Print Story I sent roses to someone today.
By dev trash (Mon Feb 14, 2011 at 10:53:34 PM EST) (all tags)
The best comment from her was 'I've been smiling all day.'

I must confess.  I picked a Sunday or Saturday delivery because I didn't feel like a $5 extra service charge was fair ( I mean they're making money hand over fist ).  Plus, and more importantly, a day early would be a surprise, although the whole idea of roses would be a surprise anyway.

When they did not get delivered Sunday, I was torn.  Do I mention it?  Or just wait til end of day today to bring it up?  And then today I was in a panic because I could not find any proof that I had actually sent flowers.  I ordered them at work and for some reason I closed that tab with order number in it.  I did have a marketing email from them but it was useless.

And then I checked my SPAM folder and there was the confirmation email.  And I checked the status and was told that the florists were too damn busy to be updating things and to check later.

I didn't need to.  I went to my FB page and there I saw photos of roses on her Wall.  Not quite sure they were the ones I sent, I counted the number.  Okay that matched.  Then I got a message from her.  She was happy.  I was happy.

She said I had made her day.

When I got home tonight.  There was a card from her in my mailbox.  And a box.  In the box was a single silk rose.  Chocolate.  Lollipop.  A ceramic bear.  A stuffed puppy.  Strawberry Shower Gel.

I went to the gym.  Came back and watched The Social Network.  It sucked.  I wasn't expecting it to be my next movie because the last I checked it was listed as VERY LONG WAIT.  Alas there it was today.  So to maximize the amount of movies I watch, I popped it in tonight so I can mail it tomorrow and have another Thursday.  January I got 13 movies.

Just as it finished she called.  It was a short call.  So there we are.

First meeting EVAR is planned for May.  Nervous, not because I get nervous meeting new people anymore, but nervous in that, what if it goes well?  I mean things are moving along.  I've sent roses, albeit just 6, but still.  We've planned a cross country road trip in August.

I'd drive down to visit her this weekend except that it's 10 hours, that's why I went with Memorial Day weekend, that Monday is my travel back to my apartment day.  Although I'm thinking a half day on that Friday too.

When I first moved out here, I stayed at a Bed and Breakfast for 3 weeks til I found the apartment.  One of those weekends the owner told me that they had guests that weekend as courtesy so I wasn't parading around naked downstairs.  He said that they were a couple that were in a LDR.  She lived up north, he down south and this B&B was half way.

I thought that it was crazy.  But now.  I don't know.

< Weekending Stuff | Hunting high and low >
I sent roses to someone today. | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yes, roses would be quite a surprise. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 03:05:39 AM EST
In fact, I am certain that no woman in recorded history has ever received roses on Valentine's Day. You really got the drop on her.

Now you've painted yourself into a corner. How could you top this next year?

answer: a white rose by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 08:15:58 AM EST
By which I mean zombie Hans & Sophie Scholl. That would be radical.

Ghetto Seven. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 01:18:25 PM EST
Don't stop now. This is a gas.

... sorry to leave you hanging ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 06:11:42 PM EST
... it's been a busy day.

I'm sure you have by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 07:32:35 PM EST
a lot of fires burning.

Well, it does take a lot of concentration. by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 12:38:07 AM EST
But this kind of work does make one free.

Well, then it sounds like by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 01:56:21 AM EST
you've finally arrived at a solution to your problem.

Love what you do; do whom you love ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 08:07:02 AM EST
... it's about achieving strength through joy.

The question remains: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 12:44:14 PM EST
Does dev have the will to triumph?

He sent her six roses by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 08:34:33 AM EST
Obviously he can top that with seven.

Spelling out... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 09:19:18 AM EST
i love you in ascii over the course of eight years

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Ten years: you need to put the spaces in by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 09:56:16 AM EST
But I'd do 8 roses a year, red and white, and stripe them so they were appropriate in binary.

Hmm, must find myself a geek to woo.

Unordered set. by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 10:07:45 AM EST
The roses in a bouquet don't come in any particular order. If you order 8 individual roses, what's to say they'll be delivered in the correct order, or that the giftee will be there to take delivery?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Well, it's more fun to deliver in person by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 11:20:53 AM EST
So maybe all 80 (or 70, if ASCII) ready arranged in Oasis might be better.

"a geek to woo" by TPD (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 10:13:08 AM EST
what a strange sounding owl

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I knew someone that did that. by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 11:45:55 AM EST
45 years on, he's regretting it.

In my plan by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 12:03:50 PM EST
Marital malaise will have set in long before then.  He can simply promise not to scratch his balls in front of company.

Double every year... by ana (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 12:38:55 PM EST
in hopes of taking over the world's flower market before you're 35.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Wait, 10 hours? by curmudgeon (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 01:19:13 PM EST
Is that one-way or round trip?   I though you said she was in VA?  10 hours seems like a LOT more driving than PA to VA (one-way).

Are there any other ways to get there than driving?   Any convenient train routes?
Get over it.
Trains? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 03:28:51 PM EST

To avoid driving exhaustion by curmudgeon (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 04:24:15 PM EST
I'm told that there are actually usable trains on the east coast.  I wouldn't know.
Get over it.
that's a lie. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 09:20:31 PM EST
There are trains, only on the mainline.  So if I want to go anywhere on a train, I'd need to go Philly.  I'd love to do the train thing.  We don't do trains in the US though.  Now if she was in Boston!  Well I'd be set.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Phily-Arlington? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 08:15:12 PM EST
Quite possible. Probably the preferred method.
Anywhere else? No.

Wumpus

one way. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 16, 2011 at 09:18:46 PM EST
And when I say she lives in Virginia, don't think DC or the shore.

Think Tennessee.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

Sounds like Bland County to me. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 12:49:23 PM EST
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Watching this season of Survivor? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 07:02:12 PM EST
She went to high school with one of the dudes on it.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
In Bland County? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 09:43:32 PM EST
Sorry about your obscure cultural reference, but I don't watch television.

neither do I.... by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 10:23:11 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock