Print Story It's not you Husi, it's me
Space
By georgeha (Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 08:59:41 AM EST) beer, illness, LED (all tags)
Plus Black Swan, High Frontier, Heavy Metal, Boldly advancing into the post-incandescent world!, internet stars, painless upgrade, mixed up birthday, loft dreams meet reality, the Three Doctors, Hoff-Stevens goo, new job and less.

Poll: Hottest character in Heavy Metal?

My halcyon days of several diaries a week, or even one diary a week are long gone. It's not you, Husi, it's me. Life has been busy, blah and barely worth diarizing lately.

Lie-berals want to poison your family with mercury

If you don't hang out with hard core conservatives, you may be unaware of how those lie-berals are trying to poison Americans by making incandescent bulbs illegal, forcing Americans to use mercury laden compact flourescents with poor light quality that make white people look sickly (but not black or brown people, funny that). I'm referring of course, to the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.

One day at Lowe's I noticed they had LED replacement bulbs for our track lighting. We've gone through eight in the six months we've had it, and there are five lights on the rail. I'm getting tired of replacing them, so I thought I'd give the LED one a try. After I bought one, I looked on wiki and realized the transformer might have a problem with it. So I pored over the Tiella website, called customer support, called tech support and finally got an answer, the transformer needs at least a 40 watt load. The LED bulb is only 6 watts, so I'll need to keep one or two halogens on it, or put more cans on it.

The bulb, at $20, breaks even over five years with electricity at 6 cents a kwh. But if it lasts five years, compared to six months for the halogens, I'm far ahead.

Light wise, it seems a little brighter than the halogens.

Internet stars

We're internet stars, our family is the first panning photo at the Wide Waters Garden. Our check went through too, we get the same plot as last year. I'm going to start researching tangles, the three sister's planting on corn, squash and beans. Beyond that, tomatoes, basil and  maybe peppers.

Painless upgrade

My head was still in IDE/ATAPI mode when I ordered a bigger hard drive for our XP box (it only had an 80 gig). I forgot to order an extra SATA cable, and forgot to borrow one from work. I'm used to having lots of spare cables. Luck was with me, I had an unused USB sata drive enclosure that I ordered by mistake, I really wanted an IDE one. Using that and HD Clone Free, I was able clone the existing drive onto the terabyte drive via USB, then swap around and put it in the box. Two hours later, 900 gigs of free space, which should hold a years worth of ipod backups.

High Frontier

High Frontier is a boardgame for people who find Hohmann transfer orbits and VASIMR thrusters exciting. It's intended to be a simulation of exploiting the solar system with robots and zero-g factories. It's an overwhelming, confusing mess at first, and a birthday present to myself.

I pored over High Frontier one night and realized it's a map of orbits/delta v, not distance (though somewhat coupled with distance).

It's an elegant way of portraying orbits, with three burns Mars is three years away, but you can cut that down to one year with seven burns. That mechanic portrays waiting for a quick, low energy path to Mars versus burning a lot of fuel to get there.

Oh yeah, I had a birthday, and it was mixed up. I started throwing up well before my first drink. I was dealing with an inner ear infection making me all woozy and dizzy and nauseous. I'm better now.

loft dreams meet reality

Fourteen year old wants a bigger bed, she's finding her twin bunk not very fun to sprawl and read in. She has a small room, most of the rooms in our house are small. We got her a double loft, but she was conflicted, she was afraid it would take up too much space and make her small room crowded. It's 2011, where the heck is that Tardis?

In other dreams meet reality angst, she's angsty because she's realizing she can't have it all, famous movie stars that are also famous photographers with a house full of kittens and a barn full of horses that travel the world having fun while making scientific discoveries don't exist.

Hoff-Stevens goo

I've been dealing with odd tastes in my home brew lately, which I needed to combat before I kegged my honey lager. I thought soaking the keg in hot bleachy water would be enough, but since honey lager is so good, I decided to be extra thorough, good thing.

I stuck a temporary bung in my Hoff-Stevens (two prong) keg and attached a hand pump. Once I built up enough pressure, vile stringy slimy stuff came out, I suspect it was harboring nasty microbes. I pumped enough to get clear water, then cleaned and rinsed and filled it up. I should have honey lager on tap by Friday. It's almost as good as stout on tap for Saint Paddy's day.

I have to figure out an easier way to clean those kegs, including the drip tubes. Any ideas?

New Job

Mrs. Ha is getting used to her new job. The people that run the inhome day care are particular, and do everything by the book. They've never had an employee before, so they're learning how to manage while Mrs. Ha learns what they want. It's a welcome change, fearing to open the door because it might be the landlord ignorant of the illegal daycare, or The Man busting an illegal daycare or The Man picking up a family member for abuse allegations when you're the only one there because the owner is working at the tanning salon gets old.

On to media reviews.

Heavy Black Metal Swan

I thought Black Swan was just like The Wall, but with ballet dancers instead of a rock star. Dysfunctional family, drugs, hallucinations, star unable to cope with the pressure, the whole deal. Recommended if you want a depressing movie, if you want a feel good movie about ballet, get Altman's The Company instead.

I like movies for escapism, and watching a mentally ill person suffering from their dysfunctional upbringing and handling pressure poorly isn't escapism.

Heavy Metal is a different story, the perfect movie for a horny ninth grade boy. I first saw it in high school on HBO, and it's the perfect movie for a high school boy. I rewatched recently on Netflix, and it still appealed to my inner high school boy.

In other netflix news, I was able to watch The Three Doctors, so now I've seen the first four doctors. Netflix also has some First Doctor and Second Doctor stories, stay tuned.

< Bike news and stuff | Troubleshooting >
It's not you Husi, it's me | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Life by Cwis (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:13:12 AM EST
I hear you on that one. I've had a torrid time over the past few years where I've not posted at all, here or elsewhere....

Life is a bit quieter (and far, far happier!) now, so I can post. Not daily though!

Work has picked up a lot fsince 2001 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:30:45 AM EST
much of that due to layoffs, we're much leaner. The homelife has gotten busy too, as the girls get older they get more outside activities.

2001? by Cwis (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:39:57 AM EST
I've worked for five seperate companies since 2001 (one of them twice!)

Jobs for life? Huh!

Given the talk of adjusting Social Security here by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 10:31:06 AM EST
some people might just be in a job for the rest of their life.

I haven't been diarizing much myself. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:26:42 AM EST
OTOH, Rusty hasn't posted anything at K5 in 4 months. Did the yacht sank?

Saw Heavy Metal in the theater, at a midnight movie. That theater (Skyline at Bailey's Crossroads) also did Rocky Horror and The Wall as midnight movies. Important note: Do not watch Heavy Metal while on several hits of acid. Also, Rocky Horror is even weirder in that state.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

dunno by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:32:55 AM EST
but I got blocked by him on facebook, strangely enough.. (And I didn't even post 'shopped pics of his family or anything.. geeze.. Actually have no idea why, but it's strange reading threads with classmates/common friends where they're replying to rusty and I have no idea what's being said..)

Your anonymous internet persona by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:30:58 PM EST
does come off a little dickish on face book. I ignore it because I'm a jerk online all the time, but its a little out of place there.

i gave up on k5 months ago by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:30:12 AM EST
My life is too busy to waste time looking for the rare wheat.

That sounds like our midnight movie theaRocky or The Wall.ter,

cleaning by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:31:47 AM EST
well, kids sippy straw cups also get grody in the straw.. We got small diameter bottle brushes to attempt to keep the next round cleaner. Unsure of the length of your stuff..

there is a ball valve in the way by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:31:59 AM EST
I think something like a hollow tube would be a starting point

vomiting on your birthday is no fun =( by tierrasimbolica (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:25:46 AM EST
 at least you didn't have a wikus birthday, a la district 9.  hugs nonetheless!

Drip tubes by ni (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:32:41 AM EST
Oxyclean or equivalent would presumably do it. A number of people have constructed one-piece $15 hand-pumped cleaning kits (but perhaps this is similar to what you're already using) that seem to solve the problem, although I have no idea how you'd attach one to a Hoff-Stevens keg. I'm not even sure I've ever seen one before.

What yeast are you using in your honey lager? What temperature are you lagering it at?

really, 2 prong with a wooden bung? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:34:57 AM EST
They were common in the 80s, and the small brewery in my parents hometown converted a few years ago.

Oxy Clean by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 12:24:46 PM EST
Oxy Clean would work great as well, unless there is beer stone.  Then you need hot PBW.

I would assume you attach to the keg with the standard Hoff-Stevens adapter.  Or you can pull the spear, it's not that hard.  Long soak in cleaner is the big part.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
Hoff-Stevens by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:40:36 AM EST
Wow, I haven't seen a Hoff-Stevens keg in years, not since G. Heileman Brewing (Old Style) went out of business.  Man that's like 20 years ago.  I heard that Yungling was using them as little as five years ago.  You could convert to Corny kegs.  It would be easier.

The there are only two things you can really do.  Get a spear puller so you can get the whole spear out, or fill the thing with a solution of Powdered Brewery Wash.  PBW will get all the organics out of it, dissolve beer stone, etc...

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
Straub converted a fee years ago by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 11:37:41 AM EST
So now I have about five, and some mini ones. It's not great beer, too much corn.

I'll order some pbw.

Poll FAILS without Captain Sternn. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 12:52:32 PM EST
j/k. I voted for Taarna.

.06 /kwh!!?? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 02:44:24 PM EST
Damn, Texas gets ripped off with electric prices, best we can get is .11/kwh, and that's if you agree to burn babies.

But how was the sex scene in Black Swan?

Much of our electricity is from fusion and fission by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 03:08:33 PM EST
and we're connected to the the grid, unlike Texas.

You wouldn't think Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman having sex could be icky, but it was.

sex scene by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 03:57:42 PM EST
really? I like it. Portman's fap scene was way hotter, though.

At least until the payoff scene by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 06:21:06 PM EST
icky, creepy.

I know! by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 07:52:57 PM EST
I pay almost 13 cents per kwH

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
we just changed plans by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 08:40:10 PM EST
we were getting 14.8/kwh, but i shopped around and got a new plan (electric is deregulated here) and found something 11.8/kwh.  i hate when i see "the national average is 8/kwh"  i wish I could get that!

in illinois by garlic (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:35:36 PM EST
Our electricity is deregulated but there's no consumer place to buy electricity beyond com ed. it seems scammy to me.

not scammy. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 10:42:14 PM EST
Well a little.  But electric is one of those things that should never be on the free market yet here we are and it's a little late.  Free market was good when it first came out.  But now it's too dear to create reliable energy.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Deregulating the market by garlic (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 08:44:45 AM EST
so that you can make more money, and will allow consumers to purchase electricity from providers of their choice, and then there not being any other providers means someone perpetrated a scam.

well by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #34 Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 04:07:24 PM EST
In PA, there are 3 or 4 providers.  The scam here though is they all change within 2 cents of each other.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
that's not a scam by garlic (2.00 / 0) #35 Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 10:09:08 AM EST
if the market works right, they'll be at very similar prices. Or if they collude.

oh by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #36 Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 07:40:31 PM EST
the scam was telling us the free market meant substantially lower prices!

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
dergged here too. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Mar 03, 2011 at 10:41:02 PM EST
I have the cheapest rate avail.  Which is a whole savings of 2 cents.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I've never watched (or read) Heavy Metal by lm (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 07:32:19 AM EST
The closest I've come is South Park's send up: Major Boobage.

It's on a long list of movies that I'm a bit embarassed that I've never seen. Others on the list are The Big Lewbowski and Groundhog's Day, Just about everybody in my age bracket has seen those two films multiple times.

I'm half and half with you on movies and escapism. I wouldn't go so far as to say that "feel good" endings are always the best ending. In fact, I'm a big fan of ambiguous endings, especially ones that make you think and re-think the movie through. Moreover, many "feel good" endings really torque me off. That said, there is a certain class of movies that are just painful to watch regardless of how great they are as cinema. For the most  part, I just don't get those movies.

Cicero, The Republic
I haven't seen Groundhog Day by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 08:01:40 AM EST
but Lebowski was good.

If you can handle it, instant Netflix is good for catching up on old movies.

In the 80's, I was into reading Heavy Metal and Epic, I still have a few tucked away somewhere. I wasn't into Marvel type comics though, just the glossy PG-13/R stuff.

You two must see Groundhog Day before by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 12:58:40 PM EST
Groundhog Day. It's a tradition.

I've never met lm by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #33 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 01:32:22 PM EST
so I think a short coffee date would be better.

I just watched by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 09:50:09 AM EST
The Big Lewbowski a few weeks ago.  I try and try, but I'm just not in to the Cohen brothers.

I <3 Lebowski by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Mar 04, 2011 at 12:55:44 PM EST
I share your issue, but I found Burn After Reading to be accessible and reasonably funny. Hearing good things about True Grit, too.

It's not you Husi, it's me | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback