Print Story I made a wish .... to see more meteors
Space
By Oberon (Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 04:29:01 PM EST) orion, meteor, orionid (all tags)
Inside, a massive page-widening possible Orionid picture! With Orion, for reference. The maybe-meteor is in the bottom left.

I say possible Orionid as most photos of meteors seem to look more needle-like. I don't think I actually saw this one as it happened, I was scanning the sky more generally while the camera did its thing. Anybody know enough about this to venture an opinion?

Taken on a 15s exposure, camera propped on a park bench -- I don't have a tripod unfortunately.

Update [2011-10-24 12:23:9 by ana]: Edited to add: After playing with the photo a bit , I think the camera must have moved. The "meteor" is actually just a trail from a star as the camera moves. Increasing the contrast of the image, I can see fainter, but otherwise identical trails from the other stars.

< Books I've Read This Year 2011 | WFC XI: The Council of Judgement >
I made a wish .... to see more meteors | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Neat! by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 05:54:47 PM EST
Nice smoke trail; I'd guess you got one. Kind of zooms along at more or less constant brightness and then burns out with a bit of a flash or something. And it's coming from the direction of Orion.

Nice! by technician (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 06:24:02 PM EST
Very, very cool picture.

I just recently saw a meteor that broke int a very bright cluster...bright enough to see the smoke trail. Love fall mornings here just for the clarity of the atmosphere (compared to our usual muggy soup).

Huh by Oberon (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 02:40:26 AM EST

How now, mad spirit?
And as it happens by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 01:24:30 PM EST
That's exactly the same spot Sirius is in. Bummer.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

At least I spotted it before anyone else did by Oberon (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 01:40:17 PM EST
The one thing worse than admitting your mistake, is having someone else point it out ....

I'm not too bothered, I must have seen a few dozen meteors in the space of half an hour. It would have been nice to have a photo, but never mind.

How now, mad spirit?
.... also .... by Oberon (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 02:41:45 AM EST
If somebody could edit the summary to reflect the above, I'd be grateful.

How now, mad spirit?