Print Story The regiment votes to repair.
Space
By gzt (Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 03:25:23 PM EST) gzt, gin, chess, miles davis, coltrane (all tags)
And, contrary to other people, you need bacon. For awesomeness. It's the most important spice.

Still suck at chess.

Littlest sister-in-law is hanging out with us for the weekend. Her birthday was, like, yesterday or something.

I just read, in wikipedia, about the difference between "Looney Tunes" and "Merrie Melodies". And apparently they aren't being aired much these days because Warner Brothers decided only let WB companies air them? I think this decision is only going to lead to their brand dying out.

So I had a couple packages come a few days ago, but I'm pretty sure they got stolen because the front door to the apartment building hasn't been closing well since the storm. It's only like $40 of stuff and it wasn't anything essential. Still, nonsense. I'm going to have stuff sent to the office for a while, I think.

I think we are playing War of the Ring this weekend. Interesting.

Update: chess at lunch, lost one game and drew one. In the first, I just got a pawn down and the endgame had no chances. In the second, the guy had a bad kingside attack, but I let him have a pawn. I was too slow, because I really should've made use of some of my resources to counterattack his weak kingside. Somehow, another pawn disappeared, but I drew the rook ending because he decided to trade into a dead drawn pawn ending. The rook ending was tricky and had drawing resources (like all rook endings), but it should've been a win. I'm still playing like an idiot.

At the end of the day, though, I just have to keep one thing in mind: "A new and better life awaits you on our distant home planet, Blisstonia."

Been listening to jazz lately, mostly Miles, some Coltrane, because somebody lent me his jazz collection. More Miles, yeah, that's great, but my favorites are still the ones I already knew: Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, Bitches Brew.

Farg, I have to forecast a rough distribution of work over the year (big recurring projects, not the normal stuff that comes up). Mostly lies and BS.

< STOP THE PRESSES!!! | Lhusi beers >
The regiment votes to repair. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Miles? How edgy and dangerous! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 04:20:56 PM EST
Your favorite music sucks.

i know by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 04:46:50 PM EST
it's "jazz white people like". and i'm not going to pretend that i'm somehow better than those posers because i know what a tritone substitution is. but, really, man, everybody's music sucks.

I can't believe you're talking like that by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 05:54:44 PM EST
in post-racial America, man.

Go for Bitches Brew or Black Beauty by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 11, 2011 at 09:40:08 PM EST
and sneer at Doo-Bop, that's all the hipster Miles cred you need.

My favorite music is jazz by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Feb 12, 2011 at 10:07:45 AM EST
But I developed more of a lean towards the big band variety: Stan Kenton "Viva Prado", Benny Goodman "Sing, Sing, Sing", Bennie Moten "Imagination", Earl Hines "Boogie Woogie on St. Louis Blues", Artie Shaw "Serenade To A Savage", Duke Ellington "The Mooche", Woody Herman "Your Father's Moustache" are a few to get you started if you're looking for something new and aren't familiar.

bacon salt by misslake (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Feb 12, 2011 at 03:21:56 PM EST
bacon salt is the one true spice.

The regiment votes to repair. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback