Print Story Some thoughts
Politics
By jimgon (Sun Nov 13, 2011 at 09:15:30 AM EST) (all tags)
Thinking out loud.

Job situation is still in flux.  The attempts to convert me from contract to direct hire are exposing issues between the pimp and the client.  They don't have a documented process.  From what I'm told the contract between pimp and client only block client from attempting to poach for the first six months, but I guess there's nothing in the contract about what happens after that.  Combine that with the fact that I pointed out that the pimp has consultants/contractors sign non-disclosure agreements and you have confusion.  I'm sure it'll get worked out, but right now it's crimping my style.  I would really prefer employment closer to home.  A three-hour round trip commute every day is getting to be a bit much.

Posted on G+ about not having much time to think through the Greek situation.  I have had some time to think about the Eurozone in general.  If the Euro is going to survive then two things needt to happen.  The nation-states need to surrender more sovreignty to the EU.  Pretty much they need to surrender everything and become states within the EU and no longer nation-states.  I don't know how practical that is.  Especially for the Germans.  The other thing that needs to happen is that the ECB needs to act like an actual central bank and that means being the lender of last resort.  The Germans do not have the resources to backstop Italy.  Italy is at the breaking point.  The only group that has the ability to backstop Italy are those running the printing presses.  The ECB really needs to step in and start buying sovereign debt.  It has the potential to introduce inflation, but you have a choice between moderate inflation and the break up of the Euro.  Given that the Eurozone is pretty much in a recession I don't even think you would see moderate inflation.  You might see an end to the recession though.

Oh and I was greatly amused by the EU going hat in hand to China only to have China say, "what you talking about, Willis?"    China is looking for safe havens and Greek and Italian debt are no safe haven.

I've been doing some thinking also on the differences between conservative and right wing.  I don't have much to write about on this yet since I don't have a lot of cycles free to think this through.  I think in order to be conservative one has to actually be willing to think things through and at the foundation is holding individual rights over the collective.  Right wingers are really authoritarians willing to surrender their individual rights to the authority.  Additionally there's some factor of the common good and the commons which conservatives are willing to accept, but right wingers are not. I have more thinking on this to do.  One thing though is how this applies to Mitt Romney.  Mitt Romney is an opportunistic bastard who only cares about becoming president, but at the very core I think he really is a conservative which is where he gets into trouble with the GOP.  The GOP is dominated by the right wingers.  So he twists to appear to fit in with the right wing and they don't find him genuine so that's why they don't trust him.  And he's not genuine because he's not really a right winger.

Romney is still going to win the nomination.  And I think he'll lose in the general election because regardless of what the current polls say the liberals and Democratically leaning moderates will vote for Obama when it's a choice beteween Obama and a Republican.  Especially if it's apparant that we would have Republican majorities in the House and Senate.  I don't really think the moderates and liberals are ready for a GOP free for all again.  Of course the Democrats are notoriously good at shooting off their own dicks, so you never know.
< The generic 3.99 wine is pretty alright | Meditations on Home >
Some thoughts | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Distinguishing conservative from right wing by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Nov 13, 2011 at 02:36:50 PM EST
As expressed, your view seems to be fairly close to 'those who take positions I don't like' are 'right wing.' If that's not what you were getting at, I'm at a loss to understand what you were trying to state.

I'm a huge fan of Brian Patrick Mitchell's book Eight Ways to Run the Country that presents two axes, kratos (power, force) and archy (authority, rank), and then proceeds to examine both "left" and "right" in terms of those two axes. I think it is a helpful way to distinguish between various shades of conservatism (and various shades of liberalism for that matter). In that analysis, the position that Mitchell labels 'Neoconservative' not only has a strong belief in authority but also the belief that authority is justified in use of power to keep the plebes in line. In opposition to this on one axis but still on the "conservative" side of the ledger are the 'Paleoconservatives' who believe in authority but not power and 'Paleolibertarians.' Opposition on the other axis takes one into Left field and you find Progressives (who believe in power but not authority), Radicals, and the Individualist form of Libertariansism.

What Mitchell's mapping allows one to do is to find meaningful differences within the right and yet allow that people within those positions may have reasoned their way to them or not. After all, there aren't many political positions that one is unable to take up without reflection.

I'd be glad to mail you my copy if you like so long as you promise to mail it back when you're finished with it.

Cicero, The Republic
Mitchell's Book by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Nov 13, 2011 at 08:00:18 PM EST
I'll have to take a look for the book.

"'those who take positions I don't like' are 'right wing.' If that's not what you were getting at..."  No, that's not where I'm heading with the thinking.  I think the book you mentioned might help with my thinking.  What I'm trying to do, I think, is to understand.

---------------
Europe by Herring (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 14, 2011 at 04:36:39 AM EST
As other people have said, the German government really don't want the ECB to be that lender of last resort. They are shit-scared of hyperinflation. The German people, however, really don't want to bail out other countries with their own money. To keep the Euro together it's got to be one or the other.

As you say, it's difficult to see how you can have monetary union without political union. The latest Greek bailout is only a temporary reprieve - so long as they keep spending more than their revenues they will keep defaulting. And if they keep cutting government spending their revenues will keep falling as the economy contracts.

The irony here is that the German economy owes a lot of its current strength to the Euro. Had they still been on the Mark, their exports would have been nowhere near as competitive. Or is that irony?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Germany by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 14, 2011 at 06:01:53 AM EST
Yes, the head of the Bundesbank already has ruled out the ECB being the lender of last resort.  The Germans are net creditors and net creditors will always refuse inflation.  Periods of inflation deflate the principal of debt, but periods of price stability and deflation increase the value of the principal of debt.  So the Germans will never support increased inflation.  Which is why the EU needs more power.  Near as I can tell the Euro is basically the Mark extended to the EZ and Germany still runs the show for the EuroMark.  Under the current structure the Euro can only work during good economic times.  Right now it doesn't work.

---------------
Irony by Herring (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Nov 14, 2011 at 06:12:09 AM EST
As pointed out in Private Eye: at the time of year when we're commemorating the war, Germany has now got control of Europe.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
shit-scared of hyperinflation by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 14, 2011 at 09:57:00 AM EST
Given what happened the last time they had that, they should be.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Right wingers by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Nov 14, 2011 at 01:45:06 PM EST
A thing that confuses me about right wingers is how many of them visualise themselves as being at the top of the authority tree. It would get rather crowded up there I suspect if this were actually viable.

So, tell me something... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 12:49:53 AM EST
How does one get a Masonic lodge to respond in a timely manner? I contacted one I was interested in joining about a month ago and haven't heard hide nor hair from them. When I was in L-Town, I contacted one and heard nothing from them for three months. The last time I seriously tried was about 10 years ago. I went to a Lodge, expressed my interest and got an application in the mail 8 months later, by which time, my life had changed so much that I put it off.

So, can you tell me something here I don't know?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Find out when their business meeting is by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 06:15:54 AM EST
If you don't know someone who is in that Lodge, then the best approach is showing up and asking to speak to the Master or the Secretary if the Master is unavailable.  I don't know what is, but not following up is a common problem with Mason.  Lack of follow through by Lodge officers pisses me off.   If you email me the Lodge information and your contact information I can send them correspondence with a reference.

---------------