Print Story on importance
By BadDoggie (Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 03:10:18 AM EST) Winnie the Pooh (all tags)
"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

There are things which are important to my wife, like cleanliness and answering a particular piece of mail and maybe that  mouldy thing in the back of the fridge which could kill her. There are things which are important to me, like restoring the Medieval Madness pinball machine. And there are things which are important to our daughter. But like the Terminator, the Puppy can't be reasoned with.

I have spent the past two hours repairing a fucking animatronic Winnie-the-Pooh toy. I gots a lot on my plate right now, from housework to help relieve the much-suffering wife who did the entire move as I lay in a hospital bed to my job in which I'm trying to move to management. To taking an hour just for fucking off and doing not a god damned thing. There's a driving school next door with three motorcycles just sitting there waiting to be hot-wired.

But it was 4 am and I was awake because the Puppy had yet another weird dream with coloured balls and I had sent the mother off to the guest room in the hope that she'd get a half-decent night's sleep already, so there I was... awake.

Toshiba laptops are shit unless you love the constant scream of jet engines spooling up. Word to the wise.

Mildly Naughty Puppy more or less trashed Pooh some months ago with about 14 spills too many. The thing has 10 buttons for various story/song snippets and an entire row was gone which stopped all of the thing from working.

"I'll get it."

And I did. And I meant it. Except that I started but didn't finish because there are so many other fucking things to get done and I had to do them to.

But it was during this quiet, dark period on a Sunday morning at 4:15am with the Puppy binkified and sleeping comfortably again that I remembered or realised or something, that she doesn't know from making sure the 2,000 gallon oil tank is full for the winter or that the humidifier needs to be running so the piano doesn't break. Papa said he would fix Pooh and he started and there's Pooh and Pooh still doesn't work.

Two fucking hours because not only do certain kinds of cereal turn into concrete so strong the World Trade Centre should have been built with that shit, my fingers ain't anywhere close to the delicacy of the §1.17/week Chinese workers who make these toys.

Pooh works again. And when the Froglet wakes up she'll be happy. Papa did what he said he would do. He's working hard on that one.

The wife is awake now and she can't find the fucking battery cover either. We both saw it only a couple of days ago.

< It's all fun and games until someone converts your medicine ball into a kettle bell | Steve! It's your Mum. I have fallen over and can't get up. >
on importance | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
haha by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 03:59:52 AM EST
my toshiba sounds like an a-6 intruder taking off

Heh by Phage (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 09:12:23 AM EST
The exhaust from my wife's Medion/Advent can ruffle papers 6' away.

I have considered fitting some sort of aerofoil and looking for a steep hill.

You know by Breaker (4.00 / 6) #2 Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 12:04:57 PM EST
You can build a set of shelves from scratch, you can rewire a 1978 Ford Cortina, you can cook a gourmet 5 course meal.  You can fight 10 ninjas - and win, or the local government and not go to jail.

But your daughter thinks you can Fix Everything That Is Important.

Papa did what he said he would do.

That's Dads for you.  We earn that capitalisation for doing what we said we'd do.

Good work, Dad!

on capital letters by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 07:45:18 PM EST
Y'all know I can cook that 5-course meal. I can probably even build the shelves. Not terribly confident about the Cortina. What killed is that I stuck the batteries in the recharger the wrong way around so that that MNP had to wait even longer for Pooh to tell her some stories again.

At least we found the fucking battery slot cover.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Virtual pinball by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 12:06:05 PM EST
While it's not the same as real pinball, the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame lets you relive the old tables.  The physics isn't perfect, but it's close enough for nostalgic purposes.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I wrote some physics for VPin by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 11:53:50 PM EST
The owner actually timed out the goddmaned EXE and never took any significant code because then somehow it wouldn't belong to him and that's all he seemed to really care about. I think I have a sandbox of it somewhere that the date never exceeds X.

VPin was interesting and in some ways quite powerful but it is no more a substitute for a real pin than is a cell phone app a sub for a 2-tonne concert grand Bosendörfer.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Williams Hall of Fame by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 21, 2011 at 11:34:02 AM EST
Well, yeah.  The advantage of the Williams Hall of Fame isn't the physic (which are good) but the attention to detail on the table layouts.  It's like an old picture.  It's not like reliving those old days, but it is enjoyable none-the-less.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
DCia is especially fortunate in that regard by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 06:52:12 PM EST
We have the national pinball museum. Granted, they're presently re-locating to Baltimore, but the inner harbor is still within driving distance (or a train ride).

My biggest regret is that it was basically in some guy's house within walking distance of my apartment and I didn't know it for the first year I lived out here in DCia.

Cicero, The Republic
I know the guy by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 08:02:17 PM EST
The real "museum" is out west in LV, but go get as many rolls of quarters as you can and get as much time in as you can because the things are getting harder and harder to repair every day, and the best programming will never beat the real physics of an awesome bang-back.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

With 'the guy' being Arnold or Silverman? by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 09:18:08 PM EST
From what I understand Arnold (Las Vegas) has more machines on display at any given time but Silverman (Baltimore) has more more machines and rotates the ones on display.

In either case, they are labors of love which is more than can be said for many museums.

Cicero, The Republic
My long-suffering wife by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Nov 24, 2011 at 12:55:47 PM EST
did not sell the dozen machines while I was hospitalised for most of a month.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

Next time, by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Nov 26, 2011 at 05:39:41 AM EST
Gadget.

Maker Faire by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Nov 27, 2011 at 09:22:57 PM EST
One of them, I assume Arnold, had a "Whirlwind" table at the Maker Faire two years ago and I duly impressed the offspring by leaving it with more credits than I found it.  That was a treat, to play the real one after twenty-five years.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I liked Whirlwind by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Nov 27, 2011 at 09:45:34 PM EST
Not the fan gimmick but the table overall was pretty strong --Pat "difficult left rail payoff shot through a load of pop bumpers" Lawlor designed it so no surprise really. There is <i>nothing</i> that even vaguely resembles the feel of playing a real pinball machine.

Also, excellent job on finishing with more credits than starting. And excellenter job on the offspring knowing just how cool that is.

woof.

Jesus Christ you're a tool -- Dr Thrustgood

wasn't my favorite table by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Nov 27, 2011 at 11:06:21 PM EST
But it was the best table at one of the two arcades that participated in the "great arcade price war of 1980" in which tokens sank to 17 per $.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
We talked about the battery cover. by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Nov 20, 2011 at 02:34:39 PM EST
I remember it being on the sill with all the other bits.

I've re-checked all the likely places just now. It isn't in any of them.

Front Page ! by Phage (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Nov 23, 2011 at 09:12:54 AM EST