Print Story Some minor tips on tradewars
Games
By Del Griffith (Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 07:28:01 PM EST) (all tags)
This is by all means not complete in the slightest.  But I thought I'd touch on email & corporations... messaging makes the world go round!

OK the first thing is someone will want to register the corporations for the teams.  You will probably want to password lock them, so you don't have any obvious sabotage.

Sending & receiving email is done through the computer! So at the main menu type in C, then you can hit M to read email sent to you, or S to send.  You'll have to know who you want to send the message to!  (If you forgot you can List traders!)

Hitting Q returns you to the main menu.  From there you can also hit pound/hash (#) to list who is actively on, and fool around with = hailing frequencies.. If the person isn't on it'll send them a mail message.

It is somewhat straight forward, T for corporations.. From here you can Display & then List corporations, and even Rank them.  Always remember the question mark is your friend!

I know it is a tad bit daunting, but don't forget that there is the bible, and the manual from within the door (Z from the main menu)...

With all of that said, I'll open up scoopwars for those who wish to participate!
< I Did Not Wish To Tempt The Wrath... | RIP Steve Jobs. >
Some minor tips on tradewars | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Let us hope by Orion Blastar (2.50 / 2) #1 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 09:40:12 PM EST
that ublockhead does not ruin this diary as he did the other one.

My advice for those who decide to play Tradewars, again nobody is forcing anyone and a simple no is good enough without the 30+ comment drama and support from their social clique, eh anyway is to play the test version of 1000 turns a day and 100 sectors and pilot their ship around.

Find a port, they sell cargo you can trade with other ports and earn credits (money in teh future instead of dollars and euros we gots credits) for example a Class 1 port sells equipment (EQU) and buys Fuel Ore (ORE) and Organics (ORG) and a class 2 port sells Organics (ORG) and buys Fuel Ore (ORE) and Organics (ORG). Basically fuel ore is gas for powering transwarp drives, planet quasar cannons and the like and we'll get into it later, organics is food and stuff, equipment is basically technology stuff and the most expensive. You find a paired port, say a class 1 next to a class 2, and buy EQU at the class 1, move to the class 2 port and sell EQU and buy ORG and go back to the class 1 and sell ORG and buy EQU. You can haggle the price and get experience points. After you get like 20,000 credits or so head back to Earth at sector 1, it is a class 0 port that sells cargo holds, fighters, and shields. Buy your cargo holds in 5s, and save some credits for like 50 or 100 shields if you can afford it. Go back and trade some more.

Fighters are the staple weapons in the game, and also can be left behind as a beacon for trans warp drives to lock into. Fighters can be set to offensive mode (attack anything that moves) or defensive mode (don't attack but don't let anyone enter the sector) or toll mode (don't attack and don't let anyone enter the sector unless they pay credits relative to the number of toll fighters). You can attack other ships and planets with fighters, and shields are defensive and protect you from fighter attacks, mines, and quasar blasts.

If you get blown up don't panic you got an escape pod, it eats more turns and has 1 cargo hold, but you can still move around to buy a new ship if you find the star dock. If not and your pod gets blown up, you are out of the game for 1 day and come back in a Scout ship that has a lower turns to warp, limited cargo holds, and fewer shields and fighter capacity.

It is called Tradewars because you have to trade at ports selling stuff to earn the credits to buy stuff to go to war with others.

That is a starter guide to Tradewars in a nutshell, the rest is in the TW bible and will guide you more should you decide to read it.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
I should have gotten you to write it... by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 11:08:56 PM EST
lol because secretly I freaking SUCK at tradewars.... it also sucks sitting this one out, but I'll do it in the name of being impartial.

Then again I've done so much sysadminning it feels 'normal' to be just hosting the thing.

-------
Don't sue me bro!

Yeah man by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 12:44:41 AM EST
my schizoaffective disorder makes it hard to write. I'd have to polish those words up, add in TW commands to move and trade at ports and stuff like that.

It is a good strategy for a new player to use to start out and try and keep up with lildebbie and nates in the game. I just used it to get like 45 cargo holds in the first day and nates drained the ports near fedspace so it took me a while to find paired ports about 10 sectors out and make it back to fedspace before I ran out of turns.

Thing is my writing is hard to read and easily mistaken for trolling, but if followed it would lead to a good start at tradewars.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Sadly, I'm shit at computer games by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 01:56:16 PM EST
But good luck to all players! Thanks for setting this up.
at this point... by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 01:00:53 AM EST
I don't think anyone will show up.  oh well it was worth a shot.

-------
Don't sue me bro!

SORRY 'BOUT UR BOTNET LOL by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 10:01:31 AM EST

yeah. by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 11:51:06 AM EST
sorry you guys are so easily intimidated by one vocal user.  Oh well.

-------
Don't sue me bro!

sorry you're so vocal lol by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 07:54:26 PM EST

lol by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 12:50:05 AM EST
apparently you are too scared to 'come get me'.  I may botnet you with telnet.

-------
Don't sue me bro!

l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 03:42:41 PM EST

7 boxies and you are still scared? by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 10:16:00 PM EST
lolololololololololol!!!