come in after break with gravel rash.

I thought they sent them to Arizona? by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 08:46:16 AM EST
;-)

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

No no by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 09:52:04 AM EST
That's Mexico.  And we refer to them as landscapers.

I will come to landscape your garden one day by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 10:16:10 AM EST
I love landscaping gardens.

I love Phineas and Freb! by purr (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Apr 19, 2011 at 10:56:32 PM EST
I miss them since we had to turn off the DirecTV.
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
Notes from a Small Island | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback