Print Story Cut the music.
By gzt (Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 03:09:24 PM EST) gzt, vaccines don't cause autism, germ theory, cars, textbooks, squats (all tags)
Cut the music. What I'd like to have right now, is for all you fat, out of shape, inner city sweathogs...keep the noise down while I show your ladies what a real man looks like. Hit the music.

Woo. Weekend. Did stuff. And things.

Still reading The Virgin in the Garden. Still quite interesting.

I like passiveaggressivenotes.com .

Listening to The Rolling Stones these days.

Watched some Futurama last night with Teh Wife. Good times.

Squatted 405#x5 yesterday. I was good for more (either sets or reps), but I just wanted to hit that mark and leave. I have had a cold for the last couple weeks, so I've been taking it a little easy. Seriously, this is an annoying cold. 90% of the time, no symptoms, but occasional sneezing fits and occasional breathing difficulties (this is bad at night).

We're considering getting a car sometime. We've been car-free for almost a year, but occasionally miss having one. We rent cars for trips and subscribe to a car-sharing service, but sometimes having a car would be nice. Hanging out with people for an afternoon gets cumbersome if you pay for the car by the hour, but they may be far enough away that cabbing it both ways is also prohibitive. Having to rent also encourages us to shorten the length of trips, which is also not ideal. So we ran the numbers and decided that it may, in the future, be worthwhile to get a car. Used, old, good enough to survive for a few years. Like the car I used to have, except I won't wreck this one. Anyway. We've saved money so far by not having a car, and would save money by not having a car, but sometimes you want to get stuff done and having a car makes it easier.

They just gave me a cake. Woo. I guess this delays lunch.

Am considering buying an old edition of the textbook for one of my classes. He does not grade the homework, so slight differences there are irrelevant. The book has probably not been thoroughly reorganized, so the sections probably correspond well to each other. The list price is exorbitant. ($200, but amazon offers for $165, used on amazon for $138).

Speaking of which, am mildly annoyed that the instructor for one of the courses does not have midterm dates nailed down more than a couple weeks in advance. I intend to be there every week, of course, and would only miss for something very important, but it would be nice to know ahead of time if something were coming up whether I'd absolutely have to be back on Monday or if I could skip one day.

Teh Wife has informed me that there are people who deny the germ theory of disease. I am shocked and amazed. I still do not completely comprehend. I can comprehend weak versions of this that say, if you're truly healthy, the germs won't cause disease (they're mostly wrong and partly right, emphasis on mostly wrong). Anyway. I believe in the germ theory. I like vaccines. They don't cause autism. I'm actually somewhat skeptical of the HPV vaccine because one of the people who worked on it believes the cost/benefit ratio for it isn't good enough in the Western world.

< hugo winners | Some months are made in hell. >
Cut the music. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
car renting by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 03:24:17 PM EST
for trips longer than a few hours, renting from a non-hourly service may make more sense. My cousin who lives in the city and goes down to Monee (southern suburb in corn fields) for weekends to visit her family will rent a car from some place like enterprise for those sorts of trips.

out of curiosity, for your analysis, how often did you need to use a car, or for what purposes for owning to turn out to be more efficient than renting?

well, keep in mind... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 03:56:57 PM EST
...that it's not cost-efficiency, it's utility maximization (where the benefit of increased and more flexible utilization makes the cost worthwhile), and we're talking about a $3000 car with relatively cheap insurance.

We were thinking that, at the point where we do a few three-day weekend rentals per year, maybe a week-long trip, and consider doing the $50/month ZipCar subscription, suddenly owning a car is getting pretty close in terms of cost and the added utility makes up the difference. So I guess it's at $50/month in ZipCar usage, which we aren't even close to hitting, but were considering doing just to remove the barrier to going out and using it. I think we were estimating ~150 for a weekend. Gas not included in the reckoning because you buy it either way.

That's about where I ended up by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 07:03:20 PM EST
cost-wise when I decided to get rid of my car several years ago, except in my case I reasoned that having the car meant I used it more than I otherwise would, so renting meant I had the opportunity to save money in months where I ended up not using it, rather than having the sunk cost of the car+insurance.

Is the HPV vaccine ineffective in adults? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 04:29:20 PM EST
I don't see the point in vaccinating the 11 y.o. tarts, when a responsible parent would remind her that if she gets semen splashed on her cervix at too young of an age she'll likely get cervical cancer. Then show her a picture of what a woman with cervical cancer might look like.

Then she can get the shots when she's 18 and out of the house and no longer will bring the family into disrepute.

good question. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 04:38:40 PM EST
they only market it for ages 11-26. why not higher? perhaps they assume most people have been exposed by then.

disrepute? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 04:39:01 PM EST
You mean, like staying a virgin until being married, and finding out the husband carries the HPV virus?

She can examine his penis before marriage by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 06:49:11 PM EST
without sacrificing her virginity. If she's too squeamish, she can send him off for a doctor's report.

err uh, you're joking right? by R343L (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 07:47:33 PM EST
And referring to your followup, hopefully you're aware there aren't any reliable tests for HPV in men. And that even in women it doesn't test all varieties (and most "diagnosis" is by seeing an affect)?

In any casse, teenagers getting the HPV vaccine before becoming sexually active is the most obviously beneficial use of it. While I wouldn't say it is irresponsible for a parent not to encourage their teenage daughter to agree to get one, it's definitely irresponsible (in my opinion) for a parent to prevent their daughter from getting one.

Meh. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 01:48:51 AM EST
HPV usually goes away on its own in a year or two, asymptomatically in men. Hardly something for us to worry about.

yes, nothing to worry about for *men* by R343L (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 01:25:25 PM EST
But you seem to be arguing that it's silly for teenage girls to get the HPV vaccine. The trade-off there seems absurdly obvious: a greatly reduced risk of a very hard to detect and treat cancer, all with a single vaccination.

It was approved without long-term studies by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 09, 2010 at 03:34:00 AM EST
so when the next generation's cooters fall out from the vaccine, I guess a massive class-action lawsuit will make everyone whole again.

Or, you know, they could refrain from unprotected sex until around 23, when their cervices can better withstand the carcinogenic effect of semen. Free Will and all that jazz.

back to front by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 06:06:32 AM EST
In terms of minimising collateral damage to society, the 11 year olds without responsible parents should be prime targets.

That is Lord of the Flies time, for sure. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 10:59:53 AM EST

your cold by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 07, 2010 at 07:42:31 PM EST
sounds more like allergies.
---------
interesting idea by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 10:13:39 AM EST
If true, this means Claritin has stopped working for me, which is bad. I'm trying taking Benadryl throughout the day today to see if that helps, but, my nose is still sniffly.

claritin never really worked for me by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 08, 2010 at 06:45:47 PM EST
but i loved zyrtec.