Print Story Son, my laptop isn't working, can you take a look?
Help!
By anonimouse (Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 05:47:51 AM EST) (all tags)
This is one of those "You work with computers, don't you? Do you think you can fix my PC?" stories

Or a story of one mans journey to hell, expressed in emoticons

"Ok, mom, I'll try and fix it..."

Symptoms:
The keyboard only responds slowly and occassionally to input. Mouse is fine.

Attempts to resolve:
Go into Control panel. Check and change keyboard repeat rate. No effect.
Remove and reinstall keyboard driver. No effect.
Ensure Antivirus software is bang up to date and run full scan of computer. No effect.

Fuck this!!

Back up user partition onto pen drive and reinstall from Manufacturers install.
Commence reinstall of Win XP SP 3 (yes its old) plus 100 patches over network
At some point I find that teh keyboard is screwed again

Repeat above cycle 3 times at about 3-4 hours at a pop, trying different patch install order.
Same result

Go browsing on teh internet. Find obscure article that says that weird things can happen to your PC if the battery is dead, even if it is connected to mains.
Remove laptop battery, connect to mains

**System works fine**
Reinstall user data off pen drive

I'm now desperate for a drink but I've just had to renew my antibiotics subscription because my illness has been improved but not gone, and both the doctor and pharmacist independently said no alcohol till 3 days after the end of the course.

13 days and counting....

< A Project | It's like a hammer >
Son, my laptop isn't working, can you take a look? | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow. by technician (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 09:26:26 AM EST
Goddamn, I hate stuff like that. One of the things with newer Dell laptops is, they have a driver of sorts that looks at battery lifetime and condition. It'll fuck with all sorts of things.

On the plus side, you solved it! Part of troubleshooting is trouble. The shooting comes later.

Thankyou by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 02:15:46 PM EST
Cost of replacement laptop battery is probably more than the machine is worth. Anyone want a 30GB AMD Sempron Laptop....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I'd take it... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 06:50:07 PM EST
...but the postage to mail it here is probably more than it's worth.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Also, by technician (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 08:19:00 PM EST
I have a D630 that you can use. It's running some flavor of Ubuntu at the moment, and seems to work.

I like my D630 by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 10:41:15 PM EST
except for the stupid-ass WiFi problem it's having that nobody can figure out.
---------
Does it have the Intel wifi card? by technician (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 18, 2011 at 09:48:44 AM EST
If not, get an Intel 51xx wifi card. I've never had a problem with that card....also removing the Dell apps helps.

nope, broadcom by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 18, 2011 at 09:57:08 PM EST
that's what it came with and I doubt I'd be allowed to get a different one (work laptop). It worked fine til I put win7 on the laptop, since the D630 wasn't really made for that, and now it seems to work on all wireless I've tried EXCEPT at home, but every other device regardless of OS seems to work fine on the home wireless, and we can't figure out which is to blame or what the hell to tweak to fix it.
---------
One of my users by technician (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 04:11:11 PM EST
had to remove every defined network, then all devices, then re-add devices and find the networks again to get his D630 wifi to work with win7.

I just reimaged... by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 19, 2011 at 09:26:57 PM EST
which probably amounts to the same thing. It works at work...at Perkins...at hubby's office...just not at our house. At our house, the router will route for his laptop, our desktop, my iPhone, and any computer that a visitor might bring. It'll even let me connect to any computer on our home network, it just won't let me out to the internet.
---------
In another planet.... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Nov 15, 2011 at 12:12:48 PM EST
Mom: computer is complaining about hard disk I don't know what, can you fix it?

Me: Yep (looks at screen, Ubuntu wants manual fsck, proceed in consequence). "Mom, the message is gone" (proceed to update packages, it has been one year after all).

Mom: thanks, why is it that my friends need their computers fixed every month or so but not mine?

Me: it is Linux mum, Linux.

Mom: can my friends buy it? Is it an antivirus?