Print Story My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
By spiralx (Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 08:22:00 AM EST) (all tags)
 Hmm, I almost typed yeard instead of yard there, which brings back memories of reading the hilarious threads on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series at the Westeros forums. They're much more fun than reading the actual thing with all the rape and Objectivism.

Well seeing as how I seemed to have started a spate of 5-year recap diaries, I thought I'd do a more general overview of my last five years.

Five years ago I was going out with and living with Johanna, we split up that year I think and are now best friends, which is good. After years of feeling guilty about Torie I bumped into her last year in Russell Square, just as I was waiting to meet Johanna for lunch of all things! I literally was just about to answer the phone, turned around and Torie was standing there saying hello, I almost fell over in shock lol. We've met up a couple of times for lunch, and I got to give her the apology I hadn't felt I'd ever done properly before... doing that, and realising I wasn't still in love with her, was one of the most cathartic experiences I've ever had.

Not much else in the way of romance since Johanna, had a short-lived thing with a girl I then ended up living with, but we're good friends as well now. Although I think it'll be easier now she's moved out as I do still fancy the pants off of her, and I don't have to deal with another summer with her walking around in her nightie in the mornings :) I've not really been making much effort to find someone anyway, I've been dealing with the ADHD for most of the last five years. It would be nice to find someone though, I do miss having someone to share my life with, some of most depressing moments I've had have been where I've been on my own having a great time, and then wished there was someone else there.

I'm currently living with friends in SE London, in a large house that's had a load of our friends living there over the last five years or so. But all things come to an end, and one of my housemates and I need to start looking for a new place after I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to the palaver of finding somewhere and moving, but it'll be nice to live somewhere that isn't quite so shop-worn as the current place.

Work is much, much better. Five years ago I was still working at the dot-com doing streaming stock charts Java applets, bored, unchallenged and underpaid. Now I'm at the BMJ where I get to do a variety of stuff, get asked if I want to do move onto another project if I'm bored, have input into the projects I work on, feel I'm doing something good and get paid a decent amount as well.

Socially I'm going out probably about the same as five years ago, but to much better nights where I love the music - it's gotten easier to dance for hours without taking as many chemicals, which is no bad thing. I'm trying to be a bit more proactive with doing other things with friends, as without having a girlfriend who's very active and organised socially my lazy tendencies kick into play...

Music wise I'm still into my techno, but also more into breakcore, dubstep and various other forms of wobbly bassline nonsense. I've also gotten very much into my female singer-songwriters, especially Regina Spektor, Sia and Tallulah Rendall. Between Soulseek, Spotify and Soundcloud it's gotten easier than ever to explore new music, which is good as there's tons out there :) I've been to a couple of gigs in the last few years - Gwar and Britney Spears lol.

Woohoo, it's Friday! I'm looking forward to going out tonight to the Therapy Sessions for some full-on techstep and general booty-shaking, it's been at least a week since I did that last. Have a good weekend all!
< Back to work on Monday. | It's been that long >
My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
In chanelling by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 12:28:22 PM EST
husi's various resident punsters: Thanks for the meme(ories).

And, in inferring the replies by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 12:46:13 PM EST
of resident pedants: channelling and channeling are both actually words found in the dictionary...however, chanelling is definitely not.

When I Chanel, I like to No. 5. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Mar 13, 2011 at 01:35:06 AM EST

cathartic experiences by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 01:40:25 PM EST
Every once in a while I have a dream about someone from a past relationship.  I don't think much of it.  I haven't seen this person in ages and I don't really care to.  I don't think of this person when awake at all.   Mostly I consider it stray dream that gets triggered in my sleep.  Once in a while though I get a particularly powerful one that triggers a bunch of old insecure emotions.  They pass after a bit, but they are unnerving at times.  Other times I'll have a dream where I meet the person in a current context / time and like you realize I have no connection to this person in real life in the way I once did.  Those are nice dreams and occasionally I'll wish that occurred in real life.   It would just be a nice thing to have happen, but on the other hand not having any connection in real life might be the safer / easier way to go.  Despite our long relationship, other than a learning experience, it was not an over all positive / compatible relationship.

____
Guess it depends by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 04:27:50 PM EST
The whole breakup with Torie was entirely my fault and indeed the most cuntish thing I think I've done, not to mention a massive mistake. So I had a whole lot of guilt and emotion bound up in that, but no negative feelings towards her. So I'm glad that's gone, although there's still a lingering regret that pops up - there was a girl who looked very like her dancing when I was out Saturday, which got to me a bit, hence me suggesting leaving for another pub before there was any potential of emo behaviour on my part lol.

It happens by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 04:32:31 PM EST
It is weird how people imprint on us, so much so that it has less to do with the person than us.   I recall meeting a girl insanely similar to one I had just finished an on and off relationship with in the past.   So similar that I decided it wasn't healthy / fair to pursue anything.

____
Yeah by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 05:29:33 PM EST
This girl was just way too similar to Torie for it to be comfortable, as you say, it would just be weird to pursue a relationship with someone like that.