Print Story productivity
By Merekat (Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:18:06 AM EST) (all tags)
Productivity is a funny thing. I have a sneaking suspicion I would be as productive as I am now if I only worked 4/5 days.

This is because quite a lot of my work depends on other people not 100% assigned to complete stuff so there's a lot of wall time in which I can only do minor stuff while major stuff ticks over. The value of the minor stuff overall is useful but not essential so I could work 4 days out of 5 and be as externally productive as I am now. However, people would think I can't be so they'd object.

Also, no human can spend 8.5 hours a day doing solid work. There's pauses, settling time, thinking over, random connection making - none of which looks like work but all of which enables work at the maximum level of productivity more than randomly stabbing at a keyboard with inconsequentials would, though externally this looks more like work.

I bought new running shoes, getting tired of my foot aching like it is broken every 3 days. They have cushioning. The internet will probably tell me I bought the right shoes and the wrong shoes or that I should wear no shoes. I have lost 2kg, husband has lost 8kg.

I have zits and headaches. Damn hormonal rebalancing due to withdrawl of the chemicals. The human body is a wonderous but also a crap machine. Saw the item about Sherpas on BBC yesterday. Dr. Alice Roberts seems to be going all mainstream and is less hot as a consequence. I guess I would make a crap lesbian.

There are some pretty cool stats and graphs floating around about the irish election. One about the scale of change plus the overall official broadcaster online coverage and what happens with a sore loser in ordering recounts in a 19 count constituency. Add schadenfreude as he tried to foist a shonky e-voting system on the country and lost to a handful of determined nerds.

< Troubleshooting | Live the Sheen Dream: Watch Me Bury You. >
productivity | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Maximum Productivity by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 05:37:40 PM EST
Is about sixty percent for a knowledge worker.   It's how I build my project plans when I'm actually allowed to set a date instead of trying to cram everything into a predetermined date.

---------------
A lot of my working time is spent staring by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 10:52:17 AM EST
When I'm dictating a critique, probably 60-70% of the total time it takes me to produce 4-7 pages of detailed dissection is spent thinking. I'm lucky in that my husband has a very high startle threshold, because I can be quiet for 10-20 minutes, and then suddenly start to talk into my mic. I think I'm very productive, but I also fart around a lot while stuff 'cooks' in the back of my brain, making those connections that don't always come when you're concentrating.

On the subject of running, I prefer to run barefoot, but have upset a hotel manager by taking to the treadmill without shoes. I think my feet are at bigger risk than their treadmills, and I always wipe both of them down when I'm done.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

There are shoes and socks that may work for you by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Mar 05, 2011 at 06:28:26 AM EST
Cool. Thanks (n.t.) by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Mar 05, 2011 at 10:10:30 AM EST

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Do you wipe the entire belt? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 01:24:28 AM EST
That's a lotta wipin'.

just start it running by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 11:34:56 AM EST
Takes less than a minute.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Yes by priestess (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 10:46:29 AM EST
I have worked four day weeks before. I got about the same amount of work done as I do in a five day week.

Only got 4 days wages mind.

Most bosses still won't go for it even if they're saving wages cash.

Hey ho.

Pre.............
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

productivity | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback