Print Story This is why I love The Guardian
Politics
By jump the ladder (Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 04:20:25 PM EST) (all tags)
Short summary: Saif Gadaffi seemed like a jolly decent bloke when I met him for cocktails at the London School Of Economics and he's only a murdering psychopath out of misplaced loyalty to his dad. Next week is how Hermann Goering was a moderating influence on Hitler and Pol Pot's radical green vision for Cambodia.

Poll: Saif Gadaffi, future democratic leader of Libya?

< I am the monarch of the sea. | quick sketch of a proof >
This is why I love The Guardian | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (4.00 / 3) #1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 06:01:00 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 06:23:30 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

Hah by Scrymarch (4.00 / 3) #3 Wed Apr 13, 2011 at 07:51:18 PM EST
Maybe they could get Chomsky to write that Cambodia op-ed.

Iambic Web Certified

I lulled by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 14, 2011 at 06:51:50 AM EST
Or lolzed. Or did whatever the cool kids are doing this week.

I think what we really need is another explanation about how Trajan's genocide was a world-building event from which we can all learn, but what do I know? Did Russia get into space without Stalin?

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Pol Pot's radical green vision for Cambodia by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 14, 2011 at 09:25:20 AM EST
I want to read that op-ed.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Ah, those monsters. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 05:56:57 PM EST
One thing most people seem to forget is how personable and good mannered those people that will commit atrocities can be.

The other day I read an article about one chap that won gold medal in the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games as part of the Indian hockey team (a legendary team, they beat Germany easily in the final).

Although Der Fuhrer left the match in anger (his superior Aryans made look way below average by a team of mostly dark skinned guys) this player commented how they were treated with impeccable manners by the likes of Hitler, Goering and Goebbels during a reception to the victors. One of them went as far as to offer the interviewee German nationality to play for the Reich's team.

I may have some of the details wrong, but the gist is correct.

By most accounts it seems like Hitler could be a very charming man when in social settings....

This is why I love The Guardian | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback