Print Story And that is that.
By blixco (Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 10:32:13 AM EST) (all tags)
 Rest in peace, uncle Art.

The horror of the speed and fury of this goddamned evil fucking disease is only surpassed by the slow, casual path it sometimes takes. His pain was brief. He's donating his body to science, something that my family has known since the 70s...he and his wife made arrangements and my mom was the witness for it.

I have no information about any ceremonial activities, and haven't heard from my mother yet. I assume she is in deep shock still. I'll hopefully hear about the service before it happens (communication in my family isn't great, especially with us outliers). Need to buy my brother a plane ticket and get across Texas myself.

There's this song...I turn to music for everything, I don't have a God...there's a song that, the chorus is "You are not alone in this." If my cousin knows one thing for sure, it is that the family as a whole has stood there with him, and been there with him while he waited out his father's pain.

So, the long now. The knowledge that a man who helped shape not just my life or any single life but the lives of an entire family is gone. Gone, and carried forward in our stories. In the end, it's all stories.
< back to work | 2011-01-19 >
And that is that. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hug by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 10:51:15 AM EST
i'm sorry for your loss

My sympahties by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:11:06 AM EST
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.  Thinking about you.

Gedvondur

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
RIP by hulver (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:11:12 AM EST
Sorry for your loss.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
i'm sorry. by clock (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:16:10 AM EST
there aren't words.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

There are! by blixco (4.00 / 6) #7 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:45:35 AM EST
There are, there always will be. It's all stories.

For instance, here's the thing:

When I was a kid...this was between the ages of, oh, born and maybe 11...we had these big family Christmas parties. Christmas eve, every year, we'd meet at my aunt and uncle's house. With six siblings in my mom's family and all their kids, and with my dad's parents (when my mom and dad were still married), we'd have maybe 40 people (friends, some extended family, etc). We'd have food, and we'd exchange gifts. The aunts and uncles would put all the kids names into a hat at the end of each year, and they'd draw names, so each kid had a different aunt or uncle giving them stuff each year.

At every family gathering, not just at Christmas but at every single family gathering, Art would give all the kids silver dollars. I had a collection of probably 30 Eisenhower silver dollars from the various times he'd show up. He'd just slide it into your hand, magic-like. No idea why. Never said why. No reason needed, I guess. We just all got silver dollars. Except one year he gave us all $2 bills because that was just strange.

So Art, he's this fun loving guy. Always had a smile. Always. I don't think I ever saw him when he wasn't about to laugh. Even when he was stern...he'd follow up with a joke. And he had a Monty Python sense of humor, despite being a redneck from west Texas. He'd do things just to make people laugh.

In my head, what I picture when I see him is at Christmas, knee deep in family and wrapping paper, three or four sheets to the wind, Santa hat cocked on his head slightly, a little bleary eyed from the smoke and the alcohol and the noise, and he'd give you that look, like you were his very best friend in the entire world. And you'd laugh, because he was laughing.

I suspect he's laughing still. I mean, I know he is...in what I carry forward from here, he will be.

There are always stories.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
agreed. by clock (4.00 / 3) #11 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 12:16:55 PM EST
doesn't everyone need an uncle like that?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Luckily - Yes by Phage (4.00 / 2) #18 Thu Jan 20, 2011 at 05:54:49 AM EST
Malcolm - Goat dairy farmer in NSW Australia. Building an extension to the farmhouse with him was a memory I'll treasure.
(A chainsaw featured heavily.)

Hug. by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:42:45 AM EST
And as clock said, there are not other words.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Sorry. by ReboundRabbit (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:44:56 AM EST

Optional activity: Standing around and enjoying life. -- Jan Gehl (Architect)

Peace be with you by tuscoops (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:50:48 AM EST
A man so great as himself will surely live on in the hearts of many.

You have my sympathy.

RIP Art by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:51:56 AM EST

I am sorry for your loss. by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 11:52:35 AM EST
Condolences.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
So sorry to hear that by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 12:19:55 PM EST
The best anyone can aspire to is to be remembered in family lore.  Clearly Art has well achieved this.

Rest in Peace. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 12:26:41 PM EST
May the stories go on, and may you be a pillar of strength for your mum and cousins. And them vice versa.

The Tyrant grieves with you and your family. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 04:03:26 PM EST
That sucks but at least his pain is over.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Luckily by littlestar (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 05:20:51 PM EST
those stories have power and will carry something on, so something is left here forever. What a gift the he has left. Hugs.
*twinkle*twinkle*

I'm so sorry for such a great loss. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 06:53:25 PM EST
I wish peace for you and your family and everyone he touched, and here's to his stories living on through all of you.
Peace my friend. by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 2) #17 Thu Jan 20, 2011 at 04:50:49 AM EST
Pain is gone for him at least. May that help as a very unfit comfort.

His stories already live on. by grendel (4.00 / 2) #19 Thu Jan 20, 2011 at 09:21:17 PM EST
 Though I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, I remember you telling me about him years ago. Peace to your whole family, brother.

I'm sorry mate. by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #20 Mon Jan 24, 2011 at 09:05:46 AM EST