Print Story more douchenfreude
Latin
By gzt (Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 05:27:28 PM EST) gzt, chess, stuff, simpsons, douchenfreude (all tags)
Ah, douchenfreude: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=9602 Mothering gets slapped around by Science. Ha, "natural" parenting. Actually, this isn't funny, because this nonsense kills people.

Other things that annoy me: people who think vitamin C will cure your cold. It doesn't.

Otherwise, though, I don't have annoyances about health-related stuff, as I'm not even trained in biology, much less medicine. I'm just a math guy who pretends to be a stats guy.

Speaking of pretending to be a stats guy, looks like I'm going to have Adventures in Stochastic Processes. Sounds like an interesting textbook.

So I'm probably going to be playing a bit of chess. Getting some of my old software to work on Vista. I got Convekta's "Total Chess Training" package to work, but "Chess Combination Encyclopedia" just isn't. Oh well. CT Art 3.0 is enough combinations to work through for now. Not too much, since I can't work on the train (yet), can't get to a chess club, and can't count on having 2 unbroken hours very often to play a real game (G/60 is a pretty good time control, G/45 is the lowest acceptable one). Man, if I were still in the college neighborhood, though, I could. Especially since the place the university chess club meets is right by the gym. Two for one, baby. However, I just noticed that there are a three places that have regular tournaments on Saturdays. Like, once per month each. If I had a car, and I'm planning on getting one this year, that wouldn't be hard to get to. And I wouldn't have to be in a club. So, there you go. I think one tournament per month on average would be good, two would be a lot. The most important thing in chess is to play a lot of rated games.

Great point about Real Simpsons vs most recent episode of Fake Simpsons: http://deadhomersociety.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/compare-contrast-marge-and-other-women/

Doctor today. Getting blood drawn wasn't so bad, but peeling off that bandage sucked. It's still smarting 5 minutes later... I peeled it off because moving my arm started peeling it and that smarted, too.

My 14-year-old sister-in-law's boyfriend just sent me a friend request. I guess I met the kid but, well, FFS, everybody knows you're not in it for the long haul and I'm a bit... distant. I guess I might accept, maybe he wants to message me about attending prestigious colleges and getting the hell out of Hickville. I could certainly offer a perspective on that he could not get anywhere else.

< Swine Flu Panic!!!!!!!! | 2010-01-11 >
more douchenfreude | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Grammar FAIL by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 06:49:47 PM EST
Which one's fourteen? S-i-L, or her BF?

You're wrong. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 08:02:55 AM EST
The sentence would not be written any other way.

Incorrect. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 10:07:16 AM EST
"My sister-in-law's 14 year-old boyfriend . . ."

For clarity the modifier is placed adjacent to the word it modifies.

it is in this case. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 10:10:10 AM EST
which is why I'm confused by your attempt at correction.

clarification: by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 10:12:45 AM EST
I don't know or care how old the guy is (actually, according to facebook, because I glanced at it, he's turning 18 this year). I know and care about the sister-in-law's age, and her age definitely indicates the guy won't be in it for the long haul. The sentence was correct and unambiguous.

You emphasized he's a kid, w/o an age reference. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 10:19:13 AM EST
The paragraph only dealt with your s-i-l in a tangential manner. The subject was the BF and while one might assume they are near each other in age, that's not prudent in 2011.

Big Picture, man. Think of your audience.

the word order makes clear... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 10:54:49 AM EST
...whose age it is. the reader should presume the author knows what he's saying.

You left it open to interpretation. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:19:08 AM EST
Was the "kid" 14, or 20? It does make a difference vis-a-vis your complaint.

not particularly by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:40:27 AM EST
the main point here is that the girl is 14, so the whole thing isn't going to last. that he's almost 18, which i don't particularly care about, is information i got when i got home after writing the diary and looking at facebook.

part of it... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 01:33:55 PM EST
...is that I really won't be buggered to notice somebody in such an insignificant relation to me. I can't imagine that I'll care to know who my sister-in-law is dating until she's at least in college and I imagine it was only chance that I met this guy, since he probably won't still be around the next time I'm down there (if he is, it's not guaranteed I'd run into him). I generally wouldn't expect to meet any in-law's dates until they were established enough to be relevant, and, by definition, a fourteen-year-old's boyfriend is not a significant other.

That's likely true. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 06:33:09 PM EST

Bullshit. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:10:44 AM EST
I'd say age disparate relationships of that sort are amongst the rarest they've ever been. Which is a good thing.

Perhaps in the UK. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:14:00 AM EST
It's becoming quite common here.

Interesting by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:28:08 AM EST
As I'm pretty sure 14 year olds are off limits in many places except for holding-hands, and while another 14 year old who has sex with one is not likely to be charged with statutory rape, someone clearly older certainly would be.

I said common, by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 06:27:57 PM EST
not legal.

You missed the shortcut by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 05:12:25 AM EST
I suspect this is one of these things that is illegal as it is taboo, at least when a generation is crossed and the younger party is considered a child or child-like (the age of which is increasing over time/civilisation which has good and bad aspects, but not marrying 14 year old girls off to 40 year old men is not a bad thing).

Taboo + law doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In fact, it probably means it does happen and that is why the law is there (except for naked hiking in Appenzell which has a law but no documented instances so the taboo/outrage was enough). It also means that any time it does happen, it is news/gossip and carries, thus increasing people noting it happens. And now, well, gossip simply travels further, faster. So you see more.

I haven't seen much of it since I moved by lm (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 06:48:21 AM EST
But in the neighborhood I used to live in, it was quite common to see high school girls (14-18 years of age) or even junior high school girls (13 or 14 years of age) with boyfriends that were in their late teens or early twenties.

Of course, this was a neighborhood where the census data from 2000 revealed that more residents never finished high school (1 in 5) than had any sort of college.

Cicero, The Republic
However by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 06:52:34 AM EST
That doesn't cross a generation and if the 15 year olds are not in education, they're not behaving 'childlike' so there's more of a peer thing.

Some do, some don't by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 09:05:11 AM EST
I suppose if you're going for a full twenty years as a generation, most don't. But from twenty-four to junior high, probably counts as a generation in most places.

Cicero, The Republic
Your claim suggests it's increasing. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 12:53:25 PM EST
I suspect that's the recency effect at play.

I doubt it. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 06:31:08 PM EST
I'm seeing fortnightly news reports about teachers of both genders getting caught with their charges and teachers are just the tip of the iceberg.

News doesn't give any indication by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 08:10:17 PM EST
of the prevalence of a given behaviour, merely how much people talk about it.

I have absolutely no interest in how common highly age-disparate or age-inappropriate relationships are, though. I just hate the lazy default assumption that things are getting worse, not backed up with numbers. And I hate it whichever field it crops up in.

"The News" mostly reports what by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 08:44:10 PM EST
the police make available to them, crimes which are reported by the public. I'm sure you're aware that the vast majority of crime goes unreported. That's well-established fact. When I see these reports on a regular basis (booting Florida would solve much of this problem), I know that there's a load of unreported diddling going on.

Meh, well I know you're not hopelessly naïve by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 04:59:12 AM EST
so you're obviously being deliberately obtuse.

The media chooses what police records to report, and always has plenty to choose from. So it can select an agenda which fits the worldview of its readers. Which changes plenty.

The Media, with few exceptions, does not by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 05:09:26 AM EST
whip up these reports out of thin air. Reporters read the police blotters and they leave out cases for a multitude of reasons, but I'm only referring to the cases they *do* report, and there's way too many of those happening. Your age of consent is lower, so naturally, you're going to see fewer instances of teachers being prosecuted for affairs with their charges. Here, however, it's happening far too frequently.

Care to keep a running tally for the next quarter? There's a plethora of news sites out there which keep tabs on this sort of thing, if you still believe it's my imagination.

Of course they're all true. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 07:38:44 AM EST
It's just that the upper limit on how many get reported is always how much space the media wishes to devote to them.

I know enough about how the system works to trust that when they do come to the attention of people with duties of care to the young that they are properly dealt with, and that the balance between invasion of privacy and protection of the vulnerable is pretty well upheld, so why should I care to monitor media reporting of them?

If I wanted to find out the numbers, I'd just look through the crime statistics.

Well, that didn't take long at all! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #30 Sat Jan 15, 2011 at 01:23:30 PM EST
Ms. Stephanie Edwards, 35, of Mayer, Arizona. Arrested January 11, 2011 for sexual contact with two boys, ages 13 and 14.

I'm sure I won't have to wait two weeks for the next incident to happen. You really shouldn't deny that this stuff happens regularly.

WTF by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #31 Sat Jan 15, 2011 at 09:04:45 PM EST
I know exactly how common that shit is.

What I took issue with, repeated for the hard of thinking, is the idea that it's increasing.

Of course it's increasing. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #32 Sat Jan 15, 2011 at 09:33:41 PM EST
And the more that women feel entitled, emboldened and sexually empowered, the more of these incidents we'll see.

reminder by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 11:48:11 AM EST
You're on HuSi. It is getting to the point that people of legal age for everything are still kids to us.

Actually, last I read by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 12, 2011 at 09:19:23 AM EST
There is some weak evidence that a vit-c megadose may very slightly reduce the duration of a cold [citation needed].

Not only a weak evidence... by ReboundRabbit (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 12:05:59 PM EST
And it doesn't need a "megadose"...
Citation: That would be my prof in food chemistry at the Technial University of Berlin. He doesn't have a page number though ... but I am sure he wrote it down somewhere.

Optional activity: Standing around and enjoying life. -- Jan Gehl (Architect)

more douchenfreude | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback