Print Story told the boss
By MillMan (Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:48:10 AM EST) (all tags)
about my plans -

or at least told my coworker who is now apparently my boss as he did my yearly review today. Got a fat bonus (company did very well this past year) and a token raise.

He was pretty surprised by the massage school thing, and seemed to be ok with me sometimes working from home on school days. I will likely have to talk to the bigger boss about it further, who will probably recognize where this is leading. It's not a control freak company by any means but I'm not certain that he's going to want other peeps thinking they can do this too. Then again I can get all "hey man, go ahead and find someone off the street who is going to do this next project as well as I'm going to."

My Belgian friend posted a facebook update about being in some fabulous beach shack in Guatemala with cool peeps and she told me to ride my sickle down there. I was all,

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Like Rage Guy, I guess, but with the anger directed inward instead of outward.

So I blew it with a girl at the party last Saturday, after completing all the steps correctly - eye contact, working my way into the convo she was having with other dudes, beating the other dudes out of the conversation until it was just me and her, long chat / flirty session, but when it came time for The Business, my body was all, "lol what, yeah no, we don't do that." Fuckin' betrayal. Meh. Couple ounces of confidence back and it shouldn't be a problem next time.

Turns out I still don't like scotch. What a nasty, horrible collection of chemicals. The beer I whipped out ended up being a great conversation prop, though.

Not much else going on. Games this Saturday at Aphrael's place and ripping up the sickle's suspension on Sunday.

< gzt does stuff | Confirmed to San Francisco >
told the boss | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hates it when bosses don't yell at the right place by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 03:13:05 AM EST
I broke the news to my boss that I've secured a co-appointment with a "competing" research institute. Expected "no don't do it" and my peers over there expected a bit of bollocking. Colour us surprised when the response was "That's nice, you should take it"...
-- The revolution will not be televised.
sounds like good news on the work front by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 03:19:34 AM EST
for now at least.

dinner/whatever happening tonight?

yeah I'll be there by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:11:27 PM EST

Scotch is lovely by R343L (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 04:00:02 AM EST
And your taste buds are wrong. Come visit, we will show you.

Rachael

awesome. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 09:02:38 AM EST

Scotch by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 11:13:30 AM EST
It's one of the few things left I can drink these days.  Good thing I have a liking for it.

(Well, that and vodka, but vodka is pointless on its own.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

hard liquor by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:12:07 PM EST
is mostly crap, IMO. All I'm interested in now days is good tequila.

Ah the common fallacy by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Feb 10, 2011 at 01:23:06 PM EST
Tequila Doesn't Count.

Until tomorrow

It's the fusel oil. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 05:11:21 AM EST
It's definitely an acquired taste, like Belgian girls*.

* superfreaks

Belgian girls by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:12:51 PM EST
The Dutch / French culture combo makes for some amusing personalities.

Fashion sense of the Dutch -- by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:30:04 PM EST
Rational thought of the French. It's a gagner/win scenario.

with her by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:40:04 PM EST
I get a "French passion" crossed with "Dutch awkwardness" vibe.

Scotch by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 06:08:15 AM EST
I didn't care for it the first time I had it.  I've developed my taste since then.  I got into bourbon which led to Irish whiskey which lead to scotch.  Pretty much I'm a whiskey guy now, but it wasn't an overnight thing.

---------------
There are some good bosses out there by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 08:16:03 AM EST
The last place I worked, it took me three times to quit. Each time, my boss changed my responsibilities in a way to help me complete my personal goal of getting away to grad school either by allowing for flexible hours to take classes during the day, shortening my work week, paying tuition for quasi-related night classes, etc.

I don't see that sort of thing everywhere butsome managers do really want to see their people succeed at life and not just do well on the job.

Cicero, The Republic
Scotch by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 11:20:13 AM EST
Anything that costs less than $80-$100 a shot at a bar is unpalatable to me. Quality definitely counts as does age. Needless to say, for that reason I usually drink it every 3 years or so with a rare cigar.

GUY-LIKE TYPING DETECTED by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 12:41:09 PM EST
You couldn't keep your ruse going forever. BUSTED!

Haha by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:12:03 PM EST
As I've said before, I'm pretty gender neutral. My boyfriend says I look like Jenny Lewis, have a personality like Liz Lemon, and my upper arms are kinda Madonna-ish (and I don't lift weights really). Basically, I am not what one would consider to be "feminine", but I assure you I was born female.

You have Jenny's divine red locks? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:23:48 PM EST
Have you considered a polyamoury lifestyle?

Oh dear by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:38:21 PM EST
Don't worry, on Husi if you say anything that is seen as non-stereotypical  female behaviour  the boys like to call you a man (they can get pushy about it too). I guess it's cause it gets them to excited thinking you could be a women who likes things they do (that's what I've told myself anyway! Hahahaha)
*twinkle*twinkle*

jealousy by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 01:48:17 PM EST
you mean we can shag AND understand each other?

I have personally by tuscoops (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 02:32:53 PM EST
Asked out over 90% of the guys I've ever dated and I'm not particularly revolting from what I've been told. However, I don't play games with guys. I'm straight up honest with them. Some have taken this as a sign I'm disinterested. Other guys like playing games, which is a complete turn-off to me and vice-versa. And others think that there is something wrong with me that I don't play games- that I'm full of myself, that I'm damaged, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that if a guy meets someone that actually makes sense to them, it wouldn't hurt him to ask them out. I think guys read too much into the "mysterious" woman; the one who is inconsistent, plays games, etc.  The first choice is someone you'd have an understanding, sexually-evolving relationship with. The second choice is someone you will continue to try to unfold the "mystery" of, only to find less and less common ground and consequently, a failing sexual relationship with.

yeah by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 02:34:40 PM EST
most of the women I've dated or been interested in are similar to you.

Hrm.. by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 02:57:01 PM EST
So why didn't it work out? If you don't mind my asking.

we've dated? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 03:02:22 PM EST
whoa!

Heh by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 03:16:30 PM EST
Not sure where you came up with that from my question, but point taken. It's none of my business.

well by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 04:13:12 PM EST
you said "it" rather than "they."

however my pain in neither unique or special, so:

• There are very few people out there that I'm passionately drawn to
  • I meet very few single women
  • I'm generally a failure at getting dates with the sort of women I'm interested in (see story in this diary as an example)
So it's mostly "stopped before I start."

my guess is by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 04:33:34 PM EST
that this area is particularly bad for finding single women.
San Francisco is great for meeting women by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 04:41:35 PM EST
San Jose is horrid. There is a reason I live up there. As I've gone on about over the past year, though, the long commute and sucky nature of my job has left me too depleted to give myself much of a chance.

told the boss | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback