Print Story Greetings Husiites.
By Del Griffith (Sun Oct 02, 2011 at 11:16:38 PM EST) bbs, etc, software, challenge (all tags)
I hope to establish a dialog among those of you who enjoy a challenge from time to time.

You see those of us in the 'other place' has also been facing declining numbers, lost interest and well pretty much everyone is going all web 2.0 because of all the nonsensical 'games' and live social action.

There are those of us who feel that we have witnessed the same thing before, in the world of BBSes.

So we would like to propose some kind of tournement between our two sites, the two sides of what was once a vibrant community that is not hopelessly fragmented.

I am not offering peace, olives, birds or anysuch manner, but rather a neutral ground for combat.

The game is Trade Wars.

I was thinking of keeping it simple, medium sized universe.  Naturally it wouldn't be fair for me to participate but that is fine by me.  I can take in the registrations, setup the game, and post daily scores (I run on GMT) daily to find out who is the best of the best.

The only prize I can offier is braggig rights.

Is anyone up to a challenge?

What say you?
< Die | The Idler >
Greetings Husiites. | 126 comments (126 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
In a heartbeat, but by ni (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:01:33 AM EST
how would we ensure a neutral host?

I guess the only thing I'd to offer by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:14:39 AM EST
is my word...

While I did play in our last game, I wound up busy and just parked around earth (where I still am)...  Naturally I woulnd't even do that much this time... I helped nobody from k5 in any manner as they figured stuff out on their own.  And of course nothing stops them (or you) from posting to eachother.....

You can check it out for yourself, telnet to oggfrog.net or there is a telnet client on the web page.  Naturally do *NOT* use your password from here there....

perhaps... by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:15:52 AM EST

Perhaps the majority are asleep.  Either way something has to be done to keep both places relevant.

Why? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 06:49:27 AM EST
BBSes stopped being relevant, people moved on. Slashdot stopped being relevant, people moved on.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Also by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 06:54:38 AM EST
Hulver is still active here, unlike Rusty who's posted, what, one comment over a K5 in the past year?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

He voted in something by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:43:49 AM EST
a month ago IIRC...  And removed a user last week.

why not. by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:43:01 AM EST
look at your user age curve, clearly they are not young but rather would enjoy a contest in something that not only they would be familiar with, but doesn't require software on their side...

Not to mention the nature of the game doesn't require people to be actively logged in all at once.

Surely your users see the value in this?

probably not. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #81 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:42:57 PM EST
what the citizens of this site value, more or less, is our relationships to each other. the site is a facilitator ... and if it gets replaced by a different/better one, well, there'll be some nostalgia and some sadness, but no big deal.

more to the point, perhaps: there are basically two sets of feelings here towards k5: indifference, and hostility. neither feeling would lead to a desire to have some sort of competitive rivalry.

Contests by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #102 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:27:27 PM EST
At my age, I'd prefer a contest in something out of the Civilization series, or maybe the Total War series.  Sadly, my problem there is not a lack of potential people to challenge but lack of time in which to challenge them in.
No contest by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:25:54 AM EST
They would not do it. Like asking them to take one or two hours a day to play a game on a BBS.

They ask for a neutral host, and you offer to be one, but still they will not.

If I wasn't so sick, I'd play it. Teach them a lesson in Tradewars. But I cannot anymore. I can't do many things I used to do anymore.

I finally remembered my password here. The old OB account works apparently. I thought they banned me for writing more than one diary a day here.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
You could play part time. by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:28:52 AM EST
it was what I was doing... for a while.  Even the occasional player can stil make some lasting impact.  Even if it is clearing out a minefield with their body...!

Ah I see by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #48 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:47:43 PM EST
the old "kill yourself" tactic in Tradewars. Throw myself on Lildebbie's minefield.

Orion Blastar's IIS is hit by mines from Lildebbie.

Orion Blastar's IIS is blown up by Lildebbie's mines.

Orion Blastar's Escape Pod is hit by mines from Lildebbie.

Orion Blastar's Escape Pod is blow up by Lildebbie's mines. Orion Blastar is dead.

Rusty's IIS is hit by mines from Lildebbie.

Rusty's IIS is fired by Lildebbie's planet Horsecock I Quasar cannon...... etc

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Declining numbers, lost interest by dmg (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 05:03:11 AM EST
Sounds like yet another crippling bombshell to me!

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Entire days go by here by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:58:17 AM EST
without a diary entry.  And don't give me the quality vs quantity thing, spare me.

Instead when has the last time there has been something that could involve people in something that doesn't cost money, and could show your 'superiority' vs k5?

Afterall what have you got to lose?

? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:35:50 AM EST

?? by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:38:37 AM EST
that is the best you've got? hiding behind a picture?  Come on.  You can do better than that!!!!!!

lol by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #91 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 03:04:23 PM EST
That's classic ammo, and a pretty good indication you don't have a clue about Husi.

Oh look Pod People! by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #56 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:16:03 PM EST
Pod People

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Why would I want to prove superiority over k5? by technician (4.00 / 1) #23 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:16:23 AM EST
Goddamn I hate it when I reply to trolls.

Why am I a troll? by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:19:58 AM EST
I am absolutely serious.

Don't sue me bro!

Reminds me of that line in by technician (4.00 / 1) #46 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 05:24:08 PM EST
that movie. "How am I not myself?"

It's a darn fine question, that. How am I not myself?

Did you ever see that movie? Had Lilly Tomlin in it. When I was a child I saw her onstage for some damn play or one woman show or something. Anyhow, I assumed she was a guy wearing a dress, which is ironic because she's in this movie with Dustin Hoffman, who made a movie about a guy who couldn't get an acting gig unless he dressed up as a woman. Tootsie. Not a great movie but it had some moments.

I Heart Huckabees was the name of the movie, the one that the line I quote up there comes from. When I first saw that movie, I assumed it was made specifically to make fun of me. And don't get me wrong, I do have an ego the size of a small planet but I don't assume everything is about me...it's just, the tone and timbre of that movie...the underlying plot points and the things that motivated and drove each character...well, it was like someone had taken a fun-house view of my existence and created a movie around some of the themes in my life.

Of course I realized that it wasn't just about me, it was everyone like me: white, 30s, American, and driven to the point of excess in one specific direction. Like, once you find some Thing to be passionate about, you pursue it to ends that cannot be healthy for anyone. You shunt all other things into that one Thing and you make that Thing your new identity. It becomes You, and you're lost in some artificial endeavor that masks a far more interesting density of personality and ideas. You subscribe to AdBusters or Financial Times. You buy a djembe or climb the corporate ladder. You focus on some distant point and throw your life into making it there.

In the movie each character is representative of some trait of modern psychology, and the movie goes about making it's point in a comical yet fulfilling series of mistakes forgiven, rules broken and created, and masks lowered to eventually create a synthesis of those disparate bits, a unified personality that, while imperfect, is a far better thing. A unified personality, trying to understand.

In the end, it was time and frantic activity that revealed the unity of those people; each character was a way of mind, each represented some aspect of classic psychiatric treatment, Jungian understanding, Zen philosophy, and classical nihilism.

I don't think you're a troll.

I just think you're one of those people who shows up uninvited and maybe tries really hard to make an impact (maybe with a fancy hat, or some sort of, I dunno, a reptile or small mammal on your shoulder, maybe a bad accent) but ends up being relatively easy to forget once the noise is made and the evening wraps. You head out satisfied that some thing has happened that somehow amused you, and the rest of us forget that you existed. Over at k5 your memetic memory for the various nics is pervasive and long lasting. Here I can't even remember the last idiot that tried to get a rise out of us (often succeeding). The spam accounts and the k5 users have the same longevity.

So, yeah. Not really a troll. Just another aspect of the world, reminding us why we decided to create out little gated community, but quickly fading into a distant nagging sticking point on an otherwise OK evening.

An OK evening by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #52 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:03:53 PM EST
I have Laphraoig and Shadows of the Colossus.  Thoughts of this won't survive that.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Survive? Get the Bat Shark Repellent Robin! by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #59 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:22:03 PM EST
Help me Robin!

Troll? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #58 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:19:31 PM EST
Flamewar Advisory System Red Alert!

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
See the thing is... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #35 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 02:56:25 PM EST
Personally, I don't care about "husi".  I care about the people on husi.  I chat with "husites" all the time, though increasingly not on this particular site.  If it were to die entirely, I might feel a little sad, but as long as I am still in contact with the people I've met here, it really doesn't matter too much to me.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
ok so you are in a clique by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #37 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:08:31 PM EST
that has gone beyond husi, and you don't want anything to do with people outside of it...
Fair enough, then this doesn't pertain to you at all then.

I was only seeking those who are into doing something involving a game.

What I don't get is that you responded not once, but twice saying how much the idea of socializing with people outside of your clique disgusts you...

Don't sue me bro!

"clique" is high school by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #39 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:42:20 PM EST
It's not a "clique".  I have a lot of friends I met here (and on k5, before it became a cesspit.)  If "here" stops existing, they'll still be friends.

It's like if I went with friends to a bar all the time.  If the bar closed down, we'd just pick a different bar.  We might be a little sad, but the bar isn't the point.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I'm sorry you let highschool by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #41 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:46:21 PM EST
and bars define your life.

Thats kind of sad really.

What did you do to the last person that invited you to something? kick them in the head?

Last person? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #42 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:49:27 PM EST
Or last k5 troll?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Ah I see, IHBT. by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #43 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:55:19 PM EST
You don't have any friends.

That was rather funny in retrospect.

Move along then, by all means I'll make official instructions and a guide for new players, and I'll explicitly mention that you are *NOT* invited, as you don't like invites.

Seriously you need to see somebody about your rage, it isn't healthy.

heh, no by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #44 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 04:01:41 PM EST
The point is that I don't know you from Adam.  I don't know your nick, and you say you come from a site infested by raving sociopaths.  Given those conditions, I don't particularly want to have any social interactions with you.

Certainly that could change, if I saw you posting as a reasonable person, but I no more want to join a game with "random K5 person I don't know" than I would on an XBox live public server.  Too much likelihood of annoying garbage.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

In other words by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #50 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:59:51 PM EST
Someone using a name from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" that John Candy played joins Husi as a new user, and you decide to bite the n00b eh?

Look a lot of your friends on Husi have K5 accounts too, so not everyone from K5 is a cesspit loser even if you think they are.

Tradewars is a BBS game, all you need is a Telenet connection to Oggfrog to play it. The Oggfrog BBS is not a part of Kuro5hin by the way, it is a Synchonet BBS that started in OS/2 and later Windows Server via virtual machines. Del spent a lot of his own spare time and money to set up the BBS and some K5 users play Tradewars on it and he wants to offer it to Husi users now.

sure by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #80 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:19:04 PM EST

Sure. But here's the thing: you can be a great guy and still enjoy playing in the cesspit. And yet, the fact that you enjoy playing in the cesspit isn't a recommendation, per se, that you're a great guy.

Except that by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #92 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 03:04:55 PM EST
people ublockhead says are friends also play in that cesspit from time to time. But somehow they are better than others who do the same thing.

If you have to know why I, the blastard, snap and make annoying and inane comments, it is because I am attacked and bullied and people say how much better they are than me. It enables my mental illness, and it is discrimination. I don't join social cliques and K5 the cesspit doesn't really like me that much anyway. By ublockhead's logic if the cesspit doesn't like me that much, I should be a great guy superstar here.

If you have to ask why I left here, some users became elitist snobs and formed cliques and picked on a bullied other users.

Del is just offering some competition using his neutral Michael Crawford themed BBS. Even Michael Crawford left Husi and hangs out at Kuro5hin for some reason. But the BBS has Tradewars and LORD and can have other BBS games added. Seeing if Husi can beat Kuro5hin in Tradewars would be good, unless there is a lack of players from Husi. Like a game of Cricket or whatever.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
So what you are saying... by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #103 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:30:03 PM EST
Is that you have the right to demand I play with you and if I refuse, I'm the bastard?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Nope not at all by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #108 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:59:52 PM EST
you have the right to refuse to play. Nobody is forcing you to play. As I said a simple no would have sufficed. What you did was bully Del for 20+ comments and then had your friends join in on some social clique dogpile on Del. How dare he invite Husi members to a Tradewars game, let's gang up on him! If you have to ask it makes you the bastard because you are acting like a bastard.

It is not about refusing Trade wars, others here refused and that was the end of it. You instead just bullied Del and brought in your social clique to beat him up some more and defend your right to be a bastard. I really don't see how you refuse to say that, even when you admitted you were a "little bit harsh on Del" and at least you admit to the truth there a bit but grossly understated it.

sure. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #112 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 02:37:09 PM EST
his friends are people he already knows and likes who happen to play in the cesspit.

that's different from someone for whom all he knows about them is that they play in the cesspit.

the last person who invited me to something by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #82 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:44:51 PM EST
(who wasn't my husband) invited me to a fabulous planned thanksgiving party. i accepted on the spot. :)

but ... he was someone i've been developing a friendship with for some weeks. an invitation from a random stranger is likely to get a more guarded reaction, because i barely have enough time for work/relationship/existing friends, as it is.

A simple no would have worked by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #98 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 05:54:56 PM EST
nobody is forcing anyone to play Tradewars. But Prejudging Del based on your past failed relationships is no excuse for allowing ublockhead to attack Del and then defend ublockhead for acting like a douche-bag. It is like rewarding ublockhead for putting a turd in the punch bowl and then rewarding ublockhead again for putting a turd on the coffe table, then attacking Del by saying "well ublockhead has friends" when he says "but ublockhead is laying turds everywhere, all over my diary."

I am beginning to think Husi is more like a "Lord of the Flies" society getting rid of the Simon and Piggy people. British boys ought to know better, you know.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
It is a clique by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #60 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:26:41 PM EST
you just refuse to admit you are still living your high school fantasy with friends who you never see but communicate with on Husi, the rest of us grew up but not you.

You are like those Star Trek fans, still living in their mother's basements since high school with the same friends, no job, and thinking you are superior to everyone else.

You know what William Shatner says:

Get a Life!

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
never see? (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #61 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:29:04 PM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Just admit it by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #67 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:27:26 AM EST
you don't want to be a loser in Tradewars because you know you will lose the game. Yeah Rusty is very active in the game and owns people, he'd own you too and take your planets and other stuff and brag about it.

Everything else you go offtopic about. Kuro5hin isn't that bad, I've been there and the worst that can happen is zero bombing of your comments or being added to the Blastar be gone script to use Greasemonkey to hide your diaries, comments, and stories. Kinda time next to seeing a picture of a tiger if you know what I mean Vern!

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
i used to have regular parties by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #75 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:08:52 PM EST
at which numerous husites would be in attendance.

i'm reasonably certain most husites if passing through my current hometown, would try and arrange a drink.

Honestly by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #77 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:14:33 PM EST
The biggest blocker in my life from socializing with more husites in person is family.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
he's said nothing about disgust by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #74 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:07:26 PM EST
and a lot about indifference.

indifference and disgust, they're not the same.

You don't care by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #49 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:54:38 PM EST
about Husi, yet you use it anyway. You care about Husites and I am one, but you don't care about me. In fact you most likely don't care about some Husities and some that you do care but not as much as some more you care more for but less than some others you could care less about and half as much as those you say you care for but don't and apparently don't want to see rude so you say you care about them all.

Shoot I'd post a picture but this system does not seem to work in Firefox. I got the user files uploaded from long ago here. I chose the <<Comment button and nothing happens after choosing the picture. Did they disable it on my account or break Javascript with Firefox? Husi the Internet Explorer friendly Scoop site. We break Firefox.

Husi by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #53 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:07:59 PM EST
Do I care about the building I hang out with friends in?  Or do I care about the friends?

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
based on your logic and attitude by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #93 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 04:36:54 PM EST
you wouldn't care about the building or friends, lead them to a old building about to collapse and then laugh as they all die as the building comes down.

I not only care about my friends, but also what building they are in. I would not let them get into an old abandoned building that would fall down on them.

Del was honest, offered a friendly competition. You wrote like 20 posts attacking him, saying how much you don't care. Most people who don't care just don't post and ignore it and move on. You on the other hand just have to keep bullying people. It is not that you don't want to make new friends, but more like you know you are a sociopath and bully and cannot make new friends so you hang on to your old friends and control them so they won't leave you.

If you have to attack Del's diary and recruit your toadies to do more of the same from your social clique then you can torpedo his Tradewars offer and control even more by zeroing Del's comments and comments in this diary using your trusted user status. Might as well then move this diary to the hole, eh?

Toadies? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #100 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:17:51 PM EST
Hahahahaha

Anyway, I didn't zero anything, nor do I give a good goddamn who else plays tradewars, nor with whom.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Prove it then by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #105 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:49:56 PM EST
drop the whole thing. If you don't want to play, just say so. Don't get all dramatic on it and bully Del and then have your friends/toadies (whatever you want to call them) defend you and your right to be a douche-bag about it.

If I was your friend, I'd tell you to drop it, it ain't worth it. Nothing to prove and it only makes you look bad by pursuing it. If any of these friends of yours were true friends they'd do the same.

See this... by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #106 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:54:03 PM EST
Is the sort of behavior that makes me not want to deal with Kurobots.
What? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #110 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 08:04:37 PM EST
Someone asks you to drop it, be the better man, stop the bullying and just give it a rest? That is the behavior that does not want you to deal with Kurobots? I am not a Kurobot by the way they don't like me any more than you.

What makes you think you got a right to bully people and abuse your relationships with others to dogpile on those different than you? Like I said if you where not a bully you'd have dropped it, but you didn't. You got to get the last word in don't you?

Like I said already drop it. You don't want to play Tradewars, that is alright with me. Again nobody is forcing you. I really don't care if you play Tradewars or not honestly. I'm just calling you on your BS once again. You've done nothing but prove me right time after time.

toadies? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #113 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 02:46:21 PM EST
that's kind of amusing.

the fact that you would jump to that assertion is, I think, part of the problem many people have with you.

Problem? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #116 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 04:32:55 PM EST
What problem is that? Since I am not part of the social clique and never will be, since I refuse to be a toadie, I guess then your social clique has a problem with me, eh?

Answer by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #117 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 04:54:49 PM EST
"why would i bother toadying? why would this site be important enough to me to toady?"

To manipulate and control others. To stick up for your members of the social clique and refuse to let any others join that social clique. To take it out on people like me who don't fit in because I am different somehow due to a mental illness, or Del because he is a noob here and is trying to fit in. To impress ublockhead and other members of your clique.

If you are still clueless, I doubt that you are, I got a video for you to watch:
www.youtube.com/watch

And another one:

www.youtube.com/watch

Social Cliques are a problem even with adults:
www.ravenwerks.com/leadership/tribal-warfare-dealing-with-cliques-in-the-workplace/

Even adults are cyberbulies:

www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.html

My problem isn't with you or ublockhead per se but more towards the way you treat others not in your social clique. You think Kuro5hin has it, but Husi has it worse than Kuro5hin. You think you are better, superior, infalliable, untouchable, can do anything you want and get away with it, heck some of you even have editor power here. All it has done is chased away users who could have contributed to this site and helped out, and you could have had friends and better things to talk about. But instead you form social cliques and consider yourselves the elites.

You real problem with me, as you and others have said, is that I don't do society a favor and kill myself. I've been told to kill myself in obvious ways and subtle ways as well. I don't fit your social clique and never will.

Ultimately by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #120 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 08:38:21 AM EST
It's not that you're not in my clique, it's that you're a dumbass.

By your definition by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #122 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 09:26:28 PM EST
anyone not in your clique is a dumbass.

I have an IQ of 189 BTW. Nice try.

I'm smart by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #125 Fri Oct 07, 2011 at 08:20:55 AM EST
Just ask me.

My sister had a 2nd grade student that insisted that too.  Sorry, dude, but actions speak louder than words.

And for the record, there are plenty of people outside my clique that I don't consider a dumbass.  You're actually in fairly small company there.

I never said you weren't by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #127 Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 09:49:55 AM EST
but you seem to confuse my mental illness for me being a dumbass. I am not falling for that one.

I don't do well socially because my schizoaffective disorder is worse than asperger's syndrome in that respect. I got friends, but they know better than to be here at Husi or Kuro5hin. I got a few people I talk to that are only online and not in email that could be friends.

I guess that you just don't know enough about my mental illness to judge my intelligence. You have to resort to name calling like a second grader, eh?

er? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #121 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 10:35:25 AM EST

I find it highly improbable that I've ever said such a thing. It's possible, I suppose, in that I don't remember everything I've ever written, but it's so far out of character and so inconsistent with my general worldview that it would be astonishing if it were true.

Link for proof or retraction, please.

It was in email by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #123 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 09:28:10 PM EST
so I cannot link to it. Either it was you or someone spoofing you, and it was many years ago. It was a reason why I left Husi.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
I'm fairly certain it wasn't me. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #124 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 09:47:58 PM EST
I cannot imagine a circumstance in which I would say to anyone that I thought they should kill himself.

I can also certainly see why someone saying that to you would cause you to leave.

Well someone did by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #126 Sat Oct 08, 2011 at 09:34:10 AM EST
I had many of those emails in 2004. It lead to my suicide attempt in November 2004 and the K5 diary that got my account deleted at K5.

I get that a lot in email or sometimes people post it to my comments or diary.

OK by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 05:14:00 AM EST
How does it work?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Well there are some instructions by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:47:46 AM EST
here:

And of course there is the game itself.  I'd assumed that people would be familiar with it, but I can create another instance of the game, say a test area that gets zapped in a semi regular basis...

You can sign in @ oggfrog.net (either telnet or use the flash terminal program on the web page) but of course do *NOT* use any password that works here or anywhere else.

Maybe by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 07:55:30 AM EST
Mr huilver could install an online game onto Husi, so we could play and watch on-site.....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
That would be entirely up to Huilver by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:03:34 AM EST
But the way we worked it, is that I just posted daily scores.

Don't sue me bro!

would be up for some kind of game by TPD (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:37:40 AM EST
as long as the participation per day was fairly low, not got time for much, never played trade wars how active do you have to be?

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
you don't have to be logged in 24x7 by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 08:54:40 AM EST
Don't forget this game was built in the BBS era where some boards only allowed a SINGLE person to be dialed in at a time.  Currently I can handle 10 users at a time, but I can always increase it as needed.

You can spend I guess a few minutes to maybe 30 or so a day... You don't have to play it every day, but naturally the more often the better well more so initially.

discovery is key at the start of the game, since you will not know where the stardock is.  Earth is always in sector 1.  The computer can find its way around... I was hoping that some kind of team play would foster at least some kind of team skills on either side.  Not that I'd expect anything between sites but hell the lost children of scoop should have *something* in common, no?

You could even download the software yourself and run it, as long as you can run MS-DOS executables with something that is at least 80286 compatable... which in this day & age shouldn't pose too much of a challenge...

Don't sue me bro!

Tradewars software by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #51 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:02:19 PM EST
You can find it currently at EIS www.eisonline.com/

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
yeah he happily took my registration $$ by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #62 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:34:04 PM EST
then banned me... sigh it is a popular game, but the guy behind it is a dick.

Banned you? by ucblockhead (3.00 / 1) #64 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:22:11 PM EST
Clearly I was correct in my original impression that I wanted to nothing to do with this.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My impression already is by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #65 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:49:24 PM EST
that you do, but please I don't want you to.  You've made your unwelcome perfectly clear.

Please stop.

You are not anyones friend, so stop pretending to do so.

In your 30 comments you've made it clear how much you do not care, but please would you just stop carring and care somewhere else?  All your negativity just ruins it for those that do care.  I know you want to just troll away cause fights, and prove to everyone that you aren not behaving like a highschooler with no friends, but we get 'it' now just stop before your further embarass yourself.

"we"? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 1) #66 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:54:11 PM EST
You brought someone with you?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yeah yur mom, lol! by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #69 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:30:53 AM EST
U MAD BRO?

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
He's got plenty of friends here. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #72 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 09:54:21 AM EST
Just so you know.

sockpuppets don't count by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #73 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 09:57:08 AM EST

But your highschool clique is quite amusing.

*laugh* by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #76 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:14:10 PM EST
you probably ought to listen to the natives's self-description of their relationships rather than assuming them to be lying.
So that makes you the "me too" by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #83 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:15:33 PM EST
to the big dog.

Kind of funny actually.

*laugh* by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #84 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:28:21 PM EST
who's the 'big dog'? aside from hulver and theophile escargot, i don't think this is obvious in any way.

rushing in with judgment before bothering to perceive is a bad way to make friends. but: if it's working for you, have fun. :)

I'm the big dog here. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #118 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 12:10:06 AM EST
I think that's always been obvious.

/s/friends/toadies by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #94 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 04:39:06 PM EST
I see you made a spelling mistake there. Bullies and sociopaths think they have friends, what they have instead is toadies.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
I stuck up for him without denigrating Del G by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #96 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 05:21:58 PM EST
Which I don't think is the behaviour of a toadie.

But feel free to call me a toadie. No matter how much you do it, I still won't be one.

Uh let me see by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #97 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 05:39:09 PM EST
Del got attacked and ripped into by ublockhead. A true friend would say "Ublockhead, I think you are treating Del unfairly. All he wants is to offer a Tradewars game. As your friend I advise you to drop it as it just adds noise to the discussion." while a toadie would just stick up for ublockhead no matter how big a douche-bag ublockhead becomes.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Concern trolling about unfriendliness here by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #99 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 06:27:23 PM EST
is unwelcome.

Thanks for your understanding.

Trolling about unfriendliness here by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #104 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:47:02 PM EST
is unwelcome. I was not trolling at all, all I did was state facts and cite examples. Ublockhead is acting like a douche-bag and I called him on it. Then you defended him for being a douche-bag by saying "he has friends". I mean seriously, WTF? Sure he has the personality of a serial killer and all the charm of a tiger in a cage, but he got friends. Sure he does not understand the difference between an honest invitation and a troll, but he got friends. Sure he's a sociopath and a bully but he got friends.

I got by content of character, btw and also the content of character of friends. MLK Jr. taught me that.

*laugh* by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #115 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 02:48:49 PM EST
"he has friends here" is a totally reasonable response to the comment "you're not anyone's friend."

here's what i think you miss there by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #114 Wed Oct 05, 2011 at 02:48:00 PM EST
a true friend would only say that if he thought ucblockhead were adding noise to the discussion.

since i thought ucblockhead was stating a fairly common sentiment, i don't believe that, so i'd have no reason to say that.

although at this point i think i'm in agreement with heinlein about wrestling pigs.

They banned you? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #68 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:30:02 AM EST
In 2005 they named me runner up to most improved player of the year. I never got banned on EIS' forum, they love me there. I only left because I got too sick to play Tradewars anymore. I made an exception for your BBS Del, because I think we can be friends even if we got off to a rough start on K5 those years ago. My fault really, my mental illness gets out of control sometimes.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
yeah apparently the source code by Del Griffith (2.00 / 0) #71 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 09:38:53 AM EST
is out there for all the early versions as the first programmers were all into sharing the source...  So just by asking any questions about it got me banned.  I figure they don't want players looking at the last public release of the pascal source and updating/fixing it themselves....

In a way I thought tw was a good fit for k5/husi as there is a lot of hazing and pressure to not accept new people but I guess the pressure here to not join is overwhelming.  But that is what social cliques are all about.

I appreciate the signup, but don't push yourself too hard... Afterall it is only a game! :)

Actually by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #89 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 02:53:42 PM EST
TW2002 TWGS is in Delphi and the old TW2002 Gold for BBSes was in Turbo Pascal. TW2002 did not release the source code even if it was based on Classic Tradewars that did release a BASIC and later Turbo Pascal source code. I think Gary and Maryann Martin did the original TW2002 and sold it to EIS that did the TW2002 Gold stuff.

Yeah I asked questions on how the cargo holds, fighters, and shields prices changed over time based on the date, they got mad at me. Didn't ban me though. Said I should be able to figure it out, etc.

OOII by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 09:48:08 AM EST
or space dynasty. I never got into tradewars..

I suppose it can't be any worse than by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:22:24 AM EST
TEOS...  What a snoozefest that turned out to be.

Sure n/t by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #20 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:21:01 AM EST

"So I will be hitting the snatch hard, I think, tonight." - gzt
Here's a better game: by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #26 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:28:53 AM EST
It's like this, everyone interested in playing replies to this comment with their name and ip address. Whoever has the biggest ip wins!

sounds terribly boring. by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:30:45 AM EST
besides if you are that worried there *ARE* proxies and things you can telnet out of.

Don't sue me bro!

I'm going to lose by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #28 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:04:56 PM EST
My IP is 10.0.0.1

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I'm affraid so. by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #29 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:07:10 PM EST

Microsoft(R) Windows NT(TM)
(C) Copyright 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows NT IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter DC21X41:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.131.74
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.131.254

C:\>

Don't sue me bro!

I saw your diary over there first ... by me0w (4.00 / 2) #30 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:11:38 PM EST
And left a comment.

don't sit on the fence! by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 12:14:58 PM EST

I replied over there...

But why sit on the fence, if you don't want to take sides, take your own side!

Don't sue me bro!

Other game suggestions by Herring (3.33 / 3) #32 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 01:03:51 PM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Drinking sounds fun by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #33 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 01:06:00 PM EST
and tastes better.

Why would I? by ucblockhead (1.00 / 1) #34 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 02:53:30 PM EST
I play games for fun with people I like to interact with.  I don't give a good goddamn about which silly little internet sites think they are "better".  That's the behavior of insecure children.

By all means, brag all you want about what site is better.  I don't give a fuck.

holy crap. by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #36 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:04:58 PM EST
it's a game... really I get the 'rage' and all that but really it isn't like it is manditory I was just proposing something.

Really is this proposal such a horrible thing?

Do you guys never play games beyond hulver.com? Not even chess or blackjack?

damn dude, like chill...

You misread by ucblockhead (1.00 / 1) #38 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:40:12 PM EST
I only play games with friends.

You aren't "friends".  Most of the people on Husi are.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

you clearly aren't winning any new ones. by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #40 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 03:45:11 PM EST

And you are probably embarassing your existing ones.

Or is this how you treat people who invite you to things?

Don't sue me bro!

YOUR PRESENCE DEFILES THE INSULARIUM by ammoniacal (3.33 / 3) #45 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 04:56:50 PM EST

how ironic. by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #47 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 06:01:52 PM EST
I like cats too.  Is it caturday already?

Don't sue me bro!

Let me try this by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #55 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:13:12 PM EST
Guess what nobody cares

The user files thing is broken in Firefox, I got to use the Husi icons and copy and paste the URL to insert a picture and have it work now. But now that I know, I too can post pictures.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
I think I can too.... by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #57 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:19:09 PM EST
I care.

I care, FWIW.  But it seems the pictuer may work...? I'm using IE 5.5sp2 on NT 4.0 ... I figured anything scoop related will need something.. vintage.

Don't sue me bro!

(Comment Deleted) by Del Griffith (2.00 / 1) #63 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 11:03:54 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by Del Griffith

Yeah great thing eh? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #70 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:33:11 AM EST
Kuro5hin cannot do it as Jason or NWIS will just post Rustina everywhere. They did some dupe bombings here thus the new users get limited access because of them. Suicide troll bombings and now the hole is hidden to noobs and other restrictions.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Eliteist snobs here by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #54 Mon Oct 03, 2011 at 10:09:42 PM EST
forming their own social kliq and refusing to let anyone new join. Reminds me of why I left and why I had considered K5 over Husi. It is like the movie "Mean Girls" which I never saw, but I know how it works. Basically people who think they are better than the rest, form with their own friends with like interests and then shut everyone else out and say how annoying or how stupid or how boring they are. All the while being hypocrites and going for that cool image like the emo kids do now and the goth kids did back then not knowing how it ruins their own lives and shuts out people.

But hey if they feel better by feeling superior to everyone else and living in a fantasy world, I guess it is their choice.

While Kuro5hin may be too Ghetto for them, they know that playing against K5 in Tradewars would be like playing against the Harlem Globetrotters in Basketball.

on the contrary by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #78 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:15:15 PM EST
new people join periodically, and it's not a problem, unless they come in proclaiming "I'M NOT ONE OF YOU, WOULD YOU PLEASE PLAY WITH ME?"
I GET IT by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #85 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:28:21 PM EST

YOU AND YOUR OWNER DON'T GO OUTSIDE OF YOUR CLIQUE. OK I THINK AFTER 30+ POSTS WE GET IT.

So just ignore me, or come up with a creative insult.  All this trying to justify your odd behaviour really isn't interesting.

*laugh* by aphrael (1.00 / 1) #86 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:49:13 PM EST
that's a bizarrely inappropriate charge to be flinging right now, when i'm living in a new city and meeting new people regularly. and having them over for dinner. not to mention drooling over some of them.
So basically what you are saying by Del Griffith (4.00 / 1) #87 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 01:59:35 PM EST
is that you can treat others with respect and dignity, while you cannot do the same for me.

I hope you've at least snapped at one of them for giving a passing invite to something you had no interest in.  Or at least bitched them out for an hour or two.

Don't sue me bro!

how have i failed to treat you with respect? by aphrael (1.00 / 1) #88 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 02:13:29 PM EST
i have neither snapped at you nor bitched you out; i jumped in originally to observe that 'disgust' and 'indifference' are different emotions which you seem to have confused, and then to defend a friend of mine against what seemed to be unwarranted attacks.
What ublockhead? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #90 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 02:56:33 PM EST
He attacked Del from what I read, said he didn't care and kept writing posts about how much he didn't care and what he could to insult Del because Del talked about K5. If he doesn't care he should just drop it and quit making stupid posts as that animated GIF says.

Well by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #79 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 12:17:43 PM EST
I've been told I many be being a little to hard on you.

I've still no interest in joining a game with a random k5er, but yeah, if you posted here for a while without insulting people, or generally acting like you want to turn it into the k5 diary troll-fest then yeah, that could change.

It's just usually when someone pops over from k5, they're more intent on calling people names and causing trouble.  (And it's fascinating that it's always people from there popping up here, and not vice versa.)

Why not try just acting like a normal user here?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Why don't you by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #95 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 04:45:41 PM EST
he didn't attack anyone in his diary and was nice about it. Then you decided to troll him and would not stop. You are the one who turned it into a flame war, and got your toadies to join in. You are the one that started it.

A little hard on Del? That is an understatement, you are a bully to Del. You run your own social clique and are an elitist snob. You never gave Del a chance and kept attacking him, and only now do you write "I've been told I many be being a little to hard on you." (SIC)

Act like a normal user? What is normal for Husi anyway? Bite the noob seems normal, writing 20+ posts attacking the user and telling him/her how much you don't care seems normal. Getting into a flamewar over the mention of a friendly challenge seems normal. Crapflooding the diaries with "I don't care" comments seem normal? You think K5 is bad, but from what I just saw from you, Husi is even worse.

Bully? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #101 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:21:59 PM EST
I merely said I didn't want to play with him and why.
Nope by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #107 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 07:55:20 PM EST
if you did that it would only be one comment. Let me give you an example:

"Sorry Del, I don't feel like playing Tradewars. I don't know how and I just don't like playing against strangers. Thank you for the invitation but I'll just say no."

Then that makes perfect sense, it is not a douche-bag action, not words of a bully, and it is very civilized. But what you did was the compete and total opposite. You did personal attacks, you prejudged him, you ranted and raved for 20+ comments. At first I thought maybe you were afraid of losing, but then it sort of turned into bullying and then when you couldn't fight your own battles you recruited friends/toadies and they jumped in and defended your right to be a bully. "Well he got friends."

Like I said if you don't want to play just drop it. If you want to prove beyond a reasonable doubt what a bully you are, then by all means don't drop it and keep writing comments and personal attacks. I call it as I see it ublockhead, your content of character is not too good.

I am not defending Del, I am calling you on your BS.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Bored with you now. (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #109 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 08:00:50 PM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Don't go away mad by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #111 Tue Oct 04, 2011 at 08:06:02 PM EST
just go away. I hope you drop it now so we can quit this game of ping pong in which you keep dropping the ball.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
I think you started a little harsh. by gzt (4.00 / 3) #119 Thu Oct 06, 2011 at 12:14:56 AM EST
But, yeah, the reaction your harshness got was a little off. "roffle doffle high school clique" etc etc. if the response had been, "okay, whatevs, here's my diary detailing how to log on to my BBS," my thoughts would have been, "what an eccentric fellow, he's interested in a game I don't care about. well, good for him." now, it's, "friggin' k5er."

Greetings Husiites. | 126 comments (126 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback