Print Story Attn: DC/NoVA/MD Infidels
By belldandi (Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 03:15:55 PM EST) (all tags)
Looking for interest in a HuSi outing.

So I still feel fairly new to the DC area, and still don't have many compatriots to get together and hang with. Trying a couple of meetup's, but from what I gather it's more about a meat-market/sex depot than it is about just meeting new people/making new friends. Is there anyone in the area that would like to meet and greet? Either a dinner somewhere downtown or an art/culture activity (jazz/music lounge) is what I'm thinking.
< New wheels. | A Complicated Relationship >
Attn: DC/NoVA/MD Infidels | 12 comments (12 topical, 1 hidden)
A couple of meetup's WHAT? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 06:37:09 PM EST
Dude! Don't leave us hangin'!

I don't think it's a dude (nt) by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 08:34:55 PM EST

Vive le Montréal libre.
It's not... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Oct 09, 2011 at 09:29:27 PM EST
a dude. I am quite thankfully genderized; as a dudette no less. And a pox on the webpage that seems to have eaten my original reply to ammoniacal.

From what I gathered last night from the single ladies is that the whole meetup scene for after-work type activities is more about everyone looking to get a quick lay, not to meet and greet. It was a fairly awkward situation since that isn't what I was there for; luckily the ladies I was talking to were laid back and I just shot the breeze with them a bit before heading home. All in all it wasn't a bad night, but it definitely isn't something that I wish to repeat anytime soon. I think I may look into volunteering efforts and/or themed activities rather than just a "professional mixer."

All right now by jimgon (4.00 / 3) #5 Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 08:41:52 AM EST
You posted this response last night, but Ammoniacal hasn't responded with a crass comment.  I wonder if he's in the ICU again.

---------------
Maybe, but by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 03:23:28 PM EST
I don't drink, and am pretty active in AA. Which can also be a meat market, but the hardcore marketers tend to end up drunk in the gutter.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Hey! by unitard (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 02:53:08 AM EST
What happened to my inciteful comment?

Zombies... by belldandi (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 01:54:26 PM EST
 ate it!

The Silver Spring Zombie walk is coming up by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 05:35:41 AM EST

Fun for the whole family.

Cicero, The Republic
Have you... by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 01:55:44 PM EST
gone to it before? I'm thinking that it could be fun, but my kids do scare kinda easy; happen to know if it is more about laughs or fright?

How old are your kids? by lm (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Oct 11, 2011 at 05:46:38 PM EST
When my youngest was 12, she was down with it. Most of the costumes are more comic than frightening.

On the other hand, the four year old kid with his folks in the Greek restaurant probably crapped his pants when about 50 zombies started pounding on the window and roaring all at once.

Anyway, me, my 14 year old, my wife, perhaps my nephew (18?, 19?) and one of his friends, my cousin (mid twenties) and her boyfriend (looks like he's twelve but he's actually of legal drinking age) and others will go. In past years, we've had a big dinner before hand. I don't know if we'll have time this year. You're more than welcome to crash the party if you like.

Also, if you want an invite the next time I cook enough to invite people over, send me a PM with your email. Last weekend, it was Texas style chili. Time before that was Korean style barbecue tacos. I'm not sure what it will next time. I need to find a new recipe to try to perfect.

Cicero, The Republic
I will be in Washington DC some weekend. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 04:08:12 PM EST
Not quite sure when, but with food like that, I'll buy some plane tickets some time. (If only).

Attn: DC/NoVA/MD Infidels | 12 comments (12 topical, 1 hidden)