Print Story HuSi: I hat abandoned thee
By Tonatiuh (Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 07:52:47 PM EST) (all tags)
Is that actually grammatically correct?

Just wanted to say I am alive. ALIVE!

In short, this is what has happened since my last diary:

• I was in China (Beijing, Xian, Shanghai).
  • I was in France and Italy (Paris,Florence and surrounding area, Milan).
  • I trained for the Royal Parks Half Marathon in all those places, including a merciless run in Florence ("assessino" was the description of the curse by an Italian gentleman) to commemorate Italy's unification and walking up the stairs of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Ran the half marathon (running, non stop, very pleased with result).
  • Watched movies in the London Film Festival (only what was left after advanced members booking since I could not book early from China. Grrr).
  • Packed baggage for trip back home. I am flying tomorrow, er, today a bit later.
I shall expand on all this later, hopefully.
< Lol Linux | Oi Vey >
HuSi: I hat abandoned thee | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
"hat" is a noun. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 07:56:11 PM EST
I think perhaps you meant "I had abandoned thee," which is perfectly grammatical (if a bit antique, because "thou" is rarely heard in common speech nowadays).

Welcome back. Safe travels, post when you can.

Thanks :-) [n/t] by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 08:04:52 PM EST

"Hath", but it's third-person by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 08:06:01 PM EST
not first-person.

archaic grammar by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 09:26:57 PM EST
this has the rules.

Essentially it is "I had", "thou hast", "he hath", "we had", "ye had", "they had".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

And remember how "ye" is pronounced by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 02:20:16 AM EST
The "y" was due to people not knowing how to write a thorn (þ), and in this context "the" as an article could be used as a generic pronoun that referred to some specific thing, roughly equivalent to "this."

busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution
Officially yes by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 03:55:17 AM EST
But in some dialects of hiberno english it has genuinely come to mean you plural and pronounced as written, as gaelic has this you plural construct and english doesn't. Example:

"Are ye not done with that yet?"

See my otehr comment. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 09:33:48 AM EST
He's wrong in this context - "ye" as noted above is second person plural, which is, indeed, pronounced "ye" and survives in some dialects, as you note in your own post.

In the context noted... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 09:32:51 AM EST
...it's pronounced "ye" because it's second person plural, not an article.

Oops, you're right (nt) by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 05:12:49 PM EST
no no no. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 09:36:37 AM EST
past tense is
I had
thou hadst (really)
he had (always)
etc

(Comment Deleted) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 10:04:50 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ucblockhead

(Comment Deleted) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 26, 2011 at 10:05:30 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ucblockhead

obl mr. goat by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 02:19:10 PM EST
The top hat has never abandoned thee.

Glad to see you're trip went well!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Did you make it to La Scala? n/t by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 03:10:50 PM EST

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Yes! by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 11:28:17 AM EST
Saw Rosenkavalier with lovely Joyce Di Donato.

HuSi: I hat abandoned thee | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback