Print Story Time Travel
Working life
By 256 (Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 10:25:59 PM EST) (all tags)
So I logged in because of an awesome sentence in Kellnerin's diary and now I guess I have to post something.

I've been living in Toronto for six weeks. For certain definitions of Toronto. It's nice living in a nice big house with a nice big yard and not worrying about being deported.

But then ni came over. And we drank beer. And he asked me if Toronto had changed much since I left. And I had to admit that I hadn't yet been downtown. And I was abashed.

Well that's changed now. This past Monday I began work as a bike courier. It's wonderful. I am pulling the streets of this city over me like a blanket. And I'm traveling in time.

67 Yonge, express to 20 Eglinton West. 95 Grosvenor second sub-basement to 130 Adelaide West. Standby for more calls. This is more than deja vu.

And the snow comes down. In centimeters rather than inches. And my thin tires throw up white fantails behind me and I say things like "Can you take delivery of this?" and "I need your signature here." And I'm 31 years old and I'm a father and some part of me mumbles that this is not a career. But fuck worrying about that.

I have to ride in the morning.

< Fourteen Pounds?!?!?! | Toddler Talk - New Camera Eqipment >
Time Travel | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
Some people need a destination by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 11:32:58 PM EST
Other people need a journey. In either case, it's never static. Not to sound trite, but in either approach it is "here today and gone tomorrow".

Zip ties make great bike snow chains. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 02:47:54 AM EST
Criss-cross 'em.

They do by Herring (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 04:15:46 AM EST
if you have hub brakes.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

or a fixie by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:58:50 PM EST
(lol)

I gather that some hipsters by Herring (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 03:49:15 PM EST
ride fixies brakeless. Good, is all I can say. Go Darwin!

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Yeah by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 04:36:24 AM EST
Makes using rim brakes a bit difficult though.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Cycling in snow and ice by gpig (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 02:23:00 PM EST
I went for the more expensive option. They're great, I can ride on glassy ice uphill (which there's been plenty of this winter ....)
(,   ,') -- eep
Cool by duxup (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 05:08:06 PM EST
Hell if it wasn't for my desire to consume goods and live what is likely a mildly extravagant life in piratical terms (but not extravagant in most folks eyes), I wouldn't mind doing some of those jobs not thought of as a career all my life.

____
yeah by 256 (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 07:58:52 AM EST
my computer is a nine year old hand-me-down and I just got the first cell phone of my life last month.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Nice one. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 04, 2011 at 03:49:50 PM EST
Hope your eye is totally sorted, BTW.

Time Travel | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)