Print Story Bike news and stuff
By Cwis (Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 05:25:50 AM EST) (all tags)
Hi all,

As per title really. Some pictures of a rusty old nail enclosed for those of you that like that sort of stuff.

Had a week off last week, to get stuff done. I got an MOT for my Enfield (freshly rebuilt AGAIN with new pushrods, carb, filter and totally rewired by yours truely. I removed all the Indian electonics, switchgear, indicator, handlebars etc and replaced them with British stuff for a  better riding position and a cleaner look.

Pics enclosed:

Pretty, isn't it?

It STILL pops and stops at idle or just over when it's hot - not sure why really - the only thing left that could cause it is probably the inlet valve not closing properly occasionally, so the next time I pull the head off (20 minutes, 6 bolts) I'll put a new valve, guide and seal in there and grind it in.

I started upgrading the Jota too (pics pending) with a new ignition system.

It will be quite an improvement on the current system. I will gain a rev limiter, auto stall control (advances and retards the ignition to keep a stable idle) and 16 different advance curves to choose from, depending on the level of tune the bike ends up with.

As the new system requires more power, it comes with an additional charging coil. This has the side effect of brighter lights and reliable charging - the current system cannot keep up with the electrical demands of running with the lights on full time!

So far I've removed the rotor from the end of the crank (air powered rattle guns are proper boy toys!). I've removed the magneto coil and added the second lighting/charge coil.  I've added a rectifier/regulator to the charge circuit.

The bike only had a rectifier before as the single lighting coil trickle charged the battery - the magneto coil providing power for sparks. Now a electronic coil ignition system is replacing the magneto, I will require more power to run it.

I've ground off the old sensor ring from the crank and locktighted a new one on for the new ignition system (after finding TDC obviously!)

Next is wiring in the new system and testing, and then setting the timing statically and finally dynamically.  First I need a new soldering iron - I burnt the old one out last night soldering the connections to the regulator/rectifier.

On a seperate note, I've started to walk into work. 6 miles a day. It seemed the logical choice between stopping eating (I like eating), or becoming a fat bastard.
< Ah parental rites of passage | It's not you Husi, it's me >
Bike news and stuff | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That looks like a nicely loud pipe. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 05:34:39 AM EST
Y'all have any street noise laws over there?

Deep bassy thump by Cwis (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 05:43:14 AM EST
Not too offensive really because the redline is probably 6K and the gearing is fairly high. One thump per lamp post, and all that.

The laws are a little complex but basically boil down to:

Newish bikes need a BSI (British Standards Institute) kitemark on them for road use (quietish pipes). Race pipes tend to have "not for road use" on them and no kitemark.

Older bikes (pre kitemark standard) - you have to pass the noise law at the time the bike was made. As the MOT road test does not have a noise meter test, it's pretty much up to the tester what passes. As long as it's not offensive, it'll pass.

The Jota is actually far louder (bordering on offensive) but not quite enough to make your ears ache while you ride it. Probably about 110Db at full chat.

Indian vehicle electronics must suck by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 07:06:55 AM EST
if British ones are better.

Mmmm. Something like that. by Cwis (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 08:20:49 AM EST
I replaced the handlebar switches with a traditional "chicken head" headlamp switch. Not because it's better, but just to get the clutter off the handlebars really.

The "old" Lucas stuff (60's and before) was OK. All brass and screw terminals and bakelite. Tough as you'd like and usually single function - one switch for dip, one for horn, one for headlap, etc. You can take them apart and clean it up and it'll still work OK now. And pattern parts are very cheap too.

Lucas really only started to get a bad rep in the 70's with the crappy indicator/lighting combo handlebar switches. They really fell apart quickly!  It seems Lucas could only make single function kit - their Magdyno stuff was crap too, and started the whole "Prince of Darkness" thing...

The Z4 looks sweet /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 07:41:55 AM EST

S'nice on a sunny day by Cwis (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 08:23:53 AM EST
Suspension is solid though. Bit tiring on long trips.

Nice bike. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 09:39:15 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Sweet Ride by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 10:43:14 AM EST