Print Story Poor baby..
Health
By LilFlightTest (Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 03:46:35 PM EST) (all tags)
My poor baby is sick. Damnit. I kind of wish that the walk-in was open today.

He spent the night with my parents so we could go to a party. Mom called at about 11:30pm to ask if the sound he was making was normal for him. Short answer: no. They called me back at 6:30am to tell me he's sick, and we should come take a look at him, because to them he seemed pretty bad.

He did seem pretty bad at first. The longer I held him, though, and he relaxed, we started to see some improvement just because I could fix some of the minor issues that only a mommy can. I don't know what to call this, though. Not a cold, there's no runny nose. No fever. He's very chest-congested, though, and definitely has a sort of bark-y cough. Sort of. It's just every once and awhile, he coughs and it sounds pretty bad when he does. He doesn't want to lay down, but he's exhausted from being up all night.  Occasional sneezes too, but he always does that so I can't tell if it's related. Otherwise, he's acting normal- playing, smiling, etc.

Things that make this hard for me to figure out: He tried a new food yesterday morning. Had more of it early afternoon. This doesn't seem like a food allergy type thing, but IANAD. He's also teething. Mom mentioned that one of his ears seemed sore but it came and went. Teething could do that. But I dunno.

Doc and clinics aren't open today. By the time I remembered they had a Quick Care in WalMart, it was closing. I don't think this is bad enough for a trip to the ER, especially since he doesn't rattle when he breathes or have trouble breathing, and his behavior is otherwise normal for an overtired uncomfortable boy.

I guess all that remains is to watch him and take him to the ER if it gets worse. It seems to get better when he sits up, which makes sense since I always do too when I have chest congestion, but this is my first kid so I'm a little inexperienced here...

< Wot I read in 2010 | Houses >
Poor baby.. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
For babies by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 04:11:40 PM EST
usually what your doctor will look for is a) fever and b) listlessness.

When LO was younger, if she wasn't at her normal activity level, I knew she was sick. Even now if she takes a nap, it usually means she is sick.

You could try sitting in a bathroom with running hot water to see if the steam might help him a little.

He definitely sounds uncomfortable, and it could be cold plus teething. He doesn't have a fever and is acting pretty normally, I would watch but not worry as much.

But hang on Mommy, I know it's painful to watch!

I suspect by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 04:23:06 PM EST
that part of why he seemed so bad with my parents was because he didn't sleep. I can understand that- he's not feeling well, and he's not at home with his mommy and daddy. Because of those things, he wouldn't eat, either. So the first thing I did when I got there was cuddle him, then sit him down and gave him a bottle. He took it from me, though he wouldn't from them. He wasn't acting hungry, but I knew he had to be. He's taking short naps now (again, better than they could get out of him), and I expect him to continue to do that all day, and probably all night too. The plan for the day is to just feed him and get him to sleep as much as possible.
---------
Mind his fluids. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 04:27:07 PM EST
That's crucial. Do you know how to check hydration in babbies?

He's still soaking diapers by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 04:40:13 PM EST
and today he's pretty much refusing solids in favor of bottles. Other indicators tell me he's only very slightly dehydrated, if he is at all.

I haven't actually taken his temp though...but he feels pretty much exactly like he usually does. He's still his cuddly warm self. If he has a fever, it's not much.
---------

is there a nurse line you could call? by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 04:33:59 PM EST
our pediatrician's office has a nurse we can speak with 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, including holidays.  i think our insurance company also has number we can call, too.

but it sounds like you've got things under control for now.

you never feel so helpless as when your little people are sick!

insurance has one by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Jan 01, 2011 at 04:50:40 PM EST
but I didn't call. I was going to, and then realized they'd probably just tell me to take him in, which I don't think is entirely necessary right now. If it gets worse, he gets a fever, has trouble breathing, or pretty much anything else, I won't hesitate to take him, but right now the only thing that differentiates him from any other time he's been tired and uncomfortable is that it sounds bad when he coughs.

but you're right about feeling helpless. When my dad called to tell me I should take him to the doc, I thought it was much worse than it is- my dad is normally the calm one who knows when you need to go, or when it can wait. It's a 30 minute drive out to their house, and I was shaking the whole way. I know that if it was really bad, they'd have taken him to the ER themselves, but still. However- once I got to him, I realized that it wasn't that bad. Half the problem was that he wanted his mommy. He seems much better now that he's home.
---------

One thing... by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Jan 02, 2011 at 07:42:21 AM EST
...that we did wrong once, with Megan, was not aspirating her nose enough when she had a cold, which eventually led to RSV. She always fought the "nose sucking" of course, and he weren't diligent enough. Snuck up on us pretty quick, for a couple days there it was just a cold, then one evening all of the sudden here came the wheezing. Ended up in the ER, they ran a tube down her nose and sucked out all kinds of gunk, and basically lectured us on the correct way to aspirate.

Not trying to scare you or anything, just mentioning it as something to watch out for. If you don't already have a good one of those bulb-sucker things, get one, and don't be afraid to be mean with it. Otherwise, if he's not running a fever, is not listless and is not having trouble breathing, all they're going to tell you to do is to push fluids and basically grin and bear it.

He fights it hard by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jan 02, 2011 at 10:37:39 AM EST
and when we do try, we get..not much. His congestion, runny nose or not, seems inflammation based, rather than mucus. Or we're doin' it wrong.
---------
I've never used ours yet by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jan 02, 2011 at 10:30:30 PM EST
The Dude's nose was never stuffy, it just always ran.  We did shoot saline in his nose a few times (over the years) to flush things out, but never the sucker.

Hard to tell by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Jan 02, 2011 at 03:55:21 PM EST
It always is hard to tell with those little buggers.  You'd swear our little guy in his first year had something in his chest all the time, yet it was always clear.  It was just how he sounded.

____