Print Story forget the baby
By StackyMcRacky (Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:18:04 PM EST) (all tags)
THERE'S A NEW iPAD ON THE WAY!

37 weeks, 80% effaced, starting to dilate (not yet 1cm on Tuesday).  It's exciting, I never got this far with The Dude!

Toadette is getting into position sometimes.  It feels...awkward.  Hard to walk because there's all this bulky weight down low in the pelvis.

I'm having blood pressure issues again.  Tuesday it was 140/96 at the doc's office.  They sent me to the hospital for observation, where it dropped to 120/80 and stayed there for hours.  All blood and pee tests came back "perfect," so there's no medical-y problem.  I haven't had a chance to talk to the doc about it yet, but possible reasons she threw out (before I went to the hosp) were the Heparin and the extreme pain I experience from walking.  I'm very concerned, as high blood pressure means no chance of a VBAC.  Random internet people say a good Chiropractor can help with the pain, but finding a good one and getting an appointment and finding child care all sounds like a TON of work I don't have energy for.  But if it's that vs. c-section, then maybe I need to find a way.

Also on Tuesday, I woke up not feeling sick (cold/flu) for the first time in 6 weeks.  HOORAY!  Since I'm not coughing any more, Pain #2 is starting heal!!  Now I'm just left with regular Pain #1.  See chiro mention above.

We called a maid service to deep clean the house last week.  2 women took 4 hours to do it.  I'm really embarrassed at the state the house was in, but it's CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN now!  Well, we need to do a quick sweep/vac/mop/dust, but the true filth is gone.  The house hasn't been this clean since June!

I was feeling depressed today, so I ran to REI.  Gear-whoring always makes me feel better!  I picked up 3 pair of kids trail pants (more than 50% off), 2 for Toadette and 1 for The Dude when he grows out of his current pair.  I heart trail pants, they're so sturdy and they dry quickly!  Very important when you have little people who are attracted to puddles!  They also had the kids camp chairs on clearance, only $11 down from $25.  I picked up one for Toadette.  It cost the same as the crappy ones from gas stations, but the quality is on a whole different level.  Can you tell I'm ready to get outside and camp/hike again?

In other outdoor news, I learned that Big Agnes has come out with a 4-man tent that only weighs 5 lbs 10 oz!  clock won't backpack until everybody is out of diapers (another 3 years!), so no need to buy it now.  The point is gear companies are finally understanding that families like to backpack, and they are making gear accordingly.  My future is filled with nothing but good times!!

Yesterday I scheduled a final payment for our small mortgage.  Readers may (not) remember that I put no money down on my house and got an 80/20 mortgage in order to avoid PMI.  I'm really stoked, this frees up a chunk o' change in the budget (which will now go towards paying off clock's student loans) and we should have approximately 30-40% equity in the house.  This, in turn, means when we go to buy a new house, we shouldn't have to cough up any cash at closing.  Good times!

The bad housing news is they have started building new houses again in my area.  This is bad, because it means our house will have to compete with new construction.  No good!

I read the first Sword of Truth book last week, and many HuSiites have warned me to not read any further in the series.  First, I can't because they only have books 1 and 11 on eBook.  Mostly, I'm very upset to hear it because I really REALLY liked the book and the characters.  I haven't found many books where the author really goes there when it comes to bad stuff.  Terry Goodkind didn't imply things, he flat out told you.  Made for a good read.

Wait, wait, wait.  Hurry up and wait.  I WANT THIS BABY OUT NOW!

< Ask HuSi: Orbital Mechanics | Jog On, Kitties! >
forget the baby | 52 comments (52 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm so sorry about Goodkind by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:26:04 PM EST
The first sword of truth was excellent, I liked it a lot.

But the longer you were in the series, the more depressing it got and the clearer it became he used a shit-ton from Robert Jordan. (albeit with a much less plodding pacing)

I was super pissed off about that series.  It started SO good and got so SHIT so quickly that I never even got past about the fourth book.  It was a bad scene.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
there's that by R343L (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:39:21 PM EST
And then there is the repetitive rape, brutality and other horribleness described repetitively and in detail which doesn't really add anything to the story. That and the comic book interpretation of Rand (yes, that's possible!) later in the series.

The borrowing from Jordan is the least of the problems with the later Sword of Truth books.

cry by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:51:57 PM EST
I had such high hopes!!  And I can't ignore what you're saying, because pretty much everybody (even online reviews!) say the exact same thing.

I agree with this by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:22:12 PM EST
but the thing is...i still liked it. I kept thinking "same story, different characters" pretty much the whole time, but I still enjoyed reading it.
---------
Definitely by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 08:25:59 PM EST
Easy to read schlock

Easy is good by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 09:25:23 PM EST
Thinking is not my forte right now

Easy to read schlock ? by Phage (4.00 / 1) #30 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 07:48:00 AM EST
already on my list! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #32 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 09:38:59 AM EST

Maybe by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 09:24:28 PM EST
I should read other books in the series over $x years instead of a single sitting.  That way I won't get bored.

when I read them by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 12:09:25 AM EST
I read one after another. There were times when I didn't pick it up for a few weeks because I didn't feel like reading them (I wasn't necessarily bored, just...not interested) but I'm glad I picked them back up, because a few chapters later it went back to not being able to put them down.

word of warning, though. If you read and like the books, don't watch the TV series. It's...not right.

As for reading over X years...I started re-reading Wheel of Time after I got the (then) newest book for Christmas LAST year. This Christmas I got the (now) newest, so I've been working on this for over a year and I've got one more book to re-read before I get to the two new ones I haven't read yet. Having a baby really cuts into your reading time...
---------

already seen the TV series by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 09:42:09 AM EST
it's how I was introduced to the books.

I liked the TV show, but in the same way I like Starship Troopers the book and ST: the movie.  Two totally different entities.  I thought they did a great job of keeping some core elements of the book, while making it safe for wide-audience TV.  You can't beat New Zealand based, Sam Raimi fantacrap TV shows.

so did we all. by aphrael (4.00 / 2) #28 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:17:39 AM EST
when wizards first rule came out, it was amazing. it was bright and shiny and new and exciting and really brought a moribund, decrepit genre of fiction back from the grave. it was unquestionably the best thing since eye of the world - and, since i hadn't liked robert jordan that much, for me it was the best thing in high fantasy since tolkien.

and then the second book came out and it all came crashing down.

you know that horribly unhappy feeling that came after reading xenocide?

this was worse. way, way, way worse.

trail pants by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:43:02 PM EST
I had to google that.

The recession must be over if they're building again.

pants for the trail? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 03:50:41 PM EST
perhaps i should have said "ripstop nylon hiking pants"

either the recession is over OR the original builders dumped the development for pennies on the dollar, and a new builder came in and thought to make a magical profit without doing real research.

that's what I figured pants wise by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:31:40 PM EST

The latter by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:53:29 PM EST
At least, that's what's true around here.

My brother works for a builder by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:12:24 PM EST
and that's what they are doing up here...buying distressed half finished developments and putting (some)what cheaper housing that will move.

The development my brother moved from was his company's but only sold 20 or so $500k colonials. The rest of the lots wouldn't move (mostly because the development was too far out in the country for a house of that pricing in this economy) so instead of building different housing by the same builder, my brother's employer just sold it off to another cheaper builder.

My brother knew of the plan and because SiL wanted to move closer to where I live anyway, that's why they sold the house (with a $100K loss, natch, even before the crappier housing would be built down the street). His former neighbors are pretty much screwed.

what's a deep clean entail ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:03:53 PM EST
like, they'll wipe all the walls down too ? Or scrub the baseboard ? (or even wash winders inside/outside, like take screens off etc ?)

yes and yes by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:43:43 PM EST
walls, baseboards, light fixtures, ceiling fans, move furniture, kitchen cabinets, etc.  they don't do outside stuff, but they scrubbed the heck out of the windows and mini blinds.  they even scrubbed out the dog's dish and bowl!

it was totally worth it, just to get the house reset to something I can deal with.

SO MUCH ENVY by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:40:48 AM EST
I would love a deep cleaned apartment.

Also, apparently it's fairly common for everyone in an expanding household to catch the latest bug and once everyone's over it they're immune for the immediate bit where the newborn arrives. Hope it goes well and quickly.

Generally, follow-on babbys arrive sooner. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:48:51 PM EST
I suspect you already knew that though.

Who makes that tent? by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 04:55:17 PM EST
I might be very pleased that I didn't buy that tent last week...

Big Agnes by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 05:07:58 PM EST
It's one of their new ones, just got an Editor's Choice from Backpacker.  It's pricey, but I would get it because of the weight!  I think it also has a fast pack floor and rain fly set up for less weight!

I was digging their two person tents by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 05:49:40 PM EST
but uh, three hundred fiddy bucks.

light 2 man tents by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:45:27 PM EST
are everywhere.  bigger stuff is really difficult to come by.  they're really proud of this particular tent, BUT when you have a family it's a great deal just from the weight perspective.  5 lbs 10 oz!  our 4-season 2 man tent weighs much more than that!

actually, I just ordered one by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:56:57 PM EST
This guy. Weight I don't care that much about but size is important. This one packs down to 6x15 which is pretty small and will fit in my panniers. Now I have to dump my 3 person tent on ebay.

Copper Spur UL 4 by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:49:39 PM EST
but I just noticed they have the Fly Creek UL 4 that weighs only 4 lbs 9 oz!!!!!  it only has 1 door and 1 vestibule, and has a lower peak height.  however, it's $100 less than the Copper Spur.

Yeah by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 01:22:03 AM EST
My wife is falling in lurve with the Fly Creek UL4. We have camping buddies - the couple that are in most of our hiking pictures with us - and she's seriously talking to them on the phone about splitting the cost based just on the specs and the photo.

hee hee hee by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 09:47:19 AM EST
I KNEW you'd be interested in my tent news!

Buy from REI, take it home and set it up and see if you like it!  THEN REPORT BACK!  :)

Yay by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 05:54:28 PM EST
to one less pain! Yay to making it this far! Yay to a clean house! Yay that time can't be stopped so it will be time for her to come out soon.

Also, only 5lbs that tent? I am going to have to take a serious look for that, our tent is way to heavy for hiking but now that the kids are such super hikers I want to add the camping treks to. Of course when they four people do they actually mean four real people? Or like, four sardine people? At any rate, good info, time to visit Mountain Equipment Co-op and see what new and exciting tent technology they have going on.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Linky... by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:54:05 PM EST
Big Agnes.  The one I was talking about is the Copper Spur, but I see that the Fly Creek is also 4-man and only 4lbs 9oz!  It only has 1 door and vestibule, but it's $100 less.  The site gives the dimensions, so you could mark it out on the floor and see what kind of people it fits.  Of course, with little people you get slightly more room until they're fully grown!

Looking on the site, it says the Copper Spur is 96in/244cm wide!!  NICE! (for a backpacking tent, of course).

We must snuggle really well by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #38 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:14:05 PM EST
I generally find that many 3-man tents hold all four of us comfortably. For sleeping, anyway, but we're campers that don't get in the tent until about 30 seconds before losing consciousness. That might make a difference.

Last year we did some car camping with a huge cabin tent and air mattresses. We ended up sleeping four adults on one queen air mattress and the toddlers on a twin mattress because one of the air mattresses imploded. No trouble.

But perhaps we're weird.

I used to think theses stories were made up, by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #39 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:19:23 PM EST
until it happened to me. I was camping in a large park in the NorthWest of the US...

Not exactly by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:21:37 PM EST
With toddlers?! Pervert.

You exhaust them hiking around by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #41 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:35:33 PM EST

Nonsense! by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #43 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:47:10 PM EST
They exhaust use hiking around. You're a parent, you know how this works.

Leave the kids at home for those camping trips.

Maybe I just don't like children, by ni (2.00 / 0) #49 Sat Mar 05, 2011 at 11:47:59 AM EST
but in my experience toddlers exhaust their use merely existing.

Not really by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #50 Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 01:29:56 AM EST
A normal day at home is certainly busy, but far from exhausting.

We have the dog by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #42 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:45:36 PM EST
who isn't tiny and clock is an oaf (he's too big across for all sleeping pads we've ever seen).  We're pretty cramped in our 3-man tent with all 4 of us.  Plus, Texas is full. of. bugs. so after a point we have to go into the tent or risk being chewed to bits.  On our honeymoon we fled to the tent as soon as we finished eating, so we could escape the bugs.  If we didn't have the dog then 2 kids+2 adults might fit in a tent.  The Dude is a thrashy sleeper as well, and I don't like being kicked and hit in the face all night long.  If I could just throw more money at the problem and not get hit all night long, I totally will.  If I had no money to throw, then I'd suck it up and deal with it.

We got the LOG CABIN 3000 last summer for car camping partially because of the space for little people to play in during bad weather, also because clock's brother said he's totally bored of coming to visit us and hanging around the house, he wants to go camping when he flies down here.

But the one tent weighs as much as our 3 man, and the other only a pound more.....why not have a little luxury?  Of course, this is all a big "in the future" for us.  Crap, the earliest we'll be able to camp post-baby will be late September (due to the heat).

It was a thundering rainy night about 4 years ago by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #44 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:49:16 PM EST
that convinced me a "6 person" dome tent wasn't fit for two adults, two kids and a 60 pound frightened dog.

We got the BLIMP HANGAR 2000, "8 people" with a power port which is nice and spacious.

Yes but by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #46 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 04:59:37 PM EST
Does it come with the helicopter to drop it off at the campsite? I'm not carrying that thing...

How out of shape are you? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #47 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 05:32:30 PM EST
It's 10 pounds, you carry it 20 feet from the car to the site.

10 pounds?! by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #48 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 07:33:05 PM EST
Dear God, I'm not carrying that 20 miles to the site!

(I fixed your typo.)

what 8 man tent do you have by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #51 Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 10:29:52 AM EST
that's only 10 lbs?  most tents that size tend to be in the 20 lb range!

Maybe it's 20 pounds by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #52 Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 10:54:05 AM EST
We got it through sportsmansguide, with brand names removed. It's red and grey, and certainly not a backpacking tent, but it's nice for minivan camping.

From the REI reviews by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #45 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 02:50:07 PM EST
You aren't going to be able to use the smallest one, there's a review with a guy who's 6'1" commenting that it's a little small for his family of four. The Copper Spur looks promising, though.

sword of truth on ebook by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 07:11:48 PM EST
download the torrent "the kindle collection".
Big Agnes by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 10:39:27 PM EST
coolest name evar.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
embarrassed at the state the house was in by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 08:41:07 AM EST
Why? You're laid up, got the Dude to look after, and clock is working full time. Who the heck is going to clean?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

not the point! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #35 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 09:48:03 AM EST

my wife is nuts by clock (4.00 / 2) #36 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 10:16:56 AM EST
she is also southern.  QED, etc, IHBT.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

ATTN: Yankeeclock by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #37 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 01:02:40 PM EST
Pronounced "southron," of course.

forget the baby | 52 comments (52 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback