Print Story Things happen.
Zombies
By ana (Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 04:59:23 PM EST) fall down go boom (all tags)
Laptop's back, good as ever.

It's gonna snow.

The Box.

So over xmas break my laptop got slower and slower and the battery got stranger and stranger (going from 20 hours of estimated life to 30 minutes in the space of a few minutes). Long story short, I took it to an Apple Store genius bar in Colorado (thankfully my iPod had enough oomph to make an appointment on the web), and it flunked battery and hard disk tests. Applecare to the rescue; they shipped it off (to Memphis, apparently) to be repaired and thence home (after 4 days of waiting for a part). Got it Friday, spent Friday evening restoring from a backup I'd made Dec 16th, so I only lost a very little that hadn't been posted somewhere in the cloud.

Apparently this snowstorm is for reals, yo. The last few OMGSNOWPOCOLYPSE events have devolved into half an inch of light fluffy stuff. This one: "Commute on Wednesday morning will be very challenging". I know, I shouldn't believe everything I read on the intarwebs. I promise I'll dig carefully. I'm guessing we're not rehearsing Wedesday night, or even going to work on Wednesday. We'll see.

My mother's family has the Box that circulates. When the last of her father's generation left home (in the 1920s), their mother (my great grandmother) started a "family letter", which has circulated among the siblings, and then the cousins, and now the next generation or two, ever since. I seem to have inherited the keeping of the spreadsheet which is the mailing list. Which is interesting because I got skipped this year, what with the person before me going off as a missionary to Haiti and the person before that not knowing who to send it to.

But not to worry, Mom had it when I was visiting over xmas. So I was gonna fix the mailing list, write something, and then laptop fall down go boom. So I finally got to it today. I hope I can actually get it in the mail tomorrow before Bostonia fall down go boom.

If you need me on Wednesday I'll be in my bunk. Or digging, if it ever stops participating. Participling? Atmosphere fall down go boom.
< I wonder why. | Chapter 3 >
Things happen. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That box is a cool idea. by theboz (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 07:32:44 PM EST
I would start one, but I would have no idea what to say that future generations would care about.
- - - - -
The deal is... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 09:40:00 PM EST
you take out your last letter and write a new one, then send it on to the next person. Though I've often wondered what-all has been in the packet in years of old.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

The most mundane often is the most interesting. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jan 16, 2011 at 07:26:35 AM EST
I have a dilapidated piano, it belonged to a German lady, her dad before her and to a German Opera singer before that.

It has a brass plate where the company, no longer in business, boasts about a prize given to them for their craftsmanship.

The piano has a chunk missing in the back, the damage was made by an allied bomb during one of the many raids of Berlin during WWII.

But you would see only a dilapidated piano if you entered my place :-)

You ever see that movie "Big Fish?" by theboz (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jan 16, 2011 at 11:34:45 PM EST
I think that is what future generations would view my depiction of my life.  They probably wouldn't believe some of it, but if they could verify it would turn out to be true, but by then, nobody would care.
- - - - -
No, I havent by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 17, 2011 at 01:45:28 PM EST
I'll add it to my list, sound interesting.

it got down to 40F here... by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 08:31:06 PM EST
...and the people in my office were talking like it was the end of the fucking world.  fuckin' A, people.  fuckin' A.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Once again it'll miss us. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 07:39:56 AM EST
The snow, that is. Atlanta gets half a foot and shuts down, Boston gets a foot, we get bupkis.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You can have ours... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 11, 2011 at 08:19:14 AM EST
We'll have more than plenty, from what I hear.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin