Print Story Rule of three, seen on internet.
Security
By gzt (Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 03:30:13 PM EST) gzt, chess, zoidberg (all tags)
"Perhaps God let Hitchens and Havel pick the third." Which is a terrible sentiment.

If you haven't noticed, I've been on a little bit of a Gilbert and Sullivan kick lately. That is all well and good, but it means that, even to my operatic friends, there is only so much time before I become insufferable. Tarantara tarantara! Speaking of which, the Houston Gilbert and Sullivan people have some good videos on the internets. I found this out because I was looking for video of When the foeman bares his steel and had to sift out all the cruddy amateur productions. Houston's was very well done.

Still working on grad applications.

One thing that has always annoyed me is that a lot of churches suck at the whole "web site" thing. Namely, it's really really easy to have a web page that says when your services are for Christmas, Theophany, or Easter at least, say, a month in advance. And makes it easy to see. Seriously, on Thanksgiving, if I go to your parish web site, I want to see, on the front page, your regular service times, your address, and your Christmas schedule. If you're on the Old Calendar, fine, by December 15th. At the beginning of Lent, I want to see your regular service times, your address, and your Holy Week schedule. If your church web site does not make those three things quite obvious, you fail it. I presume you have decided by then what time your services will be! Also, you should mention the timing of those services in your bulletin starting a month in advance so people who aren't around but get your bulletins have that info. It's really easy to include. "Dec 24th Vigil at 4, Dec 25th liturgy at 10" or something. That's all you need!

Finishing off a bunch of silly crap for work. Here's a hint: if you have some sort of silly goal and need to document progress toward it by the end of the year, it's a good idea to let the people who will have to get the data and probably do the report for you know that before December 19th. You might also want to consult them when you make the goal in the first place so that they can advise you how to write it so that it isn't a stupid goal.

Had a chess match last night. Our team won 4-2. I won my game. My opponent played poorly and got creamed. I hung around for a few minutes because I wanted to see the next couple moves in some of my teammates' games.

We played over games today at lunch. The first board guy got some cute trick and won. The second board guy bumbled through his game - he won a pawn and had a better position, made a little mistake, and then his opponent completely flubbed it. Both were quite instructive to go over. My game was not terribly instructive to go over because it was quite one-sided and, while there may have been better choices for my moves, they were not much better and not interesting differences.

Didn't get the Kraplan gig, whatevs. Probably wouldn't really want it, as part time work on top of real work and evening classes would be a bit much. Besides, they are also a terrible company to work for. However, I do still want the money. I'll see if they're still interested in paying me even if they aren't interested in having my work for them. Still, will apply at other places if they advertise tutoring vacancies.

I really identify with Dr Zoidberg.

< Apple Pie Marshmallows | That skin without a ripple >
Rule of three, seen on internet. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
houston opera guys ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 03:42:58 PM EST
well, riceowlguy hasn't posted in ages, but he's your man ...

I wondered about that. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 04:39:53 PM EST
I wasn't sure whether he was like general Houston opera or specifically Gilbert and Sullivan Society of Houston (http://gilbertandsullivan.org) which is apparently a big deal.

Kraplan sucks by nathan (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 03:53:06 PM EST
Sorry for you're inconvenience. Maybe you could tutor bratty kids in math on the North Shore for $80/hr? If you want to tutor more normal kids for less than $80/hr, I'm starting to get hooked up with homeschoolers...

tutoring in general kind of sucks. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 04:25:35 PM EST
I think standardized tests suck and people ought not to have to study for them. Though I do see some value in getting bright people who don't "test well" to live up to their potential. So tutoring for standardized tests sucks.

Tutoring somebody on their coursework sucks, too, since the courses were usually made by idiots and don't go through it in the way I would, anyway. I mean, I'd teach real geometry instead of this two-column stuff.

One thing that would be cool is tutoring somebody in how to be awesome or tutoring somebody in how to do math for math competitions, but, in the latter case, there's no guarantee I'd be better than them in the first place - I think raw ability doesn't go up or down with further education, so I wouldn't be much better after getting my math degree than I was in high school, I'm just a little more experienced. So, if you know somebody who wants to be awesome, bratty or not, I'd probably be up for it. I'll even give them a very hard test to see if they're worthy of having me as an instructor. Otherwise, maybe, if their coursework doesn't suck. Normal kids are, frankly, better than brats even if less lucrative. Worst case scenario, really, is teaching test prep.

CHECK YOU EMAILS by nathan (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 04:59:33 PM EST
I've totally seen that before. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 05:28:23 PM EST
It's pretty great. I'm somewhat glad that I don't work in anything near that stressful. I am, in fact, not capable of checking my e-mail unless I am at my desk at work.

be all that as it may by nathan (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 05:30:14 PM EST
CHECK YOU GMAILS

Churches, Universities by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 03:53:57 PM EST
As always, XKCD triumphs.

Rule of three, seen on internet. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback