Print Story Holiday diary part 2
By spiralx (Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 10:59:08 AM EST) egypt, holiday (all tags)
Plus the weekend, which wasn't really very exciting at all.

Poll: live music?

The last part of my holiday...

Saturday

Mostly lounging by the pool for the most part of the day; the most novel thing was I actually made it up before breakfast to go and have a quick swim in the heated pool with Rachel while Johanna did her morning yoga. Chatted to an English guy in the pool who's an engineer with the UN and has been living in Egypt for 18 years, all very pleasant up until he started going on about how the UK had gone to the dogs due to all the benefits that foreigners were getting, at which point I moved away as quickly as possible...

That afternoon Rachel and I went quad-biking in the desert, which I'd done before and found a lot easier going the second time around, and after a shaky start Rachel got into as well. Dusty and noisy, but lots of fun, especially in our small group which lacked any of the wannabe race-car drivers I remembered from last time.

In the evening, playing cards and drinking at the pool bar, ended up getting rather pissed with Rachel and staggering back to our apartments.

Sunday

Another very lazy day of pool-side action. Rachel and Elaine decided to go on the night-time walk up Mt Sinai to see the sunrise from the top; Johanna and I chickened out and stayed at the hotel when they left at 8pm, had drinks, played a few games of cards and got an early night.

Monday

Woke up very refreshed - woo zopiclone! Nasty taste in mouth for most of the morning - boo zopiclone! More doing very little by a pool, Rachel and Elaine turned up at about 2pm back from their trek, we got them drinks from the bar and they told us all about spending 5 hours in the night climbing to the top of a 7,500 foot mountain in the cold and rain, waiting for the sunrise and them climbing down again.

They said it was worth doing, Johanna and I preferred our good night's sleep, morning by the pool, and looking at the photos on Facebook :)

Tuesday

We were going to go to a water park, but various combinations of laziness and brokeness meant we didn't. Another day by the pool.

Wednesday

Leaving day, boo! But the flight wasn't till early evening, so apart from packing and checking out at midday, we got to spend another day by the pool (all inclusive) until our lift to the airport just after 4pm. Win :)

No excitements on the way home. It was nice to be able to smoke in Sharm airport though, so we had a final drink while I chain-smoked in the K Lounge, which we all found amusing. The flight was ok, took slightly less time than expected and getting out through Gatwick was quick, so after saying goodbye to Johanna and Elaine at the airport Rachel and I got the train back to London Bridge, caught the train towards our respectives houses and separated at Lewisham, from where I got a cab back to mine.

Much sleeping Thursday, along with unpacking, washing etc. Friday, mostly vegging as well, with a few lines of ketamine one of my housemates bought back home from his night out. Saturday I vaguely had a look for somewhere to live for myself and Danny, then almost went out but didn't. Sunday, nothing.

I went back to work on Monday and was pleasantly suprised to only find 7 new Mantis tickets started while I was away; far less than the two-dozen I'd predicted in my last diary. So far it's been a quiet week which is good; tonight I'm going to a venue in town for a combination of birthday drinks and gig for my friend and the folk/funk/rock band her and her boyfriend are in, which should be fun and nice to catch up with friends I've not seen in a while.
< Finally | lovely day >
Holiday diary part 2 | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Zopiclone by ni (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 11:05:16 AM EST
Like gargling coins.

Delicious, delicious coins.

I also like the brand name by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 11:15:18 AM EST
Hypnor! Sounds like a super-hero :)

I like live music by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 11:21:38 AM EST
However, my loathing of crowds is stronger, so I've been to one live show, which we quite enjoyed due to the small crowd.

Easy solution by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 11:24:07 AM EST
Find unpopular bands and go and see them. Should be easy enough.

That's basically what we did by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 11:37:45 AM EST
We saw Jo Dee Messina, and while she may be big in Nashville, there aren't a lot of country fans in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.  Coupled with it being a little-known venue (we found out about the show by accident), it was a tolerable crowd.

The other solution is to be bloody rich and pay for private concerts, but there's not much chance of that.

Well... by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 12:26:22 PM EST
I hear there's an upcoming opening in Libya...

Agreed by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 01:19:29 PM EST
If there's reserved seating, I'm much likelier to see someone perform.  Not a big fan of general admission and fighting the crowds for a decent seat.

Reserved seating, for sure by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 10:31:53 AM EST
The little hall where Jo Dee played had reserved seating.  I doubt I'd bother with general admission.

One reason I miss Dayton, Ohio by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 06:37:26 PM EST
I grew up going to local venues like Canal Street Tavern where you could see really great bands just before they made it big. It was a small venue and, outside of events like their annual battle of the bands where they packed the small pub to capacity, there was generally nothing approaching a "crowd."

I've yet to find anything comprable in any other city.

Cicero, The Republic
Then you haven't tried very hard. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 08:12:19 PM EST

And I don't live in Seattle by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 05:30:04 AM EST
I double dog dare you to find anything close to Canal Street Tavern in Cincinati.

Cicero, The Republic
Never been there, but by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 08:49:19 AM EST
my friend's band recently played a gig in Centralia, WA. I doubt you've been there, but it's about 80 miles from Seattle and pretty desolate. You can find venues and appreciative crowds just about anywhere, if you try hard enough.

Penn's Peak. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Apr 02, 2011 at 12:05:28 AM EST
Crocodile Rock.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
We have by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 11:07:47 AM EST
The Gramophone here in St. Louis, MO that I would say seems similar to the tavern you mentioned. It's an intimate venue, has bar tables, a small lounge area by the entrance with couches and such. It has a small dance area in front of the band, but most people just sit at the tables. They also have a wide array of musical genres, so there's always something new.

(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 05:38:17 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

O RLY? by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 09:11:54 PM EST
One of my friends is just starting her gigging career, having started about six months after having her first child.

(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 03:55:11 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

Ah by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 31, 2011 at 04:29:29 AM EST
Yes, that does help I imagine.

Does a piano trio.... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 11:01:30 AM EST
... playing Beethoven and Mozart count as a band?

I'd say so by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Apr 01, 2011 at 11:35:20 AM EST
In the sense of "musicians playing live" I was thinking of.

Holiday diary part 2 | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback