Print Story All the cool kids are doing it.
Husi Stock
By ana (Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 12:57:28 PM EST) 5 year plan (all tags)
Five years ago was an odd time in my life to compare to anything.

We'd been married 9 months, living together for about 18.

I had a walk through the diaries I wrote in March, 2006. The iMac that's still in the parlor was new then, bought in part as a backup for a laptop which was mission-critical. And which had failed (with some help from Teh Dawg, who was protecting us from Teh Evol Mailman), four days prior to a massive deadline for something known as $evil_project. Which really was evil, and hasn't been repeated, at least in the same form.

Five years ago, at hulver's urging, I proposed the first Writing Fun Challenge, "Ed Hulver and the Little People". Much fun, and some hilarity, ensued.

Ten years ago seems like a better comparison to now. I recognize that person. Just starting to write about all the Weltschmertz that is my life, trying to figure out just what kind of queer it is that I am. Ultimately coming to an understanding of myself that made the marriage seem like a workable thing.

I was starting to write about other stuff as well, including some fiction for the first time.

I was working fairly hard on some of the same things I'm working on now, though the details differ. And not leaving quite enough footprints to reconstruct WTF I was actually doing. One never does, somehow.

In some ways, I guess, my life, or at least my moods and outlooks on life, resemble the stock market through the 1990s: an overall rising trend with a huge, anomalous, boom/bust in the middle. Kinda like this:

So I'm somewhat better off than I was ten years ago, but not nearly as much as five years ago. Except that I'm pretty sure this is sustainable. I was then, too, but, as it happens, I was mistaken. Also possibly a bit less rough than the before times, but there are still pitfalls.

So I voted "much worse" in spiralx's diary, but it's not as bad as it sounds. I think. Tune in again in five years and we'll see.

< 5 year report | Proverbial Stuff and Exisential Things... >
All the cool kids are doing it. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I know the feeling by spiralx (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 04:10:03 PM EST
The happiest period of my life was about 8 years ago when we were still on k5 and I was going out with Torie... but it definitely wasn't sustainable (as I proved in spectacular style), because really, my life was a mess. I'm not as happy as that nowadays, but more optimistic about being able to be so in the future and not fuck it up.

Odd by CaptainZornchugger (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 06:36:22 PM EST
My life was also absurdly happy five years ago in a ludicrously unsustainable fashion.  Perhaps we should all start a club.

"A Genius?! For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius??" -- Pablo de Sarasate
O Captain, my captain! by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 07:33:28 PM EST
How the heck are ya (beyond what you just wrote)?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Truly odd by Signal 11 (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 08:59:40 PM EST
 It's as if all the old-timers are coming out of the woodwork.

Woh. by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 09:07:09 PM EST
Just, woh.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

indeed by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 10:10:40 PM EST
wtf.
---------
Ha ha ha by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 05:55:44 AM EST
I lolled.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I will find you a link to a comment by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 07:36:16 AM EST
on Ars Technica which is from someone called Signal 11, and looks as if it's him. No longer an attention whore. Apparently with the peace corps.

Pretty good, actually by CaptainZornchugger (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 12:15:57 PM EST
Dealing with the tenure-track job search, and various such stresses, but in general doing fairly well.  Single now, living in NYC, drinking less than I used to, and spending a whole lot less time on internet message boards now that I don't live in a cubicle.

I'd ask how you are, but I guess I already know.

What field? by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Mar 12, 2011 at 12:42:36 PM EST
And yeah, I guess I'm kinda out there for anybody to read. Even you. ;-)

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

That's one club I don't qualify for by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 08:11:10 PM EST
Five years ago my life was absurdly miserable in a ludicrously unsustainable fashion.

Cicero, The Republic
Well... by CaptainZornchugger (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 10:10:24 PM EST
Seven years ago my life was pretty miserable...   maybe you're due for the other extreme, at some point soon.   Of course, given the withdrawal symptoms, I'm not sure it's that good a thing, overall.

There is misery and there is misery by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 11, 2011 at 03:18:38 PM EST
I've had some pretty miserable patches in life for a number of reasons. The patch from about five years ago was uniquely miserable in a quite absurd sort of way.

If I could write fiction worth anything, it'd be a great book.

Cicero, The Republic