Print Story IT SPEAKS!
By duxup (Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 02:18:47 PM EST) (all tags)
Adorable bath time video!*

*not of duxup

Baby Talk

Video: Talking in the tub.

The little guy is a bit tired in this video, and that actually is why he is doing so well recreating what mommy says.  He focuses more on such things when he is tired.

Otherwise life with the baby has gotten easier.  He now sleeps better, even when he as a cold.  There is the occasional 4am awake for 45 minutes unable to fall asleep now and then but that is nothing compared to the past.  He is a lot less likely to toddle around and look for things to knock over and smash.   Rather he plays appropriately with toys and will stick with some toys for several minutes.

I've even found time after he goes to bed to play a few games now and then and not be worried / killed when he has a bad night of sleep because mostly he is sleeping well.  I'm giving Civ V a try again since they did a nice big patch recently.
< Back from holiday | Safety >
IT SPEAKS! | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Civ V by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 02:31:25 PM EST
I'm debating whether to give it a shot on the weekend.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Not sure by duxup (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 02:52:35 PM EST
If this was last fall when it came out I would say NO WAY unless you want to feel like an alpha tester or something.  It was garbage.  Word has it patches have fixed some of the balance / bugs.   I'm trying to figure out how much as been fixed.

I will say that at its core Civ V has some awesome ideas for Civ such as the one unit per tile, fewer units in the field, an over all happiness and economy and some streamlined ideas.   So far I'd say it is more playable than it was last fall but I'm not sure to what extent.

____
The biggest difference I've noted by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 03:58:37 PM EST
is that the higher difficulties are pulling off some amazing levels of production. And not ganging up on one player diplomatically has smoothed some edges.

It's getting better, it's actually playable now, but still needs some work.

Yeah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 10:37:21 PM EST
It still needs some work.  Diplomacy is still bizarrely opaque.   I had two buddies both suddenly denounce me for what I've no clue, out of the blue.
____
Yeah by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Mar 26, 2011 at 06:50:19 PM EST
I had a guy with a highly favorable rating (despite coveting my land) break off trade, research and other agreements and declare war on me out of the blue.  Uh, where'd that come from.

Civ 5 just seemed like it had so many good ideas done badly.

That is the sad part by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 10:40:05 AM EST
Civ V had some really cool ideas that kick start some great Civ gameplay  without a lot of the mess you could get in past Civ games.   Unfortunately those ideas were put in a woefully unfinished game.

____
I kind of felt that way about Civ 4 too by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 11:12:06 AM EST
Civ 4 and 5 both made a lot of progress in UI design (if not necessarily development) as well as greatly improving the focus on the good parts of the game and ignoring some of the trivial micromanagement that many people didn't like (granted, some people think that's the best part of Civ).  Neither one was ever really implemented well though.

On thing that completely bothered me in Civ 4 was the lack of consistency in rules for me vs. the pc.  I was allied with civ A & B and trying to go to war with C, but couldn't ask for help from A or B because they were friendly with C.  Ok - makes sense.  However, A&B both keep asking me to go to war against the other, and hate me for refusing to declare war on an ally, until they both declare war on me.

Yar by duxup (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 12:32:16 PM EST
It isn't very interesting diplomacy if everyone doesn't have at least some similar ground rules.  Also in Civ IV the personalities of the Civs were crazy strong.  Spain was always just pissed off, others like India could grow like mad but never threw their weight around when they should have done so to try to win.  Civs Y U MAKE NO SENSE!?
____
oooo new patch? by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 07:47:16 PM EST
Well, now I know what I'm doing (for some of) this weekend.

He's so cute. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 09:39:07 PM EST
He's so big.

I especially love it when he says 'bubbles', 'banana' and 'apple'.

Thank you so much for sharing him. He's such a great pick me up.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Bubbles and banana by duxup (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 10:35:59 PM EST
Those are really the only two words he uses independently and accurately.
____
Sometimes by Phage (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 07:55:37 AM EST
They're all you need.

Cute as! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 06:01:15 PM EST
"Moooooooooo!!!!"

Crazeh haired bebe, though - love it!

IT SPEAKS! | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback