Print Story New stuff and things
Puzzles & Riddles
By gzt (Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 03:10:44 PM EST) gzt, politics, lunch, toodles, bed, doctor who (all tags)
Well, actually, nothing is new. So it's just stuff and things.

Spent a few days at the parents' for Christmas. It was okay. I missed my own bed.

Back at work.

Low on liquidity at the moment.

Watched The Tomb of the Cybermen last night. It was pretty good if you accept the conceits of low-budget sci-fi and are in for entertainment. I liked the more-robotic sound of the Cybermen (as opposed to their current voices). Apparently this is the serial which inspired the current Doctor's costume. I think Smith also draws quite a bit of his characterization from Troughton. I have always liked Troughton a lot from what little I've seen of him.

The Doctor Who Christmas special was decent enough.

Bleh. Finishing off statements of purposes for applications and then I am done. "I want to study statistics. I am awesome. I want to do research. Your school does research in statistics. We would go well together. The end."

Work is workful. Mostly getting BS work done. Thankfully, with the new year, getting rid of some of it.

I was in Iowa and was surprised at the ubiquity of campaign ads. For those unaware of USian politics, the caucuses in Iowa are one of the first opportunities to vote in some way on who will be the nominee for the major parties in the upcoming presidential elections. The Democratic nomination is fairly certain, of course, but the Republicans are fighting hard. Lots of ads. I'm hoping Perry gets knocked out of the race. It would be nice if Ron Paul got knocked out, but he's somewhat popular despite his crazy ideas. I try not to talk too much about politics with people in general, but I discussed a little with my father how crazy Ron Paul is (namely: gold standard? seriously!?). Bachmann was in town.

I'm going to need to get lunch. Toodles.

< I have a Les Paul | It's true what they say about your first Doctor >
New stuff and things | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Paul deserves the GOP nomination by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 03:57:17 PM EST
but it will probably be boring old Mitt. Too bad, the debate about the proper role of the Federal government, returning to the Gold Standard, why gays have cooties and why you should brandish a large caliber handgun when a black pman comes near your wife's purse would be great.

I think it's the other way around by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 06:27:15 PM EST
... the GOP deserves Ron Paul for its nominee.

Since my first choice (Huntsman) doesn't have a prayer of getting the nod, I'm kind of hoping for a Paul nomination just to stir up the pot.

Cicero, The Republic
Yes, how dare they nominate an actual politician. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:59:43 PM EST
In a sane world, Huntsman bags the nomination.

Huntsman isn't an actual politician? by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 08:26:22 PM EST
My mistake. But it's good to know that being appointed ambassador and being elected governor are career track positions rather than being political positions.

Cicero, The Republic
Try reading that again. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 10:54:31 PM EST
Without the sarcasm filter on this time.

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 08:01:37 AM EST
An unsarcastic comment on politics from ammoniacal?

Cicero, The Republic
Romney also seems feasible. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 08:29:03 PM EST
He's a politician and he seems to get stuff done. But, yeah, I do respect Huntsman a bit - ambassador to China is a significant role and I think it would be very good experience for a future president to have.

Mittens is a fucking Morman. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 10:56:28 PM EST
Ergo, BAD FOR MAINSTREAM AMERICA.

indeed。 by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48:42 PM EST
how can people trust a guy who believes in a religion that seems to have been invented for the purpose of helping its founder steal the wives of gullible country bumpkins? country bumpkins much like the hardworking rural folk who fill our nation's strip mall churches, even.

seems to me you can't trust a guy like that to lead a country like this.

Eh? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 08:42:25 AM EST

So is Huntsman /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 08:18:22 AM EST

He's LDS. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 08:39:25 AM EST
Mittens, OTOH, is a Morman. I'm sure you can appreciate the subtle difference.

Well, sort of by lm (4.00 / 2) #16 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 08:44:23 AM EST
It is true that Huntsman and Romney are both Mormons. But that's like noting that Jack Kennedy and Pat Buchanan are both Catholic. Whatever their political differences are, the role that their faith has in their politics is vastly different.

Romney is a former bishop with an interesting tenure as pastor of his flock. He differs from mainstream Mormonism on the issue of evolution. (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is officially young earth creationist and categorically rejects the theory of evolution.) But, for the most part, Romney is a conservatively orthodox Mormon.

Huntsman, on the other hand, has a far more liberal take on Mormonism. I get the feeling that Huntsman is religious in the way that Descartes or Tocqueville  advocated people should be religious, as a means to a greater good (social cohesiveness and domestic tranquility ) rather than as a good itself.

Cicero, The Republic
I get the feeling by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 09:22:45 AM EST
that both sneak a drink when other church folk aren't around.*

*I've heard interesting stories about LDS/Mormon folk in the banking industry.

I can't speak for Romney by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 07:22:59 PM EST
But Huntsman has been known to drink in public.

Cicero, The Republic
nothing is new by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 08:24:47 PM EST
under the sun ..

ya, the republican primary... by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 10:27:38 PM EST
same deal as last time, but even more so. i think my favorite quote of last cycle was "none of them could possibly be the nominee, but one of them has to be."

i'm hoping for a paul or gingrich nomination.

Ron Paul by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 29, 2011 at 07:24:20 AM EST
One of the few US politicians who talks any sense at all.

He's pissing in the wind though much like our own mr Farage.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

New stuff and things | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback