Print Story Back from holiday
By spiralx (Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 12:01:24 PM EST) egypt, sharm, ginger (all tags)
Boo! Team Ginger had an awesome holiday, of which the largest downside was coming home after a mere 7 nights away. Mind you considering it was 8 degrees and raining when we left, the fact that it's now sunny and dry is no small win.

Poll: worst things to happen to you on holiday?

I've been back in the UK for almost 48 hours now, and I'm thanking myself for having the foresight (and enough holiday left) to have taken yesterday and today off of work. I just know that S (the clinical editor/community person for our site) will have at least two-dozen mostly pointless things she's gotten a bee in her bonnet about since I was last at work, and that's best dealt with on a Monday.

Interlude: this fine member of the EDL's fear of "muslamic rayguns"  rant sounds even more ludicrous when said in a helium voice. And I'm still not sure when Iraqi law was instituted in London. Anyone?

Let's try and do a rough day-by-day summary of the holiday.

Tuesday

I had Tuesday off of work in order to a) buy some stuff and b) pack. I was actually pretty good with getting around to the first part, largely because part of the "stuff" was some new books to read on holiday. I've got a ton of non-fiction sitting around here half-read but decided a trip to Forbidden Planet in town was in order for some fiction; I picked up four new paperbacks, which I'll review in a bit.

So far so good, but then I managed to get the wrong train home (well, right for where I live, not where I was going) and had to get another train back to Lewisham, managing to arrive just in time to find out I really need to lose some weight if I want to buy some decent new shirts and thankfully get some new trunks. Oh, and just in time to be done with shopping and leave right at school-leaving time, which is not Lewisham's finest time of day (if there is such a thing), especially not when your bus doesn't arrive for over half an hour. I did get some mild excitement from a couple of groups of people (one with large dog) fronting off on the other side of the road, the police turning up with horses and vans and, well, mostly just blocking the road even more.

Finally home, I proceeded to pack in my typical fashion; I retreived my suitcase from my housemate who'd borrowed it, put it open on my bed, and then added an item or two every half an hour or so, interspersed with faffing around online. It does work in the end though!

Wednesday

Up early for the flight. Trundled down to the station with my suitcase and bag, caught the train to London Bridge, had a smoke outside while waiting for Rachel, and got told off by a copper who pointed out that I was standing in front of a giant no-smoking sign, which I really hadn't noticed lol. Met up with Rachel, caught the train to Gatwick and met up with Johanna and Elaine, the other two members of Team Ginger. We checked in in about five minutes, I went and chain-smoked for another five, then we went through customs and to the bar for breakfast and our first drink of the holiday!

The flight to Sharm is a bit under five hours, and as bad as every other flight. Mostly because I'm a twitchy bugger at the best of times, not small enough to curl up in anyway comfortable (for me or those sitting next to me) and find it hard to sleep anyway. Valium and some stories off of /. I'd saved on my iPhone before taking off made it just about tolerable though.

When we got to Sharm it was a couple of hours after sunset, and 28 degrees. The forecasts had said between 25-28 during the day, but I don't think it was lower than 28 at all, and most days were 30-32 :) Despite the holiday company sending us totally the wrong transfer details, we met the driver straight away and were out of the airport within 15 minutes tops. Another 15 minutes or so, and we arrived at the resort, checked in and were whisked to our apartments by trolley.

We may have had dinner, we may have had drinks, being an all-inclusive holiday these things blur into each other...

Thursday

Breakfast around 9, then deciding which pool to sit by; there are 12 pools in the resort in total, it's a bloody huge maze of blocks of apartments, restaurants, shops, swimming pools, brick towers you could climb to the top, secluded nooks and stuff. In the end it was decided we'd go for the pool with the water slide, and we spent most of the day there in the sun, reading, sitting in the jacuzzi, going down the slide into the (cold!) pool, doing some poi (mostly me) and going and getting our free drinks from the bar at the main pool a couple of minutes away. Oh, and there was lunch as well. We packed up around 5 or so, went back to our rooms to freshen up, get changed, and explore the various channels on the cable TV. In case you were interested we mostly settled on Russian Music Box as our default background choice; it wasn't nearly as hilarious as the Polish music channel Johanna and I had on our last trip to Egypt, but had its moments. And female Russian pop stars are hotter than British ones in my opinion. Anyway.

After that we caught the free minibus to the Old Market part of Sharm, where we wandered around, got hassled by shop-keepers, I got offered chickens for my three wives, my three wives (heh) got upset that I'd only been offered chickens and they were worth at least camels, some genuine fake accessories were bought, and after failing to find anywhere to eat we instead found a chemist, where we discovered that our concept of a prescription translates there to asking nicely.

At this point we decided to head back to the resort by taxi, have dinner there, and then take some valium and go and get drunk. This led to several discoveries - the tequila there tastes like paint-stripper, it's hard to take decent photos after lots of booze and sedatives, and in my case, taking more valium and then a zopiclone before bed leads to sleeping through most of the next day. Oops.

Friday

I slept. A lot. Finally managed to rouse myself to get the bus into Naama Bay (the modern bit of Sharm) with the others, where we found somewhere to have a pizza as I was feeling a little faint due to various issues that should be fairly obvious. After delicious food we then started having a wander, at which point I had a small issue that led to the loss of my second-best pair of underwear. Oops. Again. After that things went much better; Johanna and Elaine found the exact pairs of genuine fake sunglasses they'd been looking for and Rachel found the sort of earrings she'd wanted. As for me, I was content with not having any accidents lol. We found a street bar just next to Pacha and had some very nice (and strong!) cocktails before going back to get on the minibus back to the resort, which was parked outside "The Egyptian Linol Richie Centre", which sold "English fags, cosmetics and accessories". I'm sure Linol gets a cut from every packet of Marlboros.

After a couple of drinks when we got back at the pool bar, we all had a fairly early bedtime.

Ok, I'm going to leave it here I think, as my memory for what happened each day is already failing me... I need to wait until the rest of the photos are up on FB to provide a record lol. But here's a picture of Team Ginger at the bar in Naama Bay:

< I am smiling | IT SPEAKS! >
Back from holiday | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: Lost some crowns by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 12:19:21 PM EST
Not the metal thing that goes on your rulers and such, but a tiny thing covering bad teeth, on two separate trips

Nice FB books, though I don't think condoms should have packaging with sharp pointy things.

IAWTP by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 12:23:03 PM EST
Maybe they're trying to imply "so virile your sperm will defeat any condom"? In which case the condoms seem like a bad investment though.

Torn calf muscle. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 12:28:00 PM EST
I was running full speed and got a cramp. OUCH! Spent the next two months limping.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Stepped on my glasses by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 12:36:35 PM EST
They still worked but I was afraid they were going to fall apart after my makeshift repair for the rest of the trip.

____
WIPO: Got T-Boned in an intersection by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 04:18:40 PM EST

I was 19 and parents decided to drive to Florida for a vacation that year. In the middle of the trip, the minivan decided to have the fuel pump die. This lead to us sitting by the road waiting for the electronics to cool off and reset a few times. The last time it happened, we were close to an exit ramp and my dad decided to make for a parking lot at the end of it. Unfortunately for us, it had just rained, it was near sunset and the parking lot was catty-corner to the exit's end. As my dad pulled out into the intersection a black car with no lights on made a run of the light, plowing right into us.

Luckily no one was hurt from either vehicle but the passenger side doors were now melded to the body of the van. Police blamed the light-runner (despite the turn being slightly illegal) and our insurance covered everything. For the rest of our trip my sister and I exited clown-car style through the back.

Ouch by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 04:50:53 PM EST
I've actually had similar when on holiday with my parents in Portugal years ago, but it was just some idiot pulling out of a side-road without looking to see what was coming. No injuries though, and it was a hire car.

Minor illness by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 05:57:09 PM EST
During which my wife proceeded to yell at me for being selfish for stumbling to the kitcchen to get myself some soup.

Cicero, The Republic
She has a point by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 06:22:11 PM EST
You were being selfish by not allowing her to have the moral and emotional reward of helping you in your moment of need.

By that time, it was 5pm or so ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 06:26:57 PM EST
... and all she had done was play around on Second Life while I lay on the couch.

Cicero, The Republic
Well by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 06:42:29 PM EST
I'm sure if you had have logged in to SL then you'd have found a lovely bowl of soup waiting for you. You don't get that on Usenet you know.

Sure you do by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 06:51:32 PM EST

|  |
|__|

Cicero, The Republic
I see no soup by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 07:40:06 PM EST
Insert existential witticism here

Dude Duuuude by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 08:18:26 PM EST
I expected a flaming red ginger...and got, a blonde. Jesus, I'm depressed.

On the last all inclusive I've been at, it sucked. Not so much for the ex, or the bedbugs, but the food sucked and the drinks were weak. I never thought to to the pharma for some extra help.

(Comment Deleted) by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 08:36:25 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by spiralx

Ok, ok... by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 08:37:21 PM EST
 Is this any better? My hair isn't flaming red, more golden, and it does go lighter in the sun...

This is the fourth all-inclusive holiday I've been on, and this place you could have gone fully self-catered as each apartment had a pretty good kitchen. The food was ok, it's never anything amazing and the choice isn't the widest, but nothing was worse than ok. The beer (4.5%) and wines were good, and depending on which guy was behind the bar, you'd get ice, a double measure of spirits and not much more mixer in a glass each time.

We met a woman (Northern, large, in her 50s) one day who, on the previous day, had had to be dragged out of one of the pools from the pool bar before midday after drinking too much Ouzo - quite impressive given the bar opened at half-past 10!

WIPO: Got married by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #16 Sat Mar 26, 2011 at 03:32:53 PM EST
Bathe the one on the left and have her sent to my chambers.

Rachel? by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 11:41:40 AM EST
You'd have to stand in line I'm afraid, and it's a long line, most of whom are probably prettier than you...

I have at least two kids... by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 01:41:24 PM EST
which means that sometimes, ugly wins the day.

That's true by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 02:12:34 PM EST
But who's winning, you or the mother(s) of your children?

The State. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #20 Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 02:32:28 PM EST
For gaining two new taxpayers.

I applaud your optimism by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #21 Sun Mar 27, 2011 at 03:00:34 PM EST
In the face of the future.

WIPO by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 07:25:26 AM EST
SERIOUS food poisoning from some dodgy prawns on North Sea Ferries. Spine seized up and I couldn't move, recovered enough to get off the boat but couldn't turn my neck and had awful stomach ache for the rest of the holiday. I was young and stupid/badass enough not to go to a doctor or let it get in the way of my week in Amsterdam, I just medicated with Nepalese hash and forgot all about it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Ouch by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 01:49:54 PM EST
I would never act so irresponsibly :)

Lolroflhahahahahahah!! /nt by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 04:23:39 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I had put out of my mind by garlic (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 02:56:04 AM EST
getting food poisoning in china during a national holiday so noone answered the phones when the embassy was called looking for an english speaking doctor. That was bad. Probably not worse than the vacation to cancun where my gf cried most of the time because she thought we were breaking up, no matter what I told her. That required getting her on mood stabilizers when we got back.

better (as in not as bad) by garlic (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 02:58:16 AM EST
was the time I got food poisoning from the British Museum in London, and the nice doctor stuck her finger up my bum to check if it was appendicitis. It wasn't.

Sweet by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 02:46:46 PM EST
You have to pay for that sort of thing a few miles away in town :)

it was lovely by garlic (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 11:53:54 PM EST
That I didn't have to pay any emergency room or other hospital bills.

LOL by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Mar 30, 2011 at 05:30:22 AM EST
I imagine having to sign forms while the nice lady puts her finger up your bottom rather distracts from the experience :)

Wild animals by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 07:50:33 AM EST
In a certain occasion I was camping in Namibia in the desert.

You may infer without much work that there are no toilets in the middle of nowhere, so you do your business behind a bush (or rather a big rock or mound since bushes are in short supply).

This is particularly difficult at night, where your visibility is impaired even with a good torch.

Our guide found next morning signs of the wildlife that had been wandering around the area: hyenas, a leopard and a couple of elephants.

The guide assured us that they would give us a miss, I frankly was not that reassured...

Back from holiday | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback