Print Story Five Years Ago
By Gedvondur (Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 07:39:25 PM EST) Five Years Ago (all tags)
Things were okay five years ago. They are better now, but not too terrible then.

In 2006 I was working for the analyst firm I just quit in September 2010. Those were more they heyday of the job, when we had money, hope and a reasonable workload. Things were looking up, the housing market was at it’s height, the money was coming in.

Then things got harder at work. The housing bubble burst and with it the confidence of all of the vendors we dealt with. The firm laid off analysts and our workloads increased dramatically. Raises were non-existent, bonuses less than half.

It’s worthy to note, for those scoffing about getting bonuses at all, that these were part of our base salary. The firm paid less base salary and you were expected to make your production goals + company overall goals to get the entire amount. Well, the company growth targets were more than half of the bonuses. In the past, even with missed company bonuses, they had been paying us anyway to ensure retention. They didn’t want anyone to leave for monetary reasons. After the bubble, they stopped that. The only bonus you could earn was your own production as the company proceeded to retreat in the double-digit percentage points. Without raises this was a pay cut.

Less money turned the company from merely somewhat inept to actively desperate. I put up with increasing workloads, terrible business plans that suffered from a complete lack of execution. When their ineptitude made me hesitate on a wonderful house in the country and I lost it to another buyer, I decided it was time to go. I joined a vendor at the end of summer in 2010.

I still live in the same house. This will be the 15th year in a house we only intended to live in for five years. I’ve done major remodeling on four rooms, put in new windows, a new furnace, new front door, front screen door, breezeway screen door, rear garage man door, two new main garage doors, innumerable small projects, and gallons and gallons of paint. Still some remodeling to be done to sell it. Said like this, it sounds like the house was a wreck. Over 15 years, on a house built in 1951, it really wasn’t so bad. Things like the garage doors and windows were the original in the house. Still, two more rooms and a few small projects and it would be ready for sale. Not sure if we want that now. It’s cheap to live in this house.

In 2006 I discovered I was anemic again. I wrote about it here. I spent a weekend in the hospital. To this day, I still have the hiatial hernia, but the erosion is controlled by the prescription ant-acids and iron supplements. Today, I’m no longer anemic.

In 2006 my wife and I celebrated our 7th year of marriage, 14th year living together and 16th year together. Still going strong.

In 2006 my parents both worked. Now they have both retired. They are well and a big part of our lives. I’m an only child, the thought of losing either of them fills me with terror. I know it is inevitable, but there it is. They are both in good health and in their lower-mid-60s.

I lost an Uncle. We lost a cat. We got another cat and this time a dog too. I bought an early 70s convertible. My wife bought a new car.

I went back to the magazine, only to have it close. I left my analyst job because I couldn’t take the company uncertainty and upper management bungling. I got my current job.

My wife was laid off from her job, hired back at almost the end of a four month severance, and then laid off again late last year. She has a much better job now.

I finally severed contact with a drunken and homeless friend. I feel horrible for doing it, but I can’t help him anymore. Drinking, depression, and other assorted mental issues, he simply will not get treatment. Or when he does it’s extremely short term and he doesn’t take it seriously. He’s been a drain on me for 15 of the approximately 20 years I have known him. The last seven the worst. I have nothing left for him. When I see his obituary, it’s gonna be a hard thing to deal with. But I can’t save someone who doesn’t want to be saved and I can no longer blame myself for his actions. Enough of that.

Five years ago? Things weren’t bad. Now? Things are even better. We all have our problems but overall, better.

All in all, we are good.

< St. Patrick's day plans | Five years ago... >
Five Years Ago | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Please post pix of the 70s convertible!! by dmg (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 09:14:25 PM EST
I hope it is a V8 of some sort?
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Heh, yes it is a V8 by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 09:27:51 PM EST
It's a 1971 Buick Centurion.  It's a two-door convertible, painted red sometime in the 80s.  Original color was silver mist.

It has about 80,000 original miles, hasn't been driven in the winter since 1978.  It comes with a factory Rochester 4-barrel carborator, single exhaust, and a Buick big block 455 cubic inch motor. (7.4560 liters, for you metric types).  It has a three-speed Turbo Hydra-matic transmission.  The body is in good shape, no rust and the interior is nearly perfect, the dash isn't even split.  It has Buick Rally wheels off of a Skylark or Wildcat.

It has some mechanical issues, mostly related to being 40 years old.  Most notably it will need a brake rebuild on the front discs and rear drums and I suspect a new master cylinder.  The power windows need work, and I need to replace the convertible top seals.  The exhaust also needs work, but instead I am going to convert it to a dual exhaust.

I don't have any good pictures of it right now and it's in storage for the winter.  It's similar to the red ones in this GIS but mine has a black interior.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
7.4 litres and drum brakes LOL. by dmg (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 17, 2011 at 10:01:36 PM EST
Nice. I would love to drive a US muscle car over here, but Socialism makes it economically unviable via taxation. And having the wheel on the wrong side would be a major inconvenience at carparks and toll booths etc.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 08:49:24 AM EST
Well, it's go front disc brakes, which is unusual for an American car that old.

It's not so much a muscle car as it is gas-guzzling land yacht. :-)

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
dear god by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 05:02:51 PM EST
it was a law.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
-1 No Fish Content by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 09:11:24 AM EST
NT

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Posted on THURSDAY. by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 12:55:52 PM EST
Can't be Fish Thursday.  :-)

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
Yeahbut... by ana (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 08:57:15 PM EST
it's friday now, well past lunchtime in every timezone.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

anemia by dev trash (2.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 05:01:28 PM EST
Sometimes I wonder.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Easy test to get. by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 03:03:26 PM EST
See your doctor.  Simple red cell count.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
don't even need to see doctor. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 07:47:25 PM EST
Could get a quickie donating blood.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 21, 2011 at 08:22:30 AM EST
Not a bad idea.  I hadn't thought of it.  Blood donation really isn't on my agenda because of the anemia.  I wish it was.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
I've been wanting to. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Mar 21, 2011 at 09:18:11 PM EST
anxiety over passing out....

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock