Print Story Team Ginger goes on holiday
By spiralx (Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 02:29:01 PM EST) (all tags)
No more work for two weeks!

*does the happy dance*

Poll: how often do you go on holiday?

Woo, that's it for work until the Monday after next, which is pretty damn sweet. Tomorrow I get to spend the day packing and going into town to get some new swimming trunks and possibly some books to read by the pool; a trip to Forbidden Planet may be in order. Then Rachel is coming round tomorrow evening and staying the night so we can get the train down to Gatwick tomorrow and meet up with Johanna and Elaine to get the plane to Sharm El Sheikh and spend a week in Egypt sitting by the pool, reading and drinking free booze. And some quad-biking, water park action and apparently a hike to the top of Mount Sinai to watch the sunrise. Looking forward to it a lot, I didn't get to go away anywhere last year due to organisational failure.

Best of all, a friend of ours went there a few weeks ago for a diving holiday, and didn't get eaten by a shark or killed by protesters or the secret police, so I reckon we'll be safe ;)

-- Interlude --

Annoyance #1: in Chrome if you have a bookmark in the toolbar that's over a certain length when your mouse goes over it you get a tooltip appear that won't vanish until you move the mouse back over the toolbar, which is happening when my bookmarklet to turn plain text URLs into links.

Annoyance #2: you can't do anything with Chrome's spellchecker in these edit boxes, because the rich-text editor overrides the right-mouse click menu.

-- End interlude --

Friday night I went up to the Rhythm Factory in Whitechapel for the Therapy Sessions, a semi-regular night of techstep drum and bass to which girl Sam, her new housemate and some of her friends were going to. After a journey of public transport fail and a sizeable queue to get in I made it in there about half twelve or so, bumped straight into Sam and then lost her for ages - love the girl, but there's always some kind of drama with her mates... thankfully reasonably benign this time, and the one's I think are cocks didn't turn up. The first couple of acts were ok, but then Limewax came on at three and played an awesome set of nasty snare drums, evil basslines and hardcore beats. Spent an hour and a half at the front dancing and getting very sweaty, and then Sam wanted to leave so I decided to head with her and her new potential fella in a cab to London Bridge where I got the night bus home. Ritalin and booze aren't quite the same as real drugs for staying up all night you see :)

Saturday I slept till mid-afternoon, then mooched around online before getting ready and heading to Liverpool St to meet my friend John, who I will refer to as jfs, as that's his online name and how I think of him in my head. We ended up spending several hours in Bar 1001 on Brick Lane (where we'd gone on Tuesday after the play actually), which had plenty of comfy sofas in the back room with DJs and dance floor; the music was OK, but the sheer number of exceptionally lovely women wiggling on the dancefloor certainly made for an aesthetically-pleasing background to conversation. We stayed there for a few hours, had a little bit of a dance, then headed back towards Liverpool St and had another couple of pints in a quieter pub before going home.

Sunday I felt a bit ropey, perhaps not surprising after two nights of drinking a lot and getting in at half five and half one respectively. Thankfully ritalin really does completely clear a hangover within about half an hour, and combined with breakfast and a shower meant I was ready to head to my parents' place for one to see them, my brother and his wife and my niece. Had a nice afternoon of food, conversation and playing with my niece, despite her being quite grumpy and puking milk onto her mum twice lol. I didn't feel as awkward as I do sometimes with my brother's wife which was good; she's very nice, but I'm not entirely sure she approves of me... can't think why lol, but I may just be being paranoid.

Work today was OK, had a meeting with our representative from Pluck, who provide the infrastructure for the site I work on. Typical mix of our clinical editor raising questions not anything to do with their software, already answered, showing a lack of technology and/or impossible to do with our setup; the rep talking about all the wonderful stuff coming in the future; and me and the project manager trying to get him to chase up all of the serious bugs in their platform we've had bug requests open for months without a fix. Ho hum. Tweaked a few pages, created a medical mums forum, told the clinical editor she wasn't going to get an entirely new page filled with dozens of links done today.

Left work at 3 to get the train down to the Maudsley Hospital for my third CBT session. It went quite well, I managed to achieve all of my goals from the last session so going over those was good, and we've set new goals for the next session, although going on holiday for most of it means they're all really for when I get back... actually that's not a bad thing lol. Did I say, woo holiday?! :)
< they say you can go home. | stuff and things >
Team Ginger goes on holiday | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I liked Limewax by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 05:12:47 PM EST
better when they were called 808 State.

Should I get off of your lawn? by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 07:29:07 PM EST
 Or stay for some tales of "back in the day"? :)

I'm adjusting the onion on my belt. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 07:32:47 PM EST

I liked 808 State by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 06:33:11 PM EST
before Limewax was born. Actually, I didn't, but I knew of them before he'd have been talking.

I've been on holiday all this year so far... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 06:04:02 PM EST
In whistler snowboarding at the moment...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Whatever n/t by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 07:26:45 PM EST
:P

I hate you by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:41:21 AM EST
With a burning passion.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

haters gonna hate n/t by dmg (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 06:12:39 PM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
n/t by spiralx (4.00 / 2) #19 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 06:36:16 PM EST

Indeed by dmg (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 07:44:42 PM EST

That's the way it is.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Do 3 days by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 09:30:43 PM EST
In the hospital count as holiday?  People took care of everything for me, so it felt like one.

I'd say so by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 05:00:36 AM EST
I mean, you came back with a souvenir after all :)

And a scar!!! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 10:20:08 AM EST

Eyy! by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 04:22:52 PM EST
That's like two wishes in one!

I'm surprised by the poll results by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 07:54:04 AM EST
Work/life has a habit of getting in the way of going on holiday for me - I usually only manage a city break in the summer - but I'm surprised it's the same for everyone else.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I dunno by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 04:31:40 PM EST
We're a fairly varied bunch and there's lots of people with families. I voted once a year, which has been the average recently if you include going to Hungary twice now (and this year) to go to a festival for 8 days and then to a hotel in Budapest for another 4 days of pool-side lazing. I certainly think of it as a holiday, the festival itself is lovely and relaxed and with the hotel afterwards it's all gravy :)

Twice a year for a week each time. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 08:42:44 AM EST
Plus, every weekend in the summer I go to the beach, plus the occasional three day weekend to do things like ski trips or campouts.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Depends what counts as a holiday. by priestess (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 12:14:08 PM EST
I mean does a long-weekend camping at a festival count? What about if it's a week-long festival in Budapest and we got to a hotel for a few days afterward.

Or a long weekend in Amsterdam waiting for UFOs to come destroy the planet. I wonder if that counts?

If those kinda things count then many more than two a year.

If it has to be a whole week off and/or abroad then probably less than one.

Adam.......
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Was Amsterdam disappointing? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 01:30:59 PM EST
Or not?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Amsterdam was amazing by priestess (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 07:58:26 AM EST
The fact a planet still remained after I got home was disappointing.

Pre.........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

I included Ozara in my vote by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 04:32:48 PM EST
Between the relaxed pace of the festival and the hotel afterwards, I've always come back feeling refreshed and like I've been on holiday :)

Weekends count by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Apr 05, 2011 at 07:39:00 AM EST
Any spatial relocation that makes an imposibility  doing the laundry and scrumming in Sainsburys is a holiday.

Team Ginger goes on holiday | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback